Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 34,960 times

Advertisements

I am from the south suburbs of Chicago and i have been in arizona for two years. I have lived in both the south and california. Everyone bags on the south with racist stereotypes. The whole u.s. has race issues. No one region is better than the other. People need to quit pointing the finger sometimes racism is more hidden than a confederate flag. And yes I have seen those in mesa and scottsdale. So to all my AAs visit this place first before you move here. Arizona is not for me and I am through with forcing this place to work. I am throwing in the towel and am on here to find a place to relocate. The overall lack of culture especially real positive AA culture can drive you crazy

Last edited by newglyph312; 06-23-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 06-23-2007, 10:15 PM

477 posts, read 1,585,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newglyph312 View Post
I am from the south suburbs of Chicago and i have been in arizona for two years. I have lived in both the south and california. Everyone bags on the south with racist stereotypes. The whole u.s. has race issues. No one region is better than the other. People need to quit pointing the finger sometimes racism is more hidden than a confederate flag. And yes I have seen those in mesa and scottsdale. So to all my AAs visit this place first before you move here. Arizona is not for me and I am through with forcing this place to work. I am throwing in the towel and am on here to find a place to relocate. The overall lack of culture especially real positive AA culture can drive you crazy

So, where ya going????

Old 06-24-2007, 10:25 AM

95 posts, read 467,213 times
Same reason why i'm here because of my job. I don't plan on staying here to long myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newglyph312 View Post

Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,350,982 times
There are 5 generations of my family who live in AZ. It is rare to find natives but 5 generations of African Americans who are native to Arizona is almost unheard of. AZ can be a hard place...racism is suddle and institutionalized. Native African Americans have learned to accept it as a way of life. However people who come from other places challenge the norm. U and your family will experience a culture shock. Especially in North Scottsdale. U will not find very many African Americans at all. U will find in AZ the African American community is spread out and many people just keep to themselves. There are not a lot of activities for families. Did u know AZ would not even pass the Martin L. King Holiday until the Superbowl said they would not come? Did u know African American children are disporportionately under-educated in comparison to peers of other ethnicity? Did u know the education system in AZ ranked it the lowest 10 states in the nation? AZ is a hard place for African Americans: u will experience racism, but it sounds like u have financial resources to empower u to find the best school district for your children or u can put them in private schools and u will be living in an upper-class area so this should help in overcoming some of the hardships African Americans face here. I think once u get here u will find your way. U will learn to adjust, survive and thrive. We have intensley hot summers, but u will love our short winters. I hope I have been of some help. Please feel free to PM if u have any specific questions are need information. I will be happy to help. Good luck to u and your family.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Before i moved here i lived in Illinois (Suburbs) which was Predominantly white, both my kids hang with white kids. I don't have a probably at all with other races, i just don't like when my race (black men) act funny or don't like like to date black women. Now as in for the schooling here i notice Arizona is way behind, my daughter is going into 8th grade next month and the stuff did earlier this year she did last year in IL....which helped her grades even more (smile). I haven't decided where i want to move but TX (Dallas, Austin) keeps coming up in my mind.

Thank You

Old 06-24-2007, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 25,637 times

I'm also looking to move. Can I ask, what brought you to AZ? Trying to make this place work can kill you. It is def not the place for a single AA woman.

I was thinking Chicago, DC or MD area...

Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,229,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzlushn View Post

I'm also looking to move. Can I ask, what brought you to AZ? Trying to make this place work can kill you. It is def not the place for a single AA woman.

Definitely give DC, VA, MD a look....AA do well.........especially if you have a college degree.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 AM

My job brought me here.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,350,982 times
Quote:

I totally agree with u. I am getting out of here the first chance I get too. If u have lived here all your life I noticed our mentality is very different from AA who relocate here. I am considering moving down south maybe where the AA community has a voice or maybe some place else. I am just tired AA men who refuse to show AA women the proper respect. I can no longer stomach the miseducation of AA children and the stand-still or decline of socioeconomic empowerment of AA in the Valley of the Sun. I do not want to have to learn to speak Spanish to be competitive in the job market. And I am tired of struggling in a system that is overall AA unfriendly. AZ will always be home because I was born here, but too many things have changed without overall progress for the AA community. Plus I am concerned about the scarcity of resources to accomodate the population growth, illegal immigration, the increase in violent crimes and the high cost of living in comparison to relatively low wages. AZ is a good place to be from and not in Good luck to u in your relocation efforts

Old 06-28-2007, 12:03 PM

SUN QUEEN....you hit it on the head. I'm not from here and i do live here for right now but not for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona