Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 PM

134 posts, read 348,072 times

Advertisements

Will be heading south to Phoenix in September. Willing to take a side trip along Route 66 once I get to Flagstaff.

What are some sites that are a "must see" along Route 66 in AZ? I am a historic buff, so places like old gas stations, neon light motels, etc. would be of interest to me.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
That's something I've been wanting to do myself.
First, Walnut Canyon National Monument is a must, whether traveling Route 66 or not. But it indeed has close ties to the Mother Road, so would be appropriate for the tour.
Second, this website should give you some further direction:
Arizona Route 66 - Traveling the Mother Road in Arizona

Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertusernamehere View Post
Will be heading south to Phoenix in September. Willing to take a side trip along Route 66 once I get to Flagstaff.

What are some sites that are a "must see" along Route 66 in AZ? I am a historic buff, so places like old gas stations, neon light motels, etc. would be of interest to me.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!!
I've done the Route 66 thing a few times and there are no bad spots, Insertuser. Especially The Diners and Gas Stations if you are a true history nut.

My advice is to allow as much time as possible and enjoy!

Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Also, go to the Amtrak station in Flagstaff. Wait on the brick station platform (behind the yellow--or is it white?--line) for a freight train to come quickly rumbling through--just feet away. It is quite a thrill!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Found this for you -
1920s Route 66 Gas Station in Cool Springs, AZ

www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14191

Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
lots of good old Route 66 stuff in Az, among the other states it went thru.....

going from east to west:

much of I-40 today crisscrosses the old alignment in eastern Az...back and forth, southside to northside.....if you're a hardcore 66 nut, you can figure out the old road over there to the side a few feet or a few miles.....and it was realigned itself several times, so you'll find old 66 and old old 66 sections.....drive down the old main streets in Winslow and Holbrook for some views of old auto courts, old restaurants, and a few old gas stations....most of these towns have tried to capitalize on the old 66 history and you'll see signs pointing out historic spots.....

heading west toward Flag, take the old alignment from Winona (a few miles E of Flag) and drive it into town on what's now called the Camp Townsend-Winona Road...that gas station at Winona (I think it's a Shell now - was a Texaco) has old postcards of it for sale....drive down Route 66 from East Flag all the way into town for a great collection of old businesses on one side and the main line of the Santa Fe RR on the other....check out downtown, too....then turn onto West Route 66 off Milton to get back to I-40....

west thru Williams, Ash Fork, and Seligman, old alignments again crisscross the current interstate....use your wits to find them....some are obvious....a great old concrete section of old 66 runs most of the way between Parks and Williams N of the interstate....drive down the old main streets of Williams, Ash Fork, and Seligman....if you have time, take the Crookton exit and drive an old section into Seligman....the longest remaining section of old 66 runs from Seligman to Kingman thru Peach Springs....it's a long two-lane section with a few old towns and a few historic buildings, but budget a few hours for this section

drive thru Kingman on the old road into downtown and look around....then navigate your way out of town to Oatman on the old 66 alignment....spend some time there....if you have time, continue thru Oatman on a very remote section of old 66 all the way down the long hill to Topock on the Colorado River, where you may recognize the old bridge from "The Grapes Of Wrath", now used as a pipeline bridge next to the interstate bridge...

google for more info....lots of stuff I didn't mention....great photo websites if you look around the net

Old 08-09-2009, 09:12 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times
Ok in Ashfork is a great historical museum located inside a original ADOT repair shop, they have great displays and even a old jail setup inside. Outside is a Roadgrader from the old route 66 days.
Again I would suggest taking the next exit west from Ashfork which is Crookton Road take that exit and go right and west into Seligman.
After a bit you will come to a spot that crosses over the railroad tracks, on the right is a old Rt 66 bridge that you can walk on and have the trains running underneath. On the left side of the road is a pull out with Picnic tables (well it used to be tables but I only saw one on my last pass by)

Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Found this for you -
1920s Route 66 Gas Station in Cool Springs, AZ

www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14191
That station has been restored but does not sell gasoline or Diesel. It is a Rte 66 curio shop.

I remember ca. 2005 when it was being rebuilt.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Ok in Ashfork is a great historical museum located inside a original ADOT repair shop, they have great displays and even a old jail setup inside. Outside is a Roadgrader from the old route 66 days.
Again I would suggest taking the next exit west from Ashfork which is Crookton Road take that exit and go right and west into Seligman.
After a bit you will come to a spot that crosses over the railroad tracks, on the right is a old Rt 66 bridge that you can walk on and have the trains running underneath. On the left side of the road is a pull out with Picnic tables (well it used to be tables but I only saw one on my last pass by)
Seligman is a motherlode of Rte 66 stuff

Old 08-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Here's some information on Walnut Canyon National Monument:

Walnut Canyon National Monument, Flagstaff, Arizona

Like I said before, it's history (as a park) is closely tied to Route 66, and it is Flagstaff's best kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona