Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,812,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildoggieloverr View Post
I think that you people are a bunch of racists!! They are people like you and me, the only thing seperating us is SOME STUPID DOCUMENTS!!! are we gonna go back to the time where we didnt give any kind of rights to the black, but now its the immigrants... They take up most of the jobs we dont want ..for example cleaning houses,, who the **** would want to clena toilets?? exactly my point.. i hate what has become of this country.. its is not the fault that the government didnt do anythignt o give those poor people some papers.. and if they were give papers, they would also pay for the taxes BUT instead we decide that they dont deserve it??? The kids from illegal parents have absolutely no blame.. we are gonna take education away from those poor souls?? you people are racists and if it was happenging to you, i am sure you would ***** about it!

I take it you NEVER read the bill? Your post make absolutely no sense at all. But I'll try to help you out a little here...

"are we gonna go back to the time where we didnt give any kind of rights to the black, but now its the immigrants..."

You forgot 1 important word...ILLEGAL! No one wants to keep them from coming here,just do it legally.There are laws for a reason,otherwise there'd be no prisons.

"They take up most of the jobs we dont want ..for example cleaning houses,, who the **** would want to clena toilets?? exactly my point.."

BS! There are plenty of people that do those jobs now and if businesses have to raise their rates to hire LEGALS I have no problem paying extra for it because in the long run other costs will go down.

" i hate what has become of this country.."

Me too...Because people would rather boycott Az. for all the wrong reasons instead of standing up to an incompetent Govt. who'd rather throw the LEGAL people of America under the bus just to gain votes!

"The kids from illegal parents have absolutely no blame.. we are gonna take education away from those poor souls??"

You're right that the kids are not to blame but that still doesn't make it right.Illegal is still Illegal and why should I have to pay for their education with my hard earned LEGAL money!

"you people are racists and if it was happenging to you, i am sure you would ***** about it!

Again,read the bill! This has NOTHING to do with race,what part of this can't you comprehend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,937,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildoggieloverr View Post
I think that you people are a bunch of racists!! They are people like you and me, the only thing seperating us is SOME STUPID DOCUMENTS!!! are we gonna go back to the time where we didnt give any kind of rights to the black, but now its the immigrants... They take up most of the jobs we dont want ..for example cleaning houses,, who the **** would want to clena toilets?? exactly my point.. i hate what has become of this country.. its is not the fault that the government didnt do anythignt o give those poor people some papers.. and if they were give papers, they would also pay for the taxes BUT instead we decide that they dont deserve it??? The kids from illegal parents have absolutely no blame.. we are gonna take education away from those poor souls?? you people are racists and if it was happenging to you, i am sure you would ***** about it!

When I read posts like this I can't help but wonder... Have you ever tried entering another country illegally? Have you seen what they do to those that do? Have you seen what Mexico will do to you if you enter their country illegally? It's not pretty and it's no where near the tolerance the USA has shown.

And, FTR, it's "clean" toilets, not clena, and if you think you're too good to do the job of cleaning toilets, than that's exactly the job you should be doing. You're no better than anyone else on this Earth.

Also, the catch word "racist" has nothing to do with this law. Your argument looses all validity when you throw in little popular "trigger words", simply because they don't apply here. No one's asking anyone else to sit in the back of the bus... they're saying, if you want to ride the bus, PAY FOR IT. No more sneaking on the bus and getting a free ride.

Last edited by canibeyou; 06-01-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2010, 06:33 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergecas View Post
Thank you for your response and who and what online forums can attract...

You did say you have "not experienced racism in this state", does that mean you are non-white? I'm asking because I am as well and would like to know the day-to-day living that I would experience there. Here it is a non-issue - I never think about what part of town I might not be welcome in and should avoid. Here, there are some predominately African American neighborhoods as well as white ones... But there would be little issue with walking/living where you want. I guess my question stems from some southern African Americans I know... They seem to have a deeper acceptance of the "traditional" separations and exclusion of the Southern social dynamic and therefore don't seem to notice or care when the subtle (not overt) attitudes of racism pops up.

I just would like some frank views on what its like for a non-white and does 1070 amp up the negative with inter-race relations - not just Mexican Americans... ?

Thanks
Yes, I'm Asian Indian and have not experienced racism in Arizona. I grew up in Wisconsin and Texas and have lived in northern California. Arizona just feels like another state on the west coast. Day to day living is fine. My name is often not butchered when I leave my name at restaurants. I don't get asked a lot of dumb questions that I got asked in other states. No one asks why I don't speak with an Indian accent. No one asks me about my religion. People are worldly enough to distinguish me from Hispanics which was not the case in other areas I've lived. I've not had difficulty dating outside of my race, my fiance is Irish American. My family members are vegetarians and we never have a difficult time ordering food at restaurants and asking them to hold meat; people are actually really respectful of that here. People have been respectful of my status as a Hindu. There 7 or 8 Hindu temples here and there is little opposition to building temples from the people, I've talked to. Arizona is a conservative state but it has little in common with most conservative states in that it's not southern and doesn't have the history of racial divide and Christian fundamentalism.

Last edited by zox; 06-01-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Yes, I'm Asian Indian and have not experienced racism in Arizona. I grew up in Wisconsin and Texas and have lived in northern California. Arizona just feels like another state on the west coast. Day to day living is fine. My name is often not butchered when I leave my name at restaurants. I don't get asked a lot of dumb questions that I got asked in other states. No one asks why I don't speak with an Indian accent. No one asks me about my religion. People are worldly enough to distinguish me from Hispanics which was not the case in other areas I've lived. I've not had difficulty dating outside of my race, my fiance is Irish American. My family members are vegetarians and we never have a difficult time ordering food at restaurants and asking them to hold meat; people are actually really respectful of that here. People have been respectful of my status as a Hindu. There 7 or 8 Hindu temples here and there is little opposition to building temples from the people, I've talked to. Arizona is a conservative state but it has little in common with most conservative states in that it's not southern and doesn't have the history of racial divide and Christian fundamentalism.

Thank you for your response! It is very helpful to hear what the day-to-day is like for someone that is not "blending in". I am not of the mindset that "blending in" is the way to go, but its a good measure of what a town's "mindset" is... I have always lived in the Midwest but have traveled all over and overseas. So, I know the feel of being somewhere out of my comfort zone... Its the living and working in a new town, especially AZ post 1070, that is throwing me. By the way, we are thinking about Chandler, AZ... Thoughts?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

11 posts, read 25,011 times
I'm moving there in September and now more than ever I can't wait. I'm for the immigration bill so it doesn't effect my decision in the least. I'll be proud to leave the NYer tag behind and call myself an Arizonian

Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,227,866 times
My prediction is that there is going to be a lot of trading places. As the illegals and a few of their supporters leave Arizona for other states such as California and Texas, they will be replaced by those coming to Arizona because of 1070, not in spite of it. California is viewed as a lost cause as far as dealing with illegal immigration problems, and many Californians could be looking at Arizona in a new serious manner. All the uproar, protests, and boycott threats will not harm Arizona long term, the end result should be positive. Arizona loses tens of thousands of non citizens draining services and resources. In exchange, they get self supporting retirees, workers with in demand job skills, and businessmen opening new ventures. Sounds like a pretty good deal for Arizona, if you ask me.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 PM

276 posts, read 805,866 times
Az already has the 2 biggest Brain Magnets in the country.. I think this will only enforce that pull. I know I am ready to leave TX.. already have paper work in with the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
My prediction is that there is going to be a lot of trading places. As the illegals and a few of their supporters leave Arizona for other states such as California and Texas, they will be replaced by those coming to Arizona because of 1070, not in spite of it. California is viewed as a lost cause as far as dealing with illegal immigration problems, and many Californians could be looking at Arizona in a new serious manner. All the uproar, protests, and boycott threats will not harm Arizona long term, the end result should be positive. Arizona loses tens of thousands of non citizens draining services and resources. In exchange, they get self supporting retirees, workers with in demand job skills, and businessmen opening new ventures. Sounds like a pretty good deal for Arizona, if you ask me.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM

256 posts, read 664,970 times
To answer the initial question: Yes and No. I live in MN, and my entire family was ready to move to Prescott,Phoenix, and Tucson areas (no joke) after our rent agreements were up early next spring. I have family already in Arizona and have visited for long periods throughout my life. I am very much a Democrat, but on illegal immigration tend to be quite conservative. I understand Arizona wanting to do something about the issue-I really do. I just don't agree with certain aspects. Between the Bill, the law that teachers with accents can't teach English, and this whole mural thing going on Prescott, among other things, have us all thinking, to be honest. No one has made their decision yet, but it has definitely been postponed and doesn't look good. Besides, like I said, we're Democrats, and I'm beginning to think we wouldn't be too welcome, at least based on the Arizona boards, newspapers, general news, etc. It's a shame, because Arizona didn't used to be like that. I've always found it to be very friendly and hope it's still that way.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,915,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
To answer the initial question: Yes and No. I live in MN, and my entire family was ready to move to Prescott,Phoenix, and Tucson areas (no joke) after our rent agreements were up early next spring. I have family already in Arizona and have visited for long periods throughout my life. I am very much a Democrat, but on illegal immigration tend to be quite conservative. I understand Arizona wanting to do something about the issue-I really do. I just don't agree with certain aspects. Between the Bill, the law that teachers with accents can't teach English, and this whole mural thing going on Prescott, among other things, have us all thinking, to be honest. No one has made their decision yet, but it has definitely been postponed and doesn't look good. Besides, like I said, we're Democrats, and I'm beginning to think we wouldn't be too welcome, at least based on the Arizona boards, newspapers, general news, etc. It's a shame, because Arizona didn't used to be like that. I've always found it to be very friendly and hope it's still that way.
I admit that there have been a few things happen lately that might put AZ in a not so good light BUT for the most part the PEOPLE of AZ are still the same as we have always been. Every state has a few nuts running around and this latest flap about the mural in Prescott has horrified us. One or two bad nuts in a jar full of good ones doesn't make AZ a "bad place".

I can understand people wanting teachers to teach their kids without a foreign accent...unless they are teaching a foreign language. In 2nd grade I had a teacher with a VERY broad southern accent and I played hell trying to spell words correctly from her pronunciations so I understand.

I understand and support SB1070...I'm a Democrat and every other Dem I know supports the law. It's probably the only thing my conservative family and I have ever totally agreed on, actually.

I am only embarassed for my beloved state because of the fuss EVERYBODY ELSE is making over it. And it won't get any better for a while either because there are too many people who truly WANT to make us look bad. And fine folks like you and your family will be turned off because of it. That's sad. But, they DO want to make us suffer so maybe their ploys are paying off. I would hope not but everyone has to make up their own minds.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,478,481 times
California is taking some serious hits due to its anti-business policies, with some businesses relocating to Arizona (among other business-friendly states with a superior quality of life). Here's a list of some 120 businesses that have sent jobs out of California:

The Business Relocation Coach: Updated: California's Hostile Business Climate -- 114 'Moving-Out-of-State' Events (http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/2010/03/updated-californias-hostile-business.html - broken link)

I'd like to see Gov. Brewer and the state start an active campaign to lure Los Angeles and San Francisco businesses to the state of Arizona by touting our more friendly, less business-punitive policies. That would probably be a more effective form of retribution to California than counter-boycotts.

Last edited by Arizona Mike; 06-05-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona