Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,043,283 times

Advertisements

Its a good idea but the fed govt & others will fight it. I heard on the news many of the illegals are moving to ca from az cause they wont be harassed. That sucks!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,039,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Its a good idea but the fed govt & others will fight it. I heard on the news many of the illegals are moving to ca from az cause they wont be harassed. That sucks!
Then it works!

CA needs to pass that law. So does New Mexico, Texas, Nebraska, Oregon, Iowa, Michigan, Georgia........

Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 AM

238 posts, read 669,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Sure it will discourage them...the border is still wide open though. It will discourage many from staying in AZ. That doesn't solve the countries problem if they are just going to Iowa or NC instead of staying here. The article stated and I think that crime will go up. Why is someone going to want to have any contact with the police if they are going to ask them for papers. From what I understand, this allows the police to drive by my house and ask me for proof of citizenship, while I'm mowing my front yard. You don't find that a bit ludicrous?

In the other part of my last post I said I was all for full militarization of the border. The thing is a sieve and is only halfa**ed monitored. Until they fix that nothing else will matter. I don't need some silly law that seems a bit unconstitutional to me. Give me something that will make a difference. The employer law that is already on the books is a great law. To bad it's not enforced.
If you are here legally , then you should be happy to show them your card!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 AM

238 posts, read 669,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well this makes my case Strong , Annex the South. I'm tired of there racist and discriminatory behavior , you guys act like animals towards each other....in that Desert State called Arizona. Or Most Southern States , and blaming it on the Illegals , disgusting. Its not just there fault or there fault at all. Its the Drug Lords who come to this Country to Supply the "American Habit" which we have ignored for so long. Now i know i sound offensive but you guys have caused many people to think that. It seems that a Majority of Arizonans are bigoted and need a Cultural class or too. not all Hispanics are bad , and most of the ones that come here speak decent English and can hold a job. & To the people who say this is our land , we own it, no you don't the Native Americans will forever own it. I happen to be Hispanic looking , but i'm African American, i guess i way stay out of Arizona , even if i have to dip into Mexico or the Northern states. What about all the African Americans just like me? We are the most Racial profiled Race in this country , our you trying to Start a Race war?
Nope, all AMERICANS are tired of this and as an AMERICAN you should be too What point do some seem to miss. We welcome those that come here the legal way! LEGAL WAY, LEGAL WAY I'm in GA not AZ and I also hope all states start doing this.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 AM

286 posts, read 640,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post

Sweet!...

Right, that means it's working. What was the news story? Ranch 99 markets lost something like 300 employees when this law was passed?

Here it is:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...s-workers.html

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,254,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I've never understood that. I'm not a fan of the the new law. But come on, flying the Mexican flag and doing chants in Spanish. Not really helping their cause.
Are you a fan of any law the protects your private land?

If the federal government would do it's job there would be no need for this law.

It's time for the feds and local governments to stop their pandering to illegals and businesses that hire them!

They even did a poll here and 73% were in support of the new law...

Just checked and it up to 75%...

Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 AM

286 posts, read 640,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Are you a fan of any law the protects your private land?

If the federal government would do it's job there would be no need for this law.

It's time for the feds and local governments to stop their pandering to illegals and businesses that hire them!

They even did a poll here and 73% were in support of the new law...

Perfect reply.. X2

Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,775,768 times
I sure hope Texas or California dont pass something similar. I cant see they would. Texas might be a conservative state, but its always been more open minded on immigration and ease of work permits. California is open minded about everything. Not to mention immigrants make up a much larger part of Texas and California than they do of Arizona. It would be harder to get support for it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,254,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I sure hope Texas or California dont pass something similar. I cant see they would. Texas might be a conservative state, but its always been more open minded on immigration and ease of work permits. California is open minded about everything. Not to mention immigrants make up a much larger part of Texas and California than they do of Arizona. It would be harder to get support for it.
Texas cannot issue work permits to immigrants legal or not... Only the federal government can do that...

I don't know where you are getting the open minded part about illegals other than it's liberal politicians sucking up for votes...

Didn't you even bother to read where I posted that a local poll supports the new law by 75%

Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,025,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If the state wanted to clamp down on car thieves – would you expect them to issue a law to stop every tenth car on the highway and verify if the driver is the licensed owner?
No. But I would expect them to stop every car that purposely did not attach license plates. Or that is unreasonably broken down. Or that has a nonoperational driver or passenger window. Because all of those are indicators that a possible car theft has occurred. Which is exactly what the immigration law is attempting to do.

Quote:
Or if you’re a homeowner and they wanted to reduce the number of home burglaries – would you want them to make a law and knock on anyone’s door that “might” not be the owner of the house?
No. But a burglar is not going to answer a knock. I would be perfectly ok with them roaming neighborhoods on occasion for signs of possible burglary, or negligence by residents that could lead to burglary, such as doors/windows ajar, windows with no screens, screens with cuts or holes, broken or angled garage doors, or suspicious vehicles parked out front with someone sitting inside for extended periods. Because all of those signal possible bad intentions. Which is exactly what the immigration law is trying to do.

Quote:
So why is there such a law to prove I’m a citizen when I’ve done nothing wrong other then be in this state. Oh,,, probable cause you say. Am I the tenth person in a line, or the driver of a car, or an owner of a house, or is it just because I’m brown? The profiling is against my civil rights.
Or maybe you're just acting funny. Perfectly valid to ask for your papers and you know what...you, if you're an American citizen, should be proud to just show them quickly and let the officer be on their way.

Quote:
Remember the “drunk driver” roadblock and pullover. This is where the police set up roadblocks and then check every tenth car or every twentieth that drives by to see if the driver has been drinking. At least it’s a law that isn’t profiling the drivers.
I'm glad you brought this up, because you just pointed out a double standard.

The officer in the rolling checkpoint IS profiling; you just don't realize it. They look for signs such as erratic driving, strange mannerisms of the driver, groups of people (usually indicates they came from or are going to a party or something), and males, most commonly. They are instructed to also stop those that fall outside of "the standard" to maintain status quo, but they are looking for common factors just like any other identification. Which is exactly what this immigration law is trying to do. Same thing with the border checkpoints between Arizona and California - they're there to identify illegal immigrants, drugs, weapons, etc. and they profile.

So explain to me why the DUI checkpoint is cool yet the immigration law is not? Is it because the DUI checkpoint helps save lives? You know people raised a stink about that over profiling too, yet people have now readily accepted it as the best way to get drunk drivers off the roads. The immigration law will be no different, as it's the best way to get salary levels back up, jobs back available, and crime down, at least for the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona