Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 25,937 times

Advertisements

Well I guess i'll start with a little history, I was born and raised in a very small town in Michigan and love it but I got married recently and my husband was just offered a job with the border patrol. Out of all the options of places to go we settled on Arizona.

I am terrified of creepy crawlies spiders, centipedes and such but no so much with snakes.

I have also read alot of forums about how terrible the schools are and how mean the people are.

I am not too worried about the heat even in the warmest weather here I feel cold so I think ill do just fine.

I am very excited but I think I just need some people who actually live there to put my mind at ease.

BTW were moving to sierra vista.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassondrarose16 View Post
Well I guess i'll start with a little history, I was born and raised in a very small town in Michigan and love it but I got married recently and my husband was just offered a job with the border patrol. Out of all the options of places to go we settled on Arizona.

I am terrified of creepy crawlies spiders, centipedes and such but no so much with snakes.

I have also read alot of forums about how terrible the schools are and how mean the people are.

I am not too worried about the heat even in the warmest weather here I feel cold so I think ill do just fine.

I am very excited but I think I just need some people who actually live there to put my mind at ease.

Thank you in advance
Geez. Sierra Vista is a great place to live. Small town with amenities, lots of retirees and military types (employed, educated, diversity etc), national forest at your doorstep. Even the weather is perfect there. You got a great assignment. Quit worrying and start packing!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:59 PM

12 posts, read 25,937 times
Thank you so much!!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:14 PM

122 posts, read 210,067 times
I didn't see that many creepy crawlies when I lived in Phoenix. In fact there weren't any flying bugs at all. Some people did complain about scorpion infestations. But I think that only happens if your house was built on a nest.

The schools are bad in Phoenix mainly because many students don't speak english and that makes it harder for teachers. I learned about that straight from what teachers told me.

I didn't mind the heat either. Although after 2 summers it did start to wear on me. It was the dry weather that got to me. My body for some reason needs to be in high humidity areas. I was always tired, dehydrated, and was starting to get asthma. I think the asthma was due to a combination of new allergies, dryness, and air pollution.

People are not mean out there! Try living on the east coast! You will love how easy going and helpful people are!

I'm sure you will love it.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassondrarose16 View Post

Thank you in advance
Relax, Cassondrarose . . . the "creepy crawlies" here are far less threatening than those "Cat Size" Monster Mosquitos and other flying critter in Michigan. If you settle in a relatively populated area, critters will probably be non-existent.

Good Luck

Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Man, you have got it good....Sierra Vista has some of the best weather in the state, fine folks, great scenery, and very little to none of the problems associated with border towns for being just a few miles (20 or so) from Mexico.

Good shopping, restuarants and just a fine place to live.

You struck it good.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM

63 posts, read 230,730 times
Quote:
People are not mean out there! Try living on the east coast!
You got that right!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,771 times
I have heard great things about Sierra Vista and its not going to have all of the Creep Crawlers that lower elevation citys will have. You will love it

Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
SV is a fine town.....good mix of good people.....get involved in the community.....

keep your house or apt clean and the bugs will only bite you every few days.........

I hope your husband does well out here....I think there is a bit of a turnover problem in the Border Patrol, but training, I'm sure, is top rate and pay is probably decent....save up!!....some use the BP as a stepping stone to other more prestigious law enforcement gigs....does he speak Spanish?....

Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Sierra Vista -

Aside from Southern California, maybe the best weather in the entire continental US. Not too hot (upper 80's low 90's) in the summer, nice and mild (low 60's) in the winter, awesome views, big enough to have pretty much everything you need but small enough so that it avoids big city crowds traffic and crime.

What more could you want?

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona