Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM

58 posts, read 194,980 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a retirement property in Cherokee Village AR. Can anyone give me an idea of what I might run into in terms of race issues. I'm single over 60 with no children..

I have already read a lot of the threads regarding shopping, rural conditions, weather, Bible Belt, etc. etc. I am fine with all of that. I'm moving from CA and am looking forward to a much slower pace. And I am a Christian so I'm also fine with a Christian community. I want peace and quite and maybe a little fishing now and then..

BUT I don't want to have crosses burned on my lawn or anything. And I don't want to be afraid to go out of my house to shop or recreate.

I would appreciate candid comments. I've worked too hard to end up in a retirement location that causes me more stress than my job!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Please, ma'am....don't be afraid, that's all old-time gossip. We would be delighted to have you anywhere in Arkansas....I'm not black, but I'm a 50-year-old female - I've been here all my life - and I can't imagine any of the things people imagine about our state. There aren't hate crimes per se, there really aren't...it's not anything like people perceive it to be.

Have you made a trip to Cherokee to see for yourself? It's really a lovely community. Hot Springs is right there, and Little Rock is very diversified.

NMNita just made a trip to our state....why don't you contact her and see what she thinks? They were in Bella Vista and liked it but thought it a little expensive. There are lots of pretty areas that are coming up fast, lots of retirement pockets - I think you will be very happy. Lots of out-of-state people moving in, too!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Thank you! No, I haven't been there yet. I had been looking in NE OK. Sellers are having a Tax Lien issue so I'm not sure it will close now. But it was a rural lake area too. I'm still hopefull.....But I received some info on a lovely proprty in Cherokee. So I'm investigating.

I have never had a problem of that sort in my life really. I've found if you treat people with respect and are friendly, most people are very kind. Plus, I'm a military brat and grew up living and getting along with everyone. All the checking I have been able to find online for the area is soooo positive. It looks absolutely beautiful. As I said I want peace and quiet and rural is definitely what I'm looking for.

By the way for those reading my handle Victor912 refers to my street. I am a female :>) a very tired female looking for some rest.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Victor, I think a lot depends on where you settle. If I were you I would look in NW AR. My opinion of the eastern side, it may be more rural and a little less accepting of anything that might be a change in what they are used to. We loved the northern part of the state. Where do you live in Ca? After reading some of what we are all entering on these threads you might want to just google any town or community that sounds good to you and check it out on the web, then visit the area. Visiting and research will give you a good idea of what the areas are like.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Hi Nita,

I'm moving from Los Angeles proper. Lived here a good part of my life after my dad retired from the Air Force our family moved here. I am very very tired of the LA pace and all the stress associated with it. I am basically a ery basics kind of person. Thankful for what I have been blessed with and would be very comfortable on less of everything and more peace and quiet. knonwing my neighbors, looking out for them and them looking out for me. Knitting, fishing, sleeping. Need I go on..... :>)

I have been looking on the net for properties and demographics information etc. etc. However I find real everyday internet "friends" and "neighbors" are a better source for what is true and what isn't. Especially putting the stats in perspective.

I'm a realists. I know there are whack people everywhere. So I take everything with a grain of salt. But I also believe in getting as much first hand "been there" opinions as I can.

Roz

Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Roz, I don't know what bracket you are looking into when you buy, but Conway is pretty diverse and a lot of folks live on the lake...it's close to Little Rock - the Conway streets never were cut out for the traffic it holds, though. Also, are you looking for a retirement community or just a closely knit community? neighborhood or more rural?

There are still some nice homes on Lake Dardanelle in Pope and Logan counties, which is roughly Russellville, Dardanelle, London.

As far as absolutely beautiful, very Christian, and very closely-knit, I would say Mountain View? Lots of property backs up to the White River or is on bluffs overlooking it and you can still find some land deals out from town.

The northeast corner of the state is more rural delta - it's farmland - it's flat and it's hot. It's where my heart is, but my husband HATES it there, he needs hills and things. There's also Greers Ferry Lake and the Heber Springs area....huge, huge lake - lots of folks in the summer, no one in the winter.

Around Hot Springs there is Lake Catherine, Hamilton, and Ouachita.

Another area you might look into - maybe further south than you were thinking - is around Malvern or further south, toward Arkadelphia...DeGray is also a very, very beautiful lake and the area is growing very rapidly, although it seems to be (to me) more the baby boomer generation and up (my kind of folks!).

Old 06-21-2007, 04:46 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Roz, I don't know what bracket you are looking into when you buy, but Conway is pretty diverse and a lot of folks live on the lake...it's close to Little Rock - the Conway streets never were cut out for the traffic it holds, though. Also, are you looking for a retirement community or just a closely knit community? neighborhood or more rural?

There are still some nice homes on Lake Dardanelle in Pope and Logan counties, which is roughly Russellville, Dardanelle, London.

As far as absolutely beautiful, very Christian, and very closely-knit, I would say Mountain View? Lots of property backs up to the White River or is on bluffs overlooking it and you can still find some land deals out from town.

The northeast corner of the state is more rural delta - it's farmland - it's flat and it's hot. It's where my heart is, but my husband HATES it there, he needs hills and things. There's also Greers Ferry Lake and the Heber Springs area....huge, huge lake - lots of folks in the summer, no one in the winter.

Around Hot Springs there is Lake Catherine, Hamilton, and Ouachita.

Another area you might look into - maybe further south than you were thinking - is around Malvern or further south, toward Arkadelphia...DeGray is also a very, very beautiful lake and the area is growing very rapidly, although it seems to be (to me) more the baby boomer generation and up (my kind of folks!).
Yes I think Conway would be best. Or maybe Ok, City

Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor912 View Post
Hi Nita,

I'm moving from Los Angeles proper. Lived here a good part of my life after my dad retired from the Air Force our family moved here. I am very very tired of the LA pace and all the stress associated with it. I am basically a ery basics kind of person. Thankful for what I have been blessed with and would be very comfortable on less of everything and more peace and quiet. knonwing my neighbors, looking out for them and them looking out for me. Knitting, fishing, sleeping. Need I go on..... :>)

I have been looking on the net for properties and demographics information etc. etc. However I find real everyday internet "friends" and "neighbors" are a better source for what is true and what isn't. Especially putting the stats in perspective.

I'm a realists. I know there are whack people everywhere. So I take everything with a grain of salt. But I also believe in getting as much first hand "been there" opinions as I can.

Roz
Roz, I was born and raised in LA. First I came into the world at the Queen of the Angels hospital that I have heard no longer is there. I grew up in Eagle Rock and Pasadena, was married in So Pasadena. After we were married we lived in Gardena and Inglewood. We bought our first home in Covina, eventually moving to Altadena, then Arcadia and finally Glendora where my husband grew up. We left Ca in 1981 and don't even like to go back for a visit.

Don't worry about the nuts out there that can all our lives miserable. Bella Vista really is a great place or appears to be. It may be a little pricey for us, but you should, at least think about it. Fayetteville would be another place. If you decide to re-consider NE OK, have you thought about Grove? I don't know what price you are thinking about, but both areas start around $100,00 depending on what you want and go upward to a million. Hope this helps you a little

Nita

Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
.... There's also Greers Ferry Lake and the Heber Springs area....huge, huge lake - lots of folks in the summer, no one in the winter.

Got that part right.

Messes up the fishing.

Once the weather turns hot, that lake can get crowded on the weekends, not so bad on the weekdays and I never go there on a Saturday or Sunday, I'll leave it for the folks who are still working and who only have a limited opportunity to enjoy it.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:31 PM

111 posts, read 504,140 times
Default Welcome

Hi Perspective CV Resident,

I can't tell you a whole lot about Arkansas culture and CV in particular. I'm new to the scene. What I can say is that CV is a remarkable and wonderful place and quite a few folks from CA and elsewhere have settled there. There is quite a mix of States represented as one would expect of a retirement community. The folks that I have met have been super-nice and welcoming. As to the diversity question, I can only say two things. One, the CV folks are good people and the place is wonderful to newcomers. Two, I'd love to have you as a neighbor. Again, I'm new to the scene so keep posted for other replies. By all means, visit and take a look. There are great rentals by the lake to be your starting place for a visit. Please know, it's a real slow pace. That's one of CV's virtues! Good luck in your retirement search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas