Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 13,072 times

Advertisements

Well Dom, Arizona is great but one big problem here are the Home Owners Associations. For years they have been unregulated and lately infested by a group called the CAI full of attorneys. Instead of adding to a community, they look for ways to trump up violations and fines. So be very cautious. I would not buy a home that has an HOA and would not recommend anyone to do so in Arizona. They change to quickly from reasonable to disgusting.
Enjoy and have a great trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losconco View Post
Well Dom, Arizona is great but one big problem here are the Home Owners Associations. For years they have been unregulated and lately infested by a group called the CAI full of attorneys. Instead of adding to a community, they look for ways to trump up violations and fines. So be very cautious. I would not buy a home that has an HOA and would not recommend anyone to do so in Arizona. They change to quickly from reasonable to disgusting.
Enjoy and have a great trip.
Actually, I've been curious as to what some of these unreasonable rules are that some have complained about in HOAs. Could you explain further or offer some examples and tell me which community the problem is ocurring in?

Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,184,140 times
We have hundreds of HOA's in AZ. MOST of them are fine and really protect the value of the homes. There are just a few bad apples out there. Before buying a home do two things... first get a copy of the CC&R's and READ it. Secondly, walk around the neighborhood and ask the residents what they actually experience with the HOA.

I would NEVER buy a home without an HOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my home to retain it's value over time. Go take a good hard look at communities that have no HOA and most likely you will see dumps. Even homes that are just a couple of years old are CRAP! Cars in front yards without wheels, insanely painted homes, chickens in front yards (saw one the other day!) and so on! It USUALLY isn't pretty.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:59 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
We have hundreds of HOA's in AZ. MOST of them are fine and really protect the value of the homes. There are just a few bad apples out there. Before buying a home do two things... first get a copy of the CC&R's and READ it. Secondly, walk around the neighborhood and ask the residents what they actually experience with the HOA.

I would NEVER buy a home without an HOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my home to retain it's value over time. Go take a good hard look at communities that have no HOA and most likely you will see dumps. Even homes that are just a couple of years old are CRAP! Cars in front yards without wheels, insanely painted homes, chickens in front yards (saw one the other day!) and so on! It USUALLY isn't pretty.
Thanks, sablebaby. I would personally prefer an area that is protected by an HOA, but didn't want to get caught for two years with something totally unreasonable. I won't have the opportunity to fist walk or drive around an area to check it out first and talk to residents. We need to secure a house while we are still in the UK so that we can move right in once we arrive. I am bringing my medium sized dog and two cats with me so living in temporary accommadations won't be feasible. I have to rely on my ex-husband and my adult daughter to check out any place before we sign a contract to lease for two years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona