Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,903 times

Advertisements

Hi. Brand new here. My husband and I are seriously contemplating a move to Arizona (from Massachusetts). We know there's lots of research to do regarding employment, housing, etc. That said, wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of employment opportunities in "human services"? My husband works for an agency as the director of a small transitional house, serving homless people, many of whom are in recovery from substance abuse. He runs the house and also does "case management" of some of the residents. While I am confident I can find work, as my background is more diverse, he is (rightfully so) very concerned about the job possibilities for HIM. Many companies won't even consider talking to someone unless they are already living in the state. Yet we don't want to move without him having a job lined up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
The budget shortfall in AZ is VERY large. Social services have been severely impacted, but in terms of the goverment (primarily state, but there are issues with county and city as well) agencies providing those services directly and the private facilities that depend largely on govt. funds and private contributions (which are also down in this economy). I would not be planning to move here, and find work in those fields, ANYTIME soon.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:40 PM

172 posts, read 422,776 times
I worked in the field for years, but it's been awhile since I've been in the loop. By and large Phoenix (which is one of my least favorite big cities) is where the jobs are if they're to be had. Most smaller towns in Arizona (with better air quality and light traffic) have but a sprinkling of non-profits and what government social services jobs there are, are scarce. I have a graduate degree in social services and took a b-i-g wage cut coming to AZ, but (not telling you what you don't already know) cost-of-living is much, much less than in the northeast. Two possible employment opportunities come to mind: Prescott, Arizona has a very good job skills and employment live-in/out program for adults with learning disabilities. (I can recommend Prescott as a nice area to live in Arizona). Camp Verde, Arizona has a live-in/out facility called "Rainbow Acres" which is also worth checking out (but I can't recommend Camp Verde as a place to live unless you can afford a home on acreage). Can your husband use an alumni member directory for networking with social service people who have already established themselves in Arizona? In this economy try everything!

Last edited by bongofury; 10-31-2009 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona