Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,439 times

Advertisements

I live in Atlanta GA right now and I have been thinking about moving to Arizona for the past few years. So my questions for ya'll would be
1. How bad is the heat?
2.What city would you suggest to a massage therapist trying to work on their career?
3. How bad is traffic?

thanx so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 10:21 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Question @1: How bad the heat is depends on WHERE in Arizona you move. The Phoenix area for example is HOT, Tucson - just a bit less so, Sierra Vista quite a bit less, Flagstaff cooler yet. Elevation is key to the climate in Arizona and elevation of these various cities ranges from 1,000 feet to 7,000 feet or so.

Can't answer question #2

Answer to question #3 depends on where which location you are talking about. The greater Phoenix area is HUGE (reminds me of LA). All the other locations are much smaller with much less traffic.

Ken

Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
How bad is the heat? Well, you can read weather reports online. As far as how "bad" it is to anyone, that's a very individual determination based on personal tolerance. I would think you might prefer the drier heat to that in Atlanta, but you might not like the higher temperatures. And, the heat level does depend on what city you are talking about. The varied geography in AZ makes for variations in summer high temperatures.

Traffic? Well, it can be bad in the metro Phoenix area, but again, how "bad" one perceives traffic to be is largely dependent on commuting distance to work and to other locations that are frequent destinations. In smaller cities, obviously, less traffic.

I don't know how the massage therapy business is doing these days. There are still those who truly need it for medical reasons, but for others it's discretionary spending that they have to decide whether it is worth it. I would think there are more opportunities in the larger cities, just based on numbers.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
We travel to Atlanta quite often, and it's definetly hotter here in Phoenix. Even with Atlanta's humidity, it seems cooler there. Monsoon season here is very comparable to an Atlanta summer. Winter in Phoenix is like paradise. I've worn shorts on New Year's Day. My first summer in Phoenix was brutal, but I've learned to like it. Twilight golf rates start early...

Traffic is much more of a headache in Atlanta, although we have our moments here in Phoenix.

Like Atlanta, Phoenix has many transplants. Hey, I'm one of 'em....

Atlanta is much more eclectic, if that matters to you. Both cities have their good points.

You'll learn to love the rain.....

Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasimon View Post
I live in Atlanta GA right now and I have been thinking about moving to Arizona for the past few years. So my questions for ya'll would be
1. How bad is the heat?
2.What city would you suggest to a massage therapist trying to work on their career?
3. How bad is traffic?

thanx so much!
Hi Sara, I would strongly suggest a visit or two. This is an incredibly diverse state. In the summer it is hot in Phoenix, milder in Sedona and mild in Flagstaff (pretty much something for everyone). It is different here than anywhere else I have been so I always suggest, that anyone considering a move here, visit first and spend some time. Also during these tough times I wouldn't even consider a move without a job already lined up.

Lots of folks have moved here without any real idea of what Arizona is like and then they are unhappy. You can read it all through this forum. We love it but it is not for everyone.

Good Luck.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,512 times
what rain? unless you were born here and don't know any better, don't move here. It's a terrible place to live. My husband insisted on buying a house and land the day we came here on a run and I didn't but eight years later you can see who got their way. Now I'm trying like hell to get out along with my family. I will never come here again. I'm from Los Angeles and can't wait to go back. At least the people pretend to be your friend. My granddaughter is 6 now and has lived indoors since birth. I took her to the beach and she climbed trees and saw a snail for the first time. Come on people don't lie to the people who have never been here. just think of the word desert...deserted, stranded, destitute, isolated. I speak the truth. and Phoenix is not a big city. they go by square miles so it is a lot of sq. miles but a few buildings and they call it a big city. it sucks here nothing to do but eat and watch tv if you can afford the electric bill. not to mention i've been attacked in my sleep and in a stair well within five months apart. can't wait to leave. yes i will let the door hit me in the ass so i can get home faster. advice if you want it .... visit in the summer and see if you like it first...some people like the desert. me, i like the beach, traffic, buses, civilization.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 PM

260 posts, read 511,845 times
Moving from Atlanta GA, you may like it in Mohave County Arizona. But I think , it would be best to get advice from Oprah on where in Arizona to move to.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
Man, I don't know where Dragonkeeper lives but don't move there.....I live in NW Tucson, Oro Valley, and LOVE it. I moved from Ohio. I think it is wonderful but was with any where it is what you make it. Sure haven't been attacked and I hike alone and live alone. I can say stay away from South Tucson hear about a lot of crime south of town. good luck

Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasimon View Post
1. How bad is the heat?
3. How bad is traffic?

thanx so much!
1. Extreme oven like heat at the lower elevations in the summer. Might still feel better than the heat + humidity in Atlanta.

2. Huge numbers of old people throughout the state with nothing to do. Seems like there would be plenty of massaging business.

3. Traffic can be annoying in Phoenix but it's a dream compared to California traffic and probably better than most other big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona