Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:09 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsavage View Post
I guess I'm pretty much certain we'll end up somewhere "close" to Phoenix. I'm just not sure where to find information, or how to even start looking at the surrounding cities. Which is my best option: Goodyear? Surprise? Sun City? Litchfield park? Even Casa Grande? I've seen all of these names come up and I'm unsure of which area's best for me. I suppose it's hard basing it on opinions alone. We plan on coming out to visit, probably mid-May (as I'm off before summer semester starts). But I feel like I should have at least a good idea of where to start looking before we pick up and go to spend a week there.
In relation to Delaware, I understand having a suberb extension of the city. Here, you can be in "Wilmington" and not be in the downtown "city" setting, but rather the suberbs w/ less of an urban, highrise feel. Actually, suburbs of Wilmington are much like the rest of the cities around here.
I think Goodyear and Litchfield Park should both be on your list of places to check out. I can't speak for other areas. I know people will say Scottsdale and Tempe given your age, but you're married and that singles bar and college age Mill Ave scene is not going to be a big attraction probably. What I am trying to say is I think the suburban areas are more what you seem to be looking for given your post, and Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Surprise, North Peoria - these are the best of them on the west side so do some investigating and have a look at those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,767,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsavage View Post
I guess I'm pretty much certain we'll end up somewhere "close" to Phoenix. I'm just not sure where to find information, or how to even start looking at the surrounding cities. Which is my best option: Goodyear? Surprise? Sun City? Litchfield park? Even Casa Grande? I've seen all of these names come up and I'm unsure of which area's best for me. I suppose it's hard basing it on opinions alone. We plan on coming out to visit, probably mid-May (as I'm off before summer semester starts). But I feel like I should have at least a good idea of where to start looking before we pick up and go to spend a week there.
In relation to Delaware, I understand having a suberb extension of the city. Here, you can be in "Wilmington" and not be in the downtown "city" setting, but rather the suberbs w/ less of an urban, highrise feel. Actually, suburbs of Wilmington are much like the rest of the cities around here.
just remember its all blended together from Goodyear to Queen Creek from Paradise Valley to Chandler. It's one big sprawl and you will not know when the cities change it's the same house and same strip malls. Zero seperation.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
just remember its all blended together from Goodyear to Queen Creek from Paradise Valley to Chandler. It's one big sprawl and you will not know when the cities change it's the same house and same strip malls. Zero seperation.
Hence my Casa Grande suggestion...since she said she didnt really want to be in the big city, but be close enough to it....

But, as I said, work for the husband wont be so easy unless he is willing to drive, and even then his field as not as needed as yours is here.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,923,899 times
You might want to consider Southern California. The weather is warm and there are more opportunities in aviation, especially corporate. The rent is higher, but will be the only cost of living factor higher as most everything else is the same as PHX. Our daughter just moved into a 2bd apt in Carlsbad, half mile from the beach, @ 1300 a month. It's just a thought for you to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona