Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 23,116 times

Advertisements

My point is this - RAH have seen that this AC system does not work in this model so they are now installing split AC systems in the new houses. My house is only 2 months old but they refuse to install the new split units in my house. I am still working on them..Tom

Old 12-22-2007, 10:28 AM

713 posts, read 1,463,931 times
stay away from Pulte.
see https://www.city-data.com/forum/tucso...lte-homes.html

and btw, RA also does split units on their homes in Tucson.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,675,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdow1 View Post
My point is this - RAH have seen that this AC system does not work in this model so they are now installing split AC systems in the new houses. My house is only 2 months old but they refuse to install the new split units in my house. I am still working on them..Tom
What model did you get if you don't mind me asking?
I'd try to come to some sort of agreement with them, and while I'd love for them to pay for all of it, I'm not sure that's going to happen.. This is how it is with spec houses.. We purchased one too. What you see is what you get for the price.

Having said that, since you know they are installing them in that specific model, see if maybe you can foot some of the bill, with them paying most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home_Kid View Post
and btw, RA also does split units on their homes in Tucson.
In NJ, it appears to go by house size / layout. Our sales lady explained it to us one day as we were checking out lots. Some models don't need the split unless they have the bump outs & sunrooms.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 PM

I bought the Magnolia II here in the Tampa area. RAH is now installing in the new ones a 3.5 ton unit for the downstairs and a 9,000 BTU ductless system(made by LG) for the upstairs room. Even though mine was a spec house, the 5 ton single AC unit in my house does not properly cool the upstairs. I'm already dreading next summer when the temp gets in the 90's. Tom...

Old 01-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Okay...I talked RAH into adding the mini split as a booster for the upstairs. They would not replace the 5 ton unit with a smaller one, but I AM HAPPY!!! Thanks for all the posts. Tom

Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdow1 View Post
Okay...I talked RAH into adding the mini split as a booster for the upstairs. They would not replace the 5 ton unit with a smaller one, but I AM HAPPY!!! Thanks for all the posts. Tom

Tom, glad to hear it worked out & thanks for posting back to let us know.

I never did find time to go check out the model you bought.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 42,584 times
Thumbs down Update to Final Walk Thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahHome View Post
I totally agree, once you sign, you're done. I received assurances on my final walk through that all of my discrepencies would be taken care of within a week. I didn't hear from anyone for a week and a half and then called the assistant superintendant myself. Like others that have posted comments here, we are waiting for decisions to be made by "someone" at Richmond American. I also discovered that the construction superintendants are not required to hold a contractors license. This explains a lot. If you build with Richmond you must watch them constantly. Since the "leaders" of the construction department have no or little constuction knowledge, it is up to the buyer to identify problems and bring them to their attention. Of course that doesn't mean they will address your concerns. Good luck to all who build with Richmond American.
As you can see my last "post" to this forum was in September 2007 and it is now January 2008. We are still waiting for items to be repaired as promised within a week. We finally moved in prior to Thanksgiving but had to spend all of the holidays with a smoke/CO detector in the kitchen that would chirp every time we used our oven. Two weeks ago we met with the Richmond representative to discuss our "30 day" (they must use a different calendar than the rest of us) concerns. The electrician was notified of the smoke/CO detector issue and promptly came out to replace ALL of the units (3) because a factory recall. Why wasn't Richmond aware of this issue? We are still waiting for an $8 bag of lava rock to be installed in our fireplace. All of this was documented in the "survey" sent out by Richmond and we didn't pull any punches. We also asked to be contacted by Richmond's senior management and have heard from no one to date.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahHome View Post
As you can see my last "post" to this forum was in September 2007 and it is now January 2008. We are still waiting for items to be repaired as promised within a week. We finally moved in prior to Thanksgiving but had to spend all of the holidays with a smoke/CO detector in the kitchen that would chirp every time we used our oven. Two weeks ago we met with the Richmond representative to discuss our "30 day" (they must use a different calendar than the rest of us) concerns. The electrician was notified of the smoke/CO detector issue and promptly came out to replace ALL of the units (3) because a factory recall. Why wasn't Richmond aware of this issue? We are still waiting for an $8 bag of lava rock to be installed in our fireplace. All of this was documented in the "survey" sent out by Richmond and we didn't pull any punches. We also asked to be contacted by Richmond's senior management and have heard from no one to date.
I'm sorry you are having problems.

You mention senior management.. I did a search of MDC Holdings, got Richmonds page here - the whole management team is listed. Scroll down, looks like you want John Stubbs. I also went to switchboard.com and looked up MDC Holdings (http://www.switchboard.com/swbd.main/dir/results.htm?cid=&MEM=1&ypcobrand=1&PR=&ST=&inputwh at_dirty=1&KW=MDC+Holdings&initial=&inputwhere_dir ty=1&LO=Utah&SD=-1&search.x=0&search.y=0 - broken link)

Hopefully something there can help you.

You should have business cards. Have you tired writing letters?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 46,998 times
My suggestion... as with any builder: make sure you want to live there... make them spell things out. Build date, refunds, cancellations, policies regarding EVERYTHING!, contingencieswhat are your options based on market value and sale of your present home. Builders protect themselves! Good luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 16,405 times
Default Still waiting for completion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygeewhiz View Post
I am also building a Richmond American Home in Utah...errr...or shall I say trying to build one. It's been almost three months now since the contract has been signed and they still haven't started. They apparently have been having problems with the land developer. My question is, why are they selling houses if issues with the developer still exist? We were told that they should start construction in about a month...which puts completion sometime in the middle of winter. It's going to be a great time to move and I look forward to digging out my vintage moon boots to trek through the snow.

...and yes, you do have to upgrade just about everything in the house at the design center. Included features will basically give you a cardboard box with a flashlight hanging by a string.
I now know why Richmond puts a contractual 12 month time frame to finish your house. It has been nearly 11 months since we signed the contract on our house. They are now 3 weeks out from completion. The house we are building is only 2200 square feet! The house sat for several weeks with OSB exposed to wet weather. It makes me wonder what kind of long term affects this will have on the house.

They are barely going to make the 12 month time frame, but if they missed it by 1 second, I would opt out of the deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona