Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,169 times

Advertisements

Hello my name is sal . I have been through out all Ak. My husband family owned poperty there for over 200 years. The people there are very proud of there land. The land in a lot of areas will not be soled ,but handed down in the family.We soled 17 ac. for pennies on the dollar to some proud people. IF this is your dream go for it . We live in the pasadena area of calif.We are a proud family of blacks. Have you found a new church ,home and home to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 PM

111 posts, read 504,304 times
Hi Roz,

Hope all goes well with your trip to Cherokee Village. We look forward to your impressions on your return. Keep us posted!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor912 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Looking forward to my trip. I will be getting in touch with Sam we'll go from there.

Regards,

Roz
Roz, I look forward to hearing from you - I am having that typical wild week at work, but I hope we can meet somewhere along the line - and things will work out, just you wait and see - you'll be amongst us before you know it!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:10 AM

140 posts, read 475,383 times
Default Great Natural State Vic

Hello and Welcome, first , my wife and I are Jewish, we moved to No Central Arkansas , about 4yrs ago, have lived in Mountain Home, very nice ,only 10k plus or minus population, a college , Bull Shoals Lake not far away, Norfolk, White and Buffalo rivers- the fishin is fantastic ! Especially compared to Calif.,Oh i am a Native Californian, well born there anyways in the 50s. We also lived in a little retirement of Duplexes in Lakeview,AR near the town of Bull Shoals. Now we live in Yellville, yes funny name. I know some African American Family grew up in Yellville, from reading abut the Schools there. We haven't had any problems, i have heard stories from the past , but I think history and many other people moving here from all over the US has changed many such problems with race or religious issues. I am sorry to say we put up our 5+acre Home forsale , because , we have family west, and my Wife has a dream to live in New MExcio , so we are Land of Enchantment bound. I will miss the friends we have made, that really helped us, like driving tractors over here when we needed help, lending us Pressure cookers, Roto tillers, just to name a few. I would Take a look at NWA as well , and take a peek at Eureka Springs, artsee, but expensive, smaller towns nearby- A lot of Retirees all over Arkansas, so take a good look, I love Fishing too, so move near some you will be happier- NWA has Beaver Lake, good Fishin.
Vic,(sorry if its Victoria), I would take a trip out here and see where all the services you need and want and the area you would like to live to see for yourself. We have Done research on New MExcio like crazy, and realize the same conclusion - to see it. You might like a small town that has gone up in price, thats ok, just move a little outside of town, thats what we did , we really are in the country, 15 -20mins from town, we like it that way so far, but remember Arkansas has a lot of rocks, which can eat up tires, so be prepared for Gravel roads if you are off the beat and path, or travel a bit. I dont know if you are prepared for Humid weather , but it is less than south of us, and the winters here are Mild compared to St Louis and KC, You will want refridgerated AIr conditioners if you are used to them, fans barely keep it comfy, we are just weak types , haha, one summer we lived without a WIdow unit and UGH zapped our energy. Be prepared to look for well insulated homes, with thermal pane windows , it all helps.
WIshing you all the Best WIshes, the Shapiros PS I seen you are coming here in late sept? Dont hesitate to write a direct message, would be honored if wanted to meet in town for a coffee, or even stay with us, we have an extra Bedroom for guests, we are off the beat and path, quiet, we would take you to the local fishing areas to see, take a look at the visitor center at Bull Shoals Lake , just completed , very nice. Keep in touch, safe Travel.

Last edited by Greenmon; 09-23-2007 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: additions , grammar

Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 AM

67 posts, read 228,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor912 View Post
I am considering buying a retirement property in Cherokee Village AR. Can anyone give me an idea of what I might run into in terms of race issues. I'm single over 60 with no children..

I have already read a lot of the threads regarding shopping, rural conditions, weather, Bible Belt, etc. etc. I am fine with all of that. I'm moving from CA and am looking forward to a much slower pace. And I am a Christian so I'm also fine with a Christian community. I want peace and quite and maybe a little fishing now and then..

BUT I don't want to have crosses burned on my lawn or anything. And I don't want to be afraid to go out of my house to shop or recreate.

I would appreciate candid comments. I've worked too hard to end up in a retirement location that causes me more stress than my job!

Thanks
A sixty year old black American should have adjusted to the ever-present ain't never going no where racism by now. Racism should be so far in the back of your mind that you should have to snap your finger to think whether or not it still exist. Since you are a Christian then you should be inudated with the knowledge that God created race not man and if anyone have a problem with your race then that person has a problem with God and not you.

Move where ever you can afford and not be intimidated by anyone and know that God has a hedge around you. The wooden burning cross does not have to be in your yard, it could be in your mind. If you are at dis-ease about a place because of racisim, then the cross is already burning. I wouldn't let ignorance determine my destiny nor enter into my decision.

I am black, female, 54, and live in south Georgia and will tell a white person where to get off just as quick as I will tell a black one. No race has determined my destiny or entered into any of my decison making. I have made all of my moves through prayer and guidance from God. It's call faith and personal responsibility.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM

58 posts, read 195,031 times
Greenmon: Thank you for your response. I am so looking forward to my trip to CV. When I get settled I will look you up!

Nadine: I think I have posted enough emails to make my position clear. Bottom line I am a realist. Anyone who lives in the United States who thinks they don't have to deal with Racism in one way or another is in denial.

I would be a fool not to ask for and listen to any words pro or con on this move from California to Arkansas. I am the outsider AND I want to understand my neighbors. I may not agree with all of them but I certainly owe them the consideration of learning as much as I can about the current culture in the part of the state and town I'm moving to.

Most imortantly I am a Christian. I know the Word. I belive the Bible instructs us to count the cost for any endeavor we undertake. That means don't jump out there without taking as much into consideration as you possibly can. There is a BIG difference between FAITH and FOOLISHNESS.

I have no intention of telling anyone, black or white where to get off. I would hope as a Christian, the Lord and the Holy Spirit will give me enough wisdom so that I will carry and conduct myself in such a way that any situation I might find myself in WILL NEVER get that far gone or out of hand.

SAM: I'm on my way!!! I am tooooo excited!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

58 posts, read 195,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbless View Post
Hello my name is sal . I have been through out all Ak. My husband family owned poperty there for over 200 years. The people there are very proud of there land. The land in a lot of areas will not be soled ,but handed down in the family.We soled 17 ac. for pennies on the dollar to some proud people. IF this is your dream go for it . We live in the pasadena area of calif.We are a proud family of blacks. Have you found a new church ,home and home to live?
Hi Songbless,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes, I have purchased a small modest home but have not found a Church home yet. However, several kind people have posted suggestions to me for churches in the CV area. I'm looking forward to doing some visiting and finding a congregation that fits .

Believe me. I understand about land ownership and family history. I think that is an area that many southerners understand far better than those of us brought up in other parts of the country. Land is important and should be cherished. It is a wonderful legacy to hand down generation to generation and has value no matter what the real estate market says. It provides roots and stability. And in this day and age, those are priceless commodities.

Thanks for taking time to post to me.
Best regards

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 AM

140 posts, read 475,383 times
Default Your Welcome and Congrats...

Victoria, Congrats,(Mazel TOv !), Good Luck, in your new home, and community, may you be Blessed in all your Travels and Days to come, may you meet nice warm people that appreciate your Beauty ,(inside and out) . Message us anytime , Best Wishes, AJ and Denise

Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM

111 posts, read 504,304 times
Roz,

Congrats and welcome! I pray that your search for a church home is blessed. Keep us posted.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,169 times
Hello my sister in christ ,how are you at this late october day? I see you are moving foward in your plans,and god will direct you all the way."Keep trusting,and keep praying.

GodBLESS SONGBLESS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas