Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved down here with 3 cockers... They go out to do their thing and come back in... They are getting cracked pads, I think from the hot ground and they aren't used to it??? Anyone else have this problem and what do you, or did you do... Right now I have paws in question taped and they quit limping...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Maybe some padded tennis shoes... Just kidding.

I had that problem a few years ago with a water spanial. Find the nearest vet clinic for cattle. Or a supply house for horses, cattle, tac and feed. Get some Teat Balm for milk cows. When a cow comes fresh and you start to milk her, she'll get sore, dried out and it will crack and get real sore. Resulting in you getting the daylights kicked out of you when you try to milk.

When my dog started having problems, I bought some and rubbed it in in the morning, and again in the afternoon. Took about a week to soften enough so the cracks healed and then the pads starting getting tougher. She was a happy camper each time I sat down and rubbed that salve in.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Maybe some padded tennis shoes... Just kidding.

I had that problem a few years ago with a water spanial. Find the nearest vet clinic for cattle. Or a supply house for horses, cattle, tac and feed. Get some Teat Balm for milk cows. When a cow comes fresh and you start to milk her, she'll get sore, dried out and it will crack and get real sore. Resulting in you getting the daylights kicked out of you when you try to milk.

When my dog started having problems, I bought some and rubbed it in in the morning, and again in the afternoon. Took about a week to soften enough so the cracks healed and then the pads starting getting tougher. She was a happy camper each time I sat down and rubbed that salve in.
I forgot about that..kind of thick and waxy right? Anyway just found a multipurpose feed store today to get food for the wild chickens that came with the place, so I can get this to try too!!! Tired of limping dogs, and my little guy actually lost the top layer of the pad...a little Neosporin and the bandage and he is much better, but I can see new cracks coming in the other feet...

Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 PM

69 posts, read 223,962 times
You can buy it at Walmart. It is called Bag Balm, comes in a small green tin container. Great stuff for dry skin, cracked soles and hands!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
You can rub their feet with ointments, but ultimately, they need to toughen up just like the human eastern and midwestern wusses who move here. . My dogs, both natives, don't have any problems except on hot pavement and even there, they take it in stride (pun).

Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You can rub their feet with ointments, but ultimately, they need to toughen up just like the human eastern and midwestern wusses who move here. . My dogs, both natives, don't have any problems except on hot pavement and even there, they take it in stride (pun).
LOL!!! I am native MN...but this wus is smart enough to wear shoes...I will wait until I toughen up a little to run barefoot....thanks for the advice

Last edited by Grannysroost; 09-11-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Hoping the dogs will toughen up once the weather cools a little and they adjust... :)

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
You can use the bag balm to ease the present discomfort, but the pads will need to toughen up, so don't keep them soft with the balm.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You can use the bag balm to ease the present discomfort, but the pads will need to toughen up, so don't keep them soft with the balm.
That's right. I started twice a day but after the cracks started healing I only did it in the evening for a week or two. Then I dropped off to once or twice a week. After that I only did it if we had a really hot day that was tough on her. I was in Texas for 4 years and only had to do it the first summer. After that, she was fine, but I kept checking on her.

Yes it is a real waxy stuff.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-12-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Service dogs who need to be out on hot pavement in all weather wear booties to protect their feet, and yes, they get used to it and leave them on! If you put grass in your yard, that will cut down on the heat factor substansially, it is pavement or rock that does the damage to sensitive pads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona