Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,730,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Im wanting to move back, I guess I miss the greenery. I am not looking forward to the heat this summer. This is my 2nd summer here. The house is heating up already. Its 85 and Im miserable in here. I also feel land locked, even though the beach is only 5 or 6 hours away. That still feels kinda locked to me.

Is there anyone here that feels this way about their move from the Pacific NW, and is looking at moving back?
From what I hear the Northwest is having the hottest summer on record with temps over 100 degrees and humitity in the 80% range. Makes Arizona seem mild. But if that's what you like nobopdy is holding you here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:38 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,368,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
From what I hear the Northwest is having the hottest summer on record with temps over 100 degrees and humitity in the 80% range. Makes Arizona seem mild. But if that's what you like nobopdy is holding you here
Not quite true.
We DID have a single day over 100 (103 - the hottest on record) but humidity was very low that day - same as Tucson on that day. In fact, when I checked Tucson at 10:30 that night, the temp was within 1 degree of Tucson (1 degree hotter in Seattle actually) and the wind and humidity conditions were identical. A couple of days earlier, when the heat was just starting, we had a couple of days where the humidity had lingered (and was in the 50% range) but the temps those days were much cooler - still hot for Seattle mind you (upper 80's and low 90's) but not 100+. Those conditions (high humidity and high temps at the same time) are VERY rare in Seattle - and didn't last long as the hot air soon scoured out the humidity.

Having said all that, it HAS been a much warmer than normal summer here - just not typically Arizona hot.

Ken

Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,730,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not quite true.
We DID have a single day over 100 (103 - the hottest on record) but humidity was very low that day - same as Tucson on that day. In fact, when I checked Tucson at 10:30 that night, the temp was within 1 degree of Tucson (1 degree hotter in Seattle actually) and the wind and humidity conditions were identical. A couple of days earlier, when the heat was just starting, we had a couple of days where the humidity had lingered (and was in the 50% range) but the temps those days were much cooler - still hot for Seattle mind you (upper 80's and low 90's) but not 100+. Those conditions (high humidity and high temps at the same time) are VERY rare in Seattle - and didn't last long as the hot air soon scoured out the humidity.

Having said all that, it HAS been a much warmer than normal summer here - just not typically Arizona hot.

Ken
I'm in Soierra Vista 60 miles and ten degrees cooler than Tucson

Old 07-31-2009, 11:46 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,368,221 times
Quote:
I'm in Soierra Vista 60 miles and ten degrees cooler than Tucson
OH yeah!
LOVE Sierra Vista's climate - aside from parts of coastal SoCal, best in the continental US in my opinion.

Our land at J-6 is almost identical in that regard (mainly because we're at a similar elevation (4,200 feet)). Summer highs typically in the upper 80's and low 90's. Winter highs in the low-mid 60's.

Pretty perfect!

VERY much looking forward to moving down to the area - although with Seattle's weather as warm as it's been THIS summer, I'm perfectly happy here RIGHT NOW (that will change of course come this fall).

Ken

Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,272,239 times
Quote:
have moved, Its true what you say, apparently, when I got on the free way there were no road blocks, the AZ State troopers didnt close the borders, althought they did ask me if I had some fruite when I reached Cali.

Im Back in PNW YEAH!!!!! AZ you were awesome, and I may yet return someday, (as a snowbird) but for now it feels great to be home.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 PM

80 posts, read 289,590 times
Left Seattle on the 26th of June, moved to Gilbert, Arizona. At the time we left Seattle, the weather was gorgeous blue sunny skies and no rain. I was leaving the PNW at its most beautiful time of the year and going to Arizona at the worst possible time of the year. Going through Bullhead city the temperature hit 118! I think that Phoenix was only about 110 that day. What a change! I loved the drive through the desert, the scenery was different, but beautiful. It is definitely a big change for me, moving here, and at times I wonder if I made the right move, I do miss the summers up north, but I think that in a few months when the rain and clouds move back in and I read the weather reports while sitting next to the pool in shorts and sandals that I might not miss Seattle quite as much as I thought.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:54 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,952 times
Richard, the best advice I can give you is to explore the state. Pick up some Arizona Highway's magazines and be adventurous. You'll soon discover, especially as the summer turns to fall, that Arizona is indeed a great state, and that your move was, in fact, a good one.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM

14 posts, read 49,072 times
I moved from AZ (Tucson) to WA (Olympia, southwest WA) a little over 2 years ago, and I think it was a mistake. I thought I wanted to live in a radically different climate, but all I really needed was a vacation.

It's interesting that another poster says they're sick of the "cliquishness" of AZ, when in the WA forum there's at least one looooong thread devoted to the "Seattle Freeze." And it's not just limited to Seattle - we've got it in my part of WA too.

But to each their own. WA isn't for me; AZ is.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,821 times
I'm doing the exact opposite. I currently live here in Olympia, but have only been here two years.

I was born and raised in eastern Washington and was used to highs of 105 or more in the summer, and enjoyed the heat. It amazes me how many people in Olympia complain about the highs of 90 we have been getting here.

While I didn't mind the weather of Eastern Wa, I really hated how it was a flat barren desert. The appeal Olympia had were the mountains and trees. However, I havent been able to find a decent job here and don't see things getting much better in the near future.

I know I will be laid off from my current job in Oct. and if I haven't found anything better, I am planning on moving to Lake Havasu for a month or so (I can get free housing staying with my dad) while looking for a job in Prescott.I'm just hoping that area provides me with enough activities and decent year round weather to enjoy outdoor activities -- Mountain Biking in perticular

Last edited by mosquitoman; 08-01-2009 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Bad spacing

Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,947,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
have moved, Its true what you say, apparently, when I got on the free way there were no road blocks, the AZ State troopers didnt close the borders, althought they did ask me if I had some fruite when I reached Cali.

Im Back in PNW YEAH!!!!! AZ you were awesome, and I may yet return someday, (as a snowbird) but for now it feels great to be home.
lucky! you got out of the heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona