Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
P.S swimming is a definite no in the winter time here. Don't try it
Why not? We were swimming all last week here at 3500' elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,538 times
Sure is great weather in Phoenix right now!!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Driving into downtown this morning from the west just before sunrise, it really was beautiful. A clear day, the uptown tall buildings reflecting the light from the east, the downtown ones silhouetted black against the orange sky, the Superstiitions clearly visible in silhouette. A beautiful day in AZ, and, as a former governor used to say, leave us all enjoy it.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
We became sick of the morning temps in the teens in the Verde Valley. We have a little Winter place in Mohave Valley, south of BHC. The leaves are still on the trees and the sun shines almost everyday. Never have to worry about slipping on black ice.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:32 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,830 times
It was December a few years ago when I tried this out. It was about 5:30 and the sun had already set over Phoenix. Outside it was 50 degrees and dropping fast as twilight set in. First we went into his hot tube outside, then I jumped into his pool right next to us to get the thermometer. I insantly lost my breathe(I have ashtma)and froze.The temperature in the pool was about 38 degrees and colder at the bottom. Coming out of the 102 degree in the jaccuzzi to a nearly 40 degree pool.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:39 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Man I hate winter. I am already sick of living under artificial light 14 hours a day. The temps don't warm until noon. The sun is low in the sky and glaring. I went out to see the meteors this morning and it was cold and the wind was blowing. It was plain nasty and not worth freezing my tail for the two I saw.

Summer is miserable here, but at least I can drive away from it to a cool pine forest and a nice trout lake and enjoy long hours of daylight. There is no escape from winter - it only gets colder when you leave town.
You hate winter. Arizona winter. I'm utterly speechless.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 57,501 times
What are the daily average high and low for late Feb early Mar along I-40..i guess Flagstaff would be one city along there..

donc

Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 AM

223 posts, read 609,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Uhhhhhhhhh... I'm not sure you'll be leaving all of that behind. There is a lot of grass in certain parts here(not counting the natural grass), leaves start falling at about mid-December( trust me when they start falling the storm drains along the side of the road will clog up with brown dead leaves, but I'm sure it may not be as bad as Ohio), and lastly snow, snow, snow. In Arizona, as oddly as it may seem, any area about 3000 feet or above will be snowed on. That accounts for more than half the state, but some of the snow sticks temperarly as a winter storm passes through. It snows in Phoenix too on occasion. Last time was in, I think 2007, I don't remember, but it didn't stick for long. So say goodbye to your Ohio winters and welcome the Arizona winter.

P.S swimming is a definite no in the winter time here. Don't try it
None of those things listed (grass, leafs, snow) can even compare to what you get crapped on with in Ohio so it will be a HUGE improvement. When was the last time you spent hours mowing the lawn, followed by edging and trenching? When was the last time you spent all Saturday afternoon raking leaves only to have your lawn covered again by the next morning so you can do it all over again? When was the last time you got hit with 22 inches of snow, or didn't see the ground for months at a time? Phoenix is sounding pretty good to me.

Also, no swimming in winter??? I went out there last December and went swimming and loved it! There were no natives out but the water was great. The pool we were in was heated which made it heavenly. There was another pool which wasn't heated and that one was a bit chilly; but the experience was not far removed from a cool summer day at the pool in Ohio.

I am extremely envious of the Phoenix "winters".

Old 12-05-2009, 12:17 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Yesterday and today have been the only times this year when I wished for just a TINY bit of summer heat to moderate the temperatures a little. I don't mind a little cold weather once in a while, but this cold snap is accompanied by very dry air ... and the combination of the two can be hard on many plants & young citrus. The low temperatures have been in the upper 30s in most of Phoenix, but below freezing in the outer suburban areas. Usually these cold spells don't start occurring until later in December.

I hope that this upcoming Pacific storm will bring some significant precipitation. It's going to take a powerful storm system to just to moisten up the atmosphere because it's been ridiculously dry. They're forecasting between a half inch and two inches of rain in south central Arizona, and heavy snow for the mountains by Monday. I'll believe it when I see it!

Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmysawks View Post
None of those things listed (grass, leafs, snow) can even compare to what you get crapped on with in Ohio so it will be a HUGE improvement. When was the last time you spent hours mowing the lawn, followed by edging and trenching? When was the last time you spent all Saturday afternoon raking leaves only to have your lawn covered again by the next morning so you can do it all over again? When was the last time you got hit with 22 inches of snow, or didn't see the ground for months at a time? Phoenix is sounding pretty good to me.

Also, no swimming in winter??? I went out there last December and went swimming and loved it! There were no natives out but the water was great. The pool we were in was heated which made it heavenly. There was another pool which wasn't heated and that one was a bit chilly; but the experience was not far removed from a cool summer day at the pool in Ohio.

I am extremely envious of the Phoenix "winters".
If you think Arizona is all like Phoenix( hot, dry during the summer) that's where your wrong. But the 22 inches thing in Phoenix, of course not, that's why we go up to Northern Arizona to experience the 5-15 feet of snow up there. I once did spend half of Christmas Eve raking leaves into piles in our back yard. While I was flying in the passenger seat of a plane earlier today I did notice(especaily around the rivers) that all the trees are losing their leaves( well the cottonwoods, oaks, and other decidious trees)
The grass thing no, I haven't. You can take your prize there. And well the thing with us Phoecians and pools is that we usually don't heat them. Which is why you never see many people swimming during the winter time. Heck I dont swim in one during the spring. Do you have pools in Ohio?
And your right Phoenix winters are great. Although the 28 (plus wind chill) degree day we just had was a little too much like a Flagstaff spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona