Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 PM

21 posts, read 80,146 times

Advertisements

I am driving to California in June to work for the summer, and I am going to stop and see the Grand Canyon along the way. I will only have one day to tour the canyon and one time to see the sunset. Is it better viewed from the top of the canyon or the bottom of the canyon? Any recommendations for tours? I'm thinking about the Inner Canyon Jeep tour, either the daytime or sunset tour, which views the sunset from the bottom of the canyon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
If you only have literally one day, I think you will end up seeing it from the top, which will be beautiful. I don't know what the status is of helicopter rides over the canyon, but it's quite a trip. I did it years ago. The last time I was up there, we had a lot of fun with our bus driver on a rim tour. He had a lot of good information, and was very entertaining.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Definitely no expert here, WarEagle . . .

However, having visited The Canyon many times yet only a couple of times down to the bottom . . . The Impressive Sunsets are best viewed from The Top.

Good Luck and ENJOY!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I have to agree with Bummer. Iv'e been to the Canyon numeous times and there are numerous spots on top for great, actually fantastic, sunsets. On top you have miles and miles of unlimited views, at the bottom you have limited sunset views.
BTW, if you decide to hike down to the bottom and back up the same day, you best be in great physical shape. If you ride the donkey's down and back up, plant to spend about 12 hours or more.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
if you only have a day and an eve, don't even bother hiking below the rim for more than an hour or so...I've been to the bottom several times and it takes more time than you have....and the sunset view is not spectacular from below the rim

the "inner canyon jeep" tour: sounds like you've done some research....is this over at the Hualapai area west of the South Rim??....I don't know where a jeep tour is unless it's near Peach Springs and run by the natives over there....you may have more overall fun at the main area called South Rim inside the National Park boundary north of Williams on highway 64....though crowded, there is much to see and do there besides jeep tours and sunsets....and there is no road down into the canyon from this area of the South Rim....$20 fee to enter the Park....

in summer, the sunset will be a bit north of west, so look for a rim-top viewpoint that sticks out a bit with unobstructed views to the WNW that aren't blocked by trees, buildings, another part of the rim, etc.....you'll want to have that WNW view directly over the canyon "abyss" itself, not over trees or buildings.....

Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 AM

227 posts, read 535,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleAlumna View Post
I am driving to California in June to work for the summer, and I am going to stop and see the Grand Canyon along the way. I will only have one day to tour the canyon and one time to see the sunset. Is it better viewed from the top of the canyon or the bottom of the canyon? Any recommendations for tours? I'm thinking about the Inner Canyon Jeep tour, either the daytime or sunset tour, which views the sunset from the bottom of the canyon.
I see you posted this back in April, but I'd search on the net for Grand Canyon sunsets and the location of the photos taken and go from there if it was me.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Again, the OP posted in April about a JUNE trip. Been and gone, hope the OP enjoyed the canyon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona