Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,279,143 times

Advertisements

My thoughts were at one point if I were to move out to Arizona I don't think I would want to drive a car most of the time. I'd want a bike. I know they have the no helmet law but I'd keep wearing one anyway.
Anyway I'm wondering how hot it is riding a bike out there? Do you bake when you need to stop at lights? I know at times here it was terrible with the heat coming off the asphalt. How bad is it there? Do you guy's ride year round? Or take limit your riding time during the summer?
Also how safe are the street out there? Do a lot of bikers bite it? Here in Michigan people just don't seem to really pay as much attention to people on bikes as they should. That's why they put the loudest pipes they can find for their bikes no matter what brand. They might not always be seen but they are heard. Is it the same out there? Any info or stories you can provide would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 03:50 PM

894 posts, read 2,204,717 times
It is HOT. But not too bad. If feels good. I ride in full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) no matter what and how far. Full face helmet, full jacket with back, elbow and shoulder pads, jeans, gloves and tall leather boots.

Last year I was driving up Bell rd on the way to see my little brother and meet his new baby boy for the first time. I was pulling a stop, still going about 8 mph. I had a cars length between me and the person in front of me. Some old black woman tried to cut 2 lanes over, and hit my front tire, then slammed into the back of the car in front of me. Knocked me down, my knee dented my tank, I bent my handle bar, scratched my turn signal, the side of my engine, the paint, and game me one hell of a bruise on my hip. But I was fine. The people around me were PISSED OFF at the lady. One guy got out and kicked her car. Lol. For some reason, I took off. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Lessons learned.

This happened last July. Bout 115 out. Very hot. All my PPE is black too (matches the bike.)

When you are riding, it feels good. You don't really feel the heat. I don't care how hot it is, it is always safer to wear the gear. If you don't wear it, you are not going to feel your skin baking in the sun until you stop. Then you are done.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbatman86 View Post
It is HOT. But not too bad. If feels good. I ride in full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) no matter what and how far. Full face helmet, full jacket with back, elbow and shoulder pads, jeans, gloves and tall leather boots.

Last year I was driving up Bell rd on the way to see my little brother and meet his new baby boy for the first time. I was pulling a stop, still going about 8 mph. I had a cars length between me and the person in front of me. Some old black woman tried to cut 2 lanes over, and hit my front tire, then slammed into the back of the car in front of me. Knocked me down, my knee dented my tank, I bent my handle bar, scratched my turn signal, the side of my engine, the paint, and game me one hell of a bruise on my hip. But I was fine. The people around me were PISSED OFF at the lady. One guy got out and kicked her car. Lol. For some reason, I took off. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Lessons learned.

This happened last July. Bout 115 out. Very hot. All my PPE is black too (matches the bike.)

When you are riding, it feels good. You don't really feel the heat. I don't care how hot it is, it is always safer to wear the gear. If you don't wear it, you are not going to feel your skin baking in the sun until you stop. Then you are done.

Maybe some tech genius will come out with some air conditioned gear that plugs into the bikes electrical system. lol Glad to hear you were ok. You sound like a smart rider. I see so many people around here in shorts and a wife beater zipping in and out of traffic on crotch rockets.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Maybe some tech genius will come out with some air conditioned gear that plugs into the bikes electrical system.
It's already out there.

Along with air bags for the bike.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It's already out there.

Along with air bags for the bike.
I've seen the aribags on the Honda Goldwings. Seen a test video, pretty wild but I'd hate to have someone behind me and hit something.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM

894 posts, read 2,204,717 times
I am fixing on getting rid of mine when I get back from Iraq. It was fun at first, but after my first long ride, I hated the thing. It is still fun, but not practical. I am going to trade it in for a used harley sportster. I don't need a crotch rocket. Especially since I am moving back to the baron desert when I get out of the army. Too much open highway for me to do something stupid.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,360,664 times
I rode year round on the east coast and do it here too. Yesterday was kinda hot, today was ok. I wish using a cell phone while driving were a felony and vigorously enforced. Every single day I see countless people driving while texting or gabbing away and not paying attention. I was hit at hwy. speed on the 101 in March, but miraculously didn't fall down. I still got the idiot to pull over. Of course, two idiot teenage girls. One said I was in her blind spot. Yeah, I wear a flourescent yellow jacket, have HID headlights and foglights, this was in the middle of the afternoon. So hard to see.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:27 PM

214 posts, read 1,311,035 times
Helmet wearer but shorts also. City riding for the most part today for commute.

I don't find it really bad but the heat with a helmet on can get tiring about now. And your feet get hot if you do a lot of stop and go at rush hour. Moved here in 90 and consider it riding with a hair dryer blowing on your face!

Riding habit vary by rider. I try to be seen. Ride left lane to take advantage of the center turn when possible, avoid rush hour when I can and tend to favor the side surface streets with less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona