Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 19,569 times

Advertisements

Can you survive in Phoenix, Chanlder, Gilbert area with $100k per year salary?

I'm trying to get a general idea before finishing up job interviews, etc.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 PM

343 posts, read 553,568 times
Easily. I have a new large house, new car, hobbies, and go out for fun and I make less than $100k. You'll have plenty of cash to invest too, if you aren't in much debt. This answer depends on your current expenses and spending habits.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,100 times
Definitely! I think $100k is a great salary to actually "live" on. I think for a couple anything around $70+ is doable and still have money for fun (depending on your debt). If you have kids, that I don't know!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Thank you Nice.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird question because it depends on your personal habits, lifestyle, etc.

We have no debt. Maybe about a thousand in credit card bills but that's it. All cars are paid for, etc.

We have kids and they cost A LOT though!

Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,793,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr910 View Post

Opinions?
There are so many variables related to lifestyle and discretionary spending habits I can't really answer except to say that you should not only be able to survive, you could be very comfortable.

You can do some homework on your own to help you answer the question. Add up the expenses you are bringing with you: car payments and insurance, groceries, etc. Insurance will probably be higher here depending on where you are coming from, but your agent may be able to help you with that.

If you plan on buying a home, there are many mortgage calculators available on line. If you plan to rent, check the classifieds and websites for apartments and homes. If you have to pay utilities, again it can vary greatly, but as an example I live in a 1700+sq ft single level and electric averages under $225/mo for me. Water and garbage costs $70+/mo, but I have a pool which accounts for about $5-10 of that.

Something to consider also that has saved us a fortune is banking at a credit union. We have financed three cars through Desert Schools at 5%. If you have direct deposit and auto pay, they knock a .25% off that. Rates have gone up a little but they are still well below market average. They have better deals on all types of loans.

Kids? Yea, they get kinda pricey. I cover car insurance on five vehicles and pay for four cell phones. We now "only" make about 80k/yr since injuries forced me to retire and even with the above expenses (and more) we still manage to put several hundred into savings every month. If we can do it...

Old 05-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
There are so many variables related to lifestyle and discretionary spending habits I can't really answer except to say that you should not only be able to survive, you could be very comfortable.

You can do some homework on your own to help you answer the question. Add up the expenses you are bringing with you: car payments and insurance, groceries, etc. Insurance will probably be higher here depending on where you are coming from, but your agent may be able to help you with that.

If you plan on buying a home, there are many mortgage calculators available on line. If you plan to rent, check the classifieds and websites for apartments and homes. If you have to pay utilities, again it can vary greatly, but as an example I live in a 1700+sq ft single level and electric averages under $225/mo for me. Water and garbage costs $70+/mo, but I have a pool which accounts for about $5-10 of that.

Something to consider also that has saved us a fortune is banking at a credit union. We have financed three cars through Desert Schools at 5%. If you have direct deposit and auto pay, they knock a .25% off that. Rates have gone up a little but they are still well below market average. They have better deals on all types of loans.

Kids? Yea, they get kinda pricey. I cover car insurance on five vehicles and pay for four cell phones. We now "only" make about 80k/yr since injuries forced me to retire and even with the above expenses (and more) we still manage to put several hundred into savings every month. If we can do it...
Thank you for the honest feedback. It really helps!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:48 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,964,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr910 View Post

Opinions?

Pretty nice if you live within your means.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM

81 posts, read 362,190 times
$100K total family income?

I would say yes. When I moved to Phoenix our family income was about $70K/year. We bought a house with an approx. $1000/month payment (may not be possible now but you can adjust) and still had plenty left over for the 401K, savings account, going out to dinner/movies, road trip and other small vacations, and misc. expenses. We also spent $5k/year on our house repairing stuff for the first few years.

We had no car payments and very little credit card debt. No children though, that could make a big difference.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:03 PM

269 posts, read 1,258,712 times
!00k in arizona ,tell me where is it are they hiring,you can live like a king with that amount

Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,674,539 times
The answer depends totally on your debt. If you have to put out more each month than you bring it, it really doesnt matter what the numbers are, you cant afford what you are doing. If you bring in more than you put out, then yes you can afford what you are doing. If you are wanting to live a comfortable life in AZ and are not burdened with debt then 100K is more than enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: