Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,646 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family will be moving to Arizona in just a few weeks and are all excited about the change. I've visited twice and it really seems like a great place to live compared to Baltimore. I think I took my first breath of fresh air in life when I got there. My mother has lived in Mesa for almost 3 yrs now and I have a sister who moved there a year ago (both coming from Baltimore, MD). I have heard some not so good things from my family about "Being Black in Arizona" and trying to find work, housing... but I think they are just stuck in that Baltimore frame of mind ...which can be hard to break. They also don't have their own transportation and are pretty much "stuck" in Mesa or places they can get to by bus.

We are a young couple with two children (6 and 11). I am looking for a position as an Admin Asst or similar and my husband is a certified HVAC technician. We've put our resumes on Monster and CareerBuilder and have received nothing but positive responses. What worries me is that from all I've heard the response may be significantly different in person.

I've lived in Baltimore my whole life and the crime, increasing gang activity, school system and people are just old and boring to me at this point. Housing seems to be cheaper and much much nicer in AZ than Bmore. We're looking at the Queens Creek area to rent (we don't want to buy until we've been there for at least a year). Is this a good area to live, school...?

Please give your most honest, blunt opinions...trust me I can handle it. Black, white, hispanic... I'd like to get a good idea of what we're up against.

Thanks,

Nic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicci30 View Post
Hi,

My family will be moving to Arizona in just a few weeks and are all excited about the change. I've visited twice and it really seems like a great place to live compared to Baltimore. I think I took my first breath of fresh air in life when I got there. My mother has lived in Mesa for almost 3 yrs now and I have a sister who moved there a year ago (both coming from Baltimore, MD). I have heard some not so good things from my family about "Being Black in Arizona" and trying to find work, housing... but I think they are just stuck in that Baltimore frame of mind ...which can be hard to break. They also don't have their own transportation and are pretty much "stuck" in Mesa or places they can get to by bus.

We are a young couple with two children (6 and 11). I am looking for a position as an Admin Asst or similar and my husband is a certified HVAC technician. We've put our resumes on Monster and CareerBuilder and have received nothing but positive responses. What worries me is that from all I've heard the response may be significantly different in person.

I've lived in Baltimore my whole life and the crime, increasing gang activity, school system and people are just old and boring to me at this point. Housing seems to be cheaper and much much nicer in AZ than Bmore. We're looking at the Queens Creek area to rent (we don't want to buy until we've been there for at least a year). Is this a good area to live, school...?

Please give your most honest, blunt opinions...trust me I can handle it. Black, white, hispanic... I'd like to get a good idea of what we're up against.

Thanks,

Nic

We moved here from NC originally from oregon but moved to MD then NC. We are now considering a move back to MD for job. It is nice here, but there is ALOT of crime, illegals, schools have some serious issues and lots of smog. Weather right now is great, summer is the surface of the sun. lots of jobs and traffic. I like AZ, we thought we were going to stay, but this job offer back in MD is looking really good. Queen Creek is quite a haul if you are looking to work in Phoenix.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:29 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,642,143 times
I'm also Black and i'm in the process of moving to the area. I've been about 4 times and never really noticed any problems. Granted the Black polulation makes up a small # of the population, but the times i've been I haven't been treated badly at all. I think racisim can be a problem anywhere, but i've never felt out of place.

I'm coming from the NE (CT) and am moving for the same reasons, better weather, nice housing & job opportunities.

I understand what you are talking about when you site the "mentality" but I think expanding your horizions like you are attempting to do, helps solve that problem.

Good luck with everything!

Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,473,104 times
Arizona is very diverse in its demographics, there are plenty of black folk in Arizona. You don't need to worry.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:54 AM

43 posts, read 239,264 times
Default Learn Spanish

The Hispanic Population is really growing and employers are always seeking bi-lingual employees who can cater to them as well as the non-Spanish Speakers. I'm not aware of any racial issues with african-americans, but I'm caucasian and haven't walked in those moccassins. There is a lot of diversity here.

If you're looking at Queen Creek, you're in luck! The president of the National Resume Writers Association is based out of there and she's an AZ Native. Excellent source if you're seeking employment.

Also jobing.com is Phoenix-based and they hold great job fairs about 4 times a year. They just moved from the Convention Center to Cardinals Stadium in Glendale. All the info is at jobing.com

Good luck and welcome to the Grand Canyon State.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:59 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,024,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicci30 View Post
Hi Nic,

I can't be too helpful, but I wanted to say good luck and keep updating about your move. My husband and I are moving to the Tucson (most likely) area in the summer from MD. I couldn't agree more with you on the crime, housing, etc. situation. Good luck to you and keep me posted.

Mindy

Old 01-05-2007, 05:31 PM

647 posts, read 3,344,015 times
I'm from northern VA and spent time in Baltimore - the Phoenix area is totally and completely different. Not only does it look different, but people are MUCH friendlier - there's really no comparison. I think a large part of it is that no one is from here, so we're all more friendly b/c we all have to make new friends. Also, for the most part, people aren't as stressed from commuting and working 80 hours a week.

I don't know that there are any more racial issues here then there are back east. I think I've seen fewer reports on the Phoenix news about it then we did back east. There was a black family in the west valley building a house which was vandalized with racial slurs last month. It's made the news a few times as they're tracking down who did it, and Sherrif Joe has been interviewed on the news saying that he will not tolerate racial crimes. I actually think it's gotten more attention and that the family has received more sympathy then would have occurred back east. In the DC area, people are so often carried away with their own lives and problems they just don't care about things like this. Obviously that's a huge generalization, but it's my subjective opinion after living here 3 yrs.

Best of luck to you with your move.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,473,104 times
[quote=Boatdrinks;252954] Sherrif Joe has been interviewed on the news saying that he will not tolerate racial crimes.
QUOTE]

Is that how the local news refers to the Sheriff, "Sherrif Joe?" That is funny!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 PM

87 posts, read 643,880 times
Phoenix in general has more blacks than any other part of the state - which ins't much - but you should be fine. Honestly, most people aren't concerned about the color of skin, but a few are just naive and have never personally known a black person or have had very little contact. Again, you shouldn't be affected by the color of your skin and Arizona isn't the south as it's more diverse: caucasions, hispanics and plenty of native americans ... some Asians and a few specks of other people.

The recent racist vandalism occured in the West Valley. An AA couple was having the home built and some punks broke in and did a lot of inner damage and posted racist remarks. Sheriff Joe, who's tough like nails, didn't tolerate such act and posted a 10k reward for information leading to the arrest of the vandals.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:53 PM

295 posts, read 1,214,731 times
[quote=dusesean1986;253153]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Sherrif Joe has been interviewed on the news saying that he will not tolerate racial crimes.
QUOTE]

Is that how the local news refers to the Sheriff, "Sherrif Joe?" That is funny!
Yup. And by most everyone else, too. (Well, the bad guys prolly have other names for him.) His law enforcement techniques are ... ummm ... unorthodox, but effective, and he's pretty darn popular.

Nic, I can't address your Qs as they relate to the PHX area because I'm farther north. But I can say that "Sonic's" observations re acceptance and diversity seems to be the rule here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona