Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,446,600 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that we get ALOT of people that move here from Michigan, and I have never understood the appeal to people from MI besides that AZ is almost the complete opposite of MI.

Personally, if I had a decent paying job I would take MI over AZ anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 AM

72 posts, read 148,843 times
I think alot of Michiganders get sick and tired of the cold, depressing falls and winters. There certainly are alot of grey skied days here.....and it does get depressing after a while. For alot of us (I live and was born in Michigan) the sun, warm weather, and variety of Arizona has alot of appeal.

The other thing is; jobs in Michigan are declining at an incredible rate and have been the last 2-3 years. Our unemployment rate was 16% this summer........but thats not counting the people who have already lost their benefits. There are alot of places closing here......and in the towns that these places are closing there certainly isnt a whole lot of other opportunities for people looking for decent paying jobs.

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My Mother, Step-Father, Brother, and 3 sisters all have recently moved to Goodyear. When i was out there visiting this past February it sure was hard to leave and come home. It was 60's,70's, and even low 80's when we were out there......and sunny every day! I found it rather enlightening seeing the sun all the time and being outside in shorts....vs at home here where it was -25 and snowy when we got home with no sun in the sky for the next 2 months. It was very depressing.

My wife was born and raised here in Michgigan and most likely will never leave. I however would love to see what Arizona has to offer. I am sick of seasonal depression that Michigan gives me and also sick of living in this little town where this one place i work is the only place i CAN work with the schooling and training i have. It sure is scary to think about what would happen if this place ever shut down.

I did not want to post this to sound like a big grinch or someone who bashes Michigan.....just wanted to give you my personal perspective as someone living in Michigan wishing he were somewhere else every single day!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,373,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I have noticed that we get ALOT of people that move here from Michigan, and I have never understood the appeal to people from MI besides that AZ is almost the complete opposite of MI.

Personally, if I had a decent paying job I would take MI over AZ anyday.
Let us know when you find a decent paying job in Michigan. . . .

Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Let us know when you find a decent paying job in Michigan. . . .
I lived in MI for a few years, I forgot to add that to my OP. When I was there I worked at Walmart for $8/hr but I lived with family so I didn't need anything else.

There seems to be a lot of good paying factory jobs, my cousin who still lives there works in a factory making cereal boxes for $22/hr, no college degree, no high school diploma. He offered me a entry level job if I ever move back making $15/hr which could get a house in MI.

On the other hand, my fiances sister lives in Kalamazoo, a rather large town, and hasn't had a job in 6 months.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 AM

Jobs are very hard to come by here in Michigan.
Seems like jobs around here are considered good when they pay anything over 10$/hr.....and thats pretty sad!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,374,719 times
Its pretty sad to hear about the problems of the people from Michigan, who seem to be very proud of their state. Besides having to deal with the problems of unemployment, they are also depressed with their weather as well. I certainly wish them the very best. We welcome you to Arizona, and hope things work out here for you all.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 AM

I don't see why everyone hates the weather, I loved the snow personally, but I guess if you live there your whole life it's different.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 AM

its not necessarily the snow......its the 6 months of grey skies, not seeing the sun, and not being over 10-15 degrees outside for a high temperature during the day that really sucks after a while.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 AM

314 posts, read 926,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
its not necessarily the snow......its the 6 months of grey skies, not seeing the sun, and not being over 10-15 degrees outside for a high temperature during the day that really sucks after a while.
Absolutely!
I lived there for a few years. Grand Rapids averages just over 200 days per year of overcast skies. When you've grown up in the west and seen the sun constantly, that's really tough to take. 2 years there is all I could handle.
I loved the fall there (leaves changing, hunting seasons, etc.), but I didn't care much for the other 3/4 of the year.
My wife OTOH would move back there in a heartbeat! Different strokes...

Old 09-17-2009, 06:13 AM

4,578 posts, read 4,125,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
Did the move to AZ and hated it. There is just too much sun in AZ. I find it annoying like some people find Michigan winters depressing. Plus, I've never heard of too much gray skies giving you skin cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona