Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 AM

31 posts, read 131,014 times

Advertisements

After reading the "Summer Heat" posts regarding PHX, I have a question about the Sierra Vista area summers. My hubby is going to be working as an electrician, both outside and in uncooled indoor areas. Sierra Vista is somewhat cooler than PHX, but how is it to work outside there? We're no spring chickens anymore (early 50's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,408 times
as with most places in az it can be a killer but it's nothing as bad as phx.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 24,328 times
It'll be hot, but it won't be that bad. If you're lucky (depending on when during the summer) you may catch the short little rainy season

Old 06-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Would that short little rainy season be the monsoons? I thought they lasted 3 months! I'm interested in how long they last and what kind of weather they produce. Does it get humid and sticky every afternoon that it rains? The term 'monsoons' makes me think of tropical islands, so I was really surprised to hear it describing something in Arizona. Sounds great - we love thunderstorm watching, too!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM

17 posts, read 95,601 times
For me, when I'm working outside first thing in the morning, and staying outside all day, its not bad. Its just when I go in and out of air conditioning is when the heat is uncomfortable.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM

106 posts, read 643,307 times
Smile sierra vista

ws-sisu,

We just put our house up for sale,we are also relocating to sierra vista.I have a few family members living in hereford & bisbee,they LOVE it I hope we will tooooooo.Good luck. Everyone says its a different kind of heat.we are from upstate N.Y.My husband does air conditioning and also works outdoors.
we are also in our early 50's(we are just had it with the cold and snow).
where are you from?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1956 View Post
ws-sisu,

We just put our house up for sale,we are also relocating to sierra vista.I have a few family members living in hereford & bisbee,they LOVE it I hope we will tooooooo.Good luck. Everyone says its a different kind of heat.we are from upstate N.Y.My husband does air conditioning and also works outdoors.
we are also in our early 50's(we are just had it with the cold and snow).
where are you from?
jcs, is 1956 your birth year? It's mine - I just turned 51 this month

When are you moving to S.V.?

We live in La Crosse, Wisconsin. We're lucky to live on the beautiful Mississippi River, but the humidity is nearly unbearable most of the summer (we're often the hot spot in the state) and the cold, wet winters are hard on arthritis.

We know firsthand that the winters in AZ are nice, but thought we'd better visit in the summer to see if we can take the heat. We'll be in S.V. and the surrounding area for a short vacation in about a week. I can't wait!!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:17 PM

106 posts, read 643,307 times
Thumbs up s.v.

Yes, thats the year I was born.4/22/1956 I'll be 51 in april.
We hope to be out there before winter.But we first have to wait untill the house is sold.I hope you have a wonderful time in s.v. 3 monthe of summer is better than 7 months of winter.
My aunt is moving out there in 10 days,her two daughters are there already.
Let me know how your trip goes.best of luck.E-mail me at
jcs1956@aol.com

Old 06-20-2007, 11:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdarm View Post
as with most places in az it can be a killer but it's nothing as bad as phx.
Um, Yuma is worse, as is Lake Havasu.

Just got back from AZ, complete Hell. Last time I EVER go in the summer. Nights were ok, but still warm. Daytime? Ugh. The most uncomfortable crap Ive ever experienced, Id even say more uncomfortable than Tampa Bay in July. No joke. Complete, utter, hysterical nonsense heat. Good thing I left, tomorrow is supposed to be 114-118 in parts of the Valley. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,835 times
Most of the construction contractors here start early in the morning when it's cooler and are off site by early afternoon. It is said that you need about a month to get acclimated to the elevation and weather.

Monsoon season typically starts here around the 4th of July and lasts until early September. The monsoon season has not been very good in quite some time. It pretty much starts to downpour when you get off work and are on your way to your car in the farthest place in the parking lot. It gets humid then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona