Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:36 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
When I read the title to your thread "Welcome from California" my reaction was to DUCK from all the buck shot flying your way. Just don't tell anyone and you will be OK. Never Never say how great Cali is here. Don't try and change Ark, because Y'all are guest until you learn to say "Y'all" I just visited Fayetteville and Its Charming beyond all expecations. Very muggy however.
I was looking to move from Texas to Arkansas to get away from the flat, ugly and muggy, well flat and ugly are gone, but muggy continues to play a nasty part in my search for the promise land. Turns out, Im headed back to the Northwest. Ill miss Dickson Street.
Check out Bella Vista, I did, and I loved it too.
Sorry you're leaving, sberdrow...hope you find the promised land! I thought Dickson St. WAS the promised land! I sure do wish I'd bought one of those warehouses downtown when they were on the cheap....my fortune would have been made!

Blondee, check out the thread on Southern Slang, I think on the Alabama forum - you'll be ahead of the game on deciding when it's dinner and supper and get a few Southern-isms under your belt. Watching Steel Magnolias and Fried Green Tomatoes again might be helpful (and learning to COOK fried green tomatoes!).

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-23-2007 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Tomatoes looks disgusting spelled this way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 PM

154 posts, read 679,389 times
The weather in northern Benton county (Bentonville northward to Bella Vista to the Missouri state line) is somewhat worse than central Washington county (Fayetteville area) experiences. I was told one time by a weather buff that this is because of a mountain ridge in western Oklahoma that is high enough in elevation that it sends weather either to the north or south. I have no data to prove this but more times than not when a tornado watch or warning pops up on the TV screen it is for either Benton county or SW Missouri or the Ft. Smith area. Tornados are not common in NWA but Benton county gets belted by hail and freezing rain much more than its neighboring county to the south. Then again it’s even worse in SW Missouri, NW Oklahoma and around Ft. Smith.

Last edited by boulder; 07-23-2007 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,285 times
:My Husband loves to fish for bass

Well tell your husband to wait for me, and I'll have a backseat open on my Skeeter.... But I've got 7 more years in Cali first..

Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 25,019 times
I really appreciate all your comments on our upcomming move. Is there any way, any of you would be able to share anything regarding costs for utilities in the summer and in the winter? One of the reasons we are moving is because our Gas and Electric runs around $300. a month in the summer and our water/sewer is running $275 for every two months. Gas is around $3.00 a gallon and garbage service runs $26. a month. I think California pays the same for food as Arkansas. At least that's what I've been told. Housing is tons cheaper in Ar, thank God!!!! Thanks to all of your comments, we are getting more excited than ever to start our new beginning there.

Thanks, Bblondee

Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblondee View Post
I really appreciate all your comments on our upcomming move. Is there any way, any of you would be able to share anything regarding costs for utilities in the summer and in the winter? One of the reasons we are moving is because our Gas and Electric runs around $300. a month in the summer and our water/sewer is running $275 for every two months. Gas is around $3.00 a gallon and garbage service runs $26. a month. I think California pays the same for food as Arkansas. At least that's what I've been told. Housing is tons cheaper in Ar, thank God!!!! Thanks to all of your comments, we are getting more excited than ever to start our new beginning there.

Thanks, Bblondee
Blondee, of course it will be all over the board depending on size of house and usage...but our electric is supplied by Entergy. Some of the rural towns have co-ops or whatever...it's hard for me to make heads or tails out of their bills, but it is 0.01179 per kWh for power cost - then there's a franchise adjustment, state, county, city tax...we have electric air and gas heat and levelize both bills - I think the electric runs $156/mo. and the gas about $82. If you're out in the country, I guess you would be on a well or different water system and have propane, so I don't know about that.

Our water bill is $26-30 a month and we have a sprinkler system, sewer is included in that. Trash is privately contracted in Russellville...about $36/mo., but we are on light commercial status (I don't know how 2 people produce so much trash...I'm praying it is moving madness!) Not sure how much it is for one trash holder. Our real estate taxes run $56/year with the homestead exemption of $300....I think our personal property tax is about $100 or thereabouts, maybe $125 - that's with four cars....car licensing is $35/car. I pay all the car insurance premiums on 4 cars, two of which belong to my kids that I can't seem to wean from breastfeeding at 27 and 30 - it's $180/mo. or something like that -but they are both over 25, which helps (starving lawyer and starving lawyer-to-be). Gas was 2.72/gallon yesterday, but for some reason Russellville seems to run about 7-10 cents cheaper than surrounding towns and about 15-20 cents cheaper than Little Rock. Then again, as with everywhere, the gas price can fluctuate in a matter of hours. Last week it was $2.62.

We have a 2200 square foot historic home, c. 1872, new roof, new wiring, 3/4 acre land under privacy fence, garage/barn (needs to be re-worked) - central heat and air, sprinkler system....$135K. Very well insulated, but being historic, there are no energy efficient windows or anything. A 3800 square foot historic home around the corner from us sold for $159K. It needs a little work, but not more than probably $25-30K.

Home costs on new construction run from $80 for contractor's special to whatever your heart can dream of....$150/square foot would buy you a very nice house with upgraded features on a standard city lot.

Can't help you on groceries - I buy everything on special, so I don't know what's a good price and what's a bad price....

Does that help any?

Old 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM

58 posts, read 194,916 times
Hi Sam!

I am at work in tears laughing, and nearly fell off my desk chair with the wheels on it.....

Pleae rest assured AR doesn't have a corner on the market when it comes to post castrophe responses....Here in CA, we also have a few geniuses who make us proud after every major earthquake.... "we got scared so we ran outside... but the ground kept shaking and the power poles and starting falling down all around us..so we kept running" !@#$#@!

The shelter info was very helpful.... Sounds like it is something that is important, but could wait a bit for me to work on after I get settled...

Thanks much!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM

Sam, Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like Ar will be a much more affordable place for us to live.

bblondee

Old 07-24-2007, 04:53 PM

154 posts, read 679,389 times
Cost of living in Arkansas depends on where you live in the state - the NWA corner is more expensive than the rest of the Arkansas. In Fayetteville for a newer (3 year old), 2400 sq. ft. home, we pay a minimum of $300 a month for electricity, $100 a month for trash and water and $60 a month during the summer for natural gas. During the winter the gas bill will triple. Today in Fayetteville the cost of regular unleaded gasoline was $3.10 a gallon.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Oh my gosh, we are planning to move to Fayetteville. We are only looking for about an 1800 sq foot house but $300. month is what we pay for electricity here in CA!!! I am a little surprised but I'm sure it's still worth moving for us. At least the houses cost less. Thanks for the info though. Really appreciate it.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
.... (and learning to COOK fried green tomatoes!).
Personally, I like my green tomatos pickled....with hush puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas