Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I'd still rather live in the Ozarks than almost anywhere else. Just need to figure out how to keep the taxes from making it impossible to survive.

Or, find a Libertarian place with a nice, sustainable climate.
I thought you lived in New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Fortunately, we are not number 1. That goes to West Virginia. No Surprise there. 2nd and 3rd are Mississippi and Kentucky...again, no surprise.

Among the factors in computing Arkansas Misery were:

Median Income: $37,823 (3rd Lowest)
% Obese: 30.3% (Tied for 4th Highest)
Unemployment: 7.8% (19th Lowest)

Despite having a relatively healthy state economy with regards to employment, Arkansas has the third lowest average median income. The state’s residents, therefore, have many of the problems connected to poverty. Alabama has the fourth highest obesity rate in the country, 30.3%, along with Louisiana and South Carolina. It also has the sixth highest rate of diabetes, 13.3%, along with Ohio. Arkansas has the lowest rate of all states for people who exercise frequently, with 47%.: The Ten Most Miserable States - 24/7 Wall St. The Ten Most Miserable States - 24/7 Wall St.[/LEFT]
Good, maybe it will keep people away. I can't wait to get there myself.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I'm never miserable when I'm in Arkansas.

Of course, I don't live there.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM

90 posts, read 290,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Excellent post: you have pretty much nailed it. I would question the statement: the majority of the people in the state live below poverty level, I would think a huge number do, but with the population growth in NWA and the income level, I am surprised to hear you say "the majority" Otherwise you are right on.

NIta
I used "majority" for lack of an actual percentage, but yes, it is very high. I understand that NWA is seen as an economic exception, but that is only a small area of the whole state. In Arkansas we have lots of rural areas that are no where near comparable to NWA or Little Rock in anything, much less economy.

It's hard to see the big picture when we are cozyed up in our nice little thriving corners of the state, but there is so much work to be done here.

The sad truth is, that until we are able to see some real change in numbers, we will always be headlining on these silly things. Arkansas is an awesome state though, and we really shouldn't let these kinds of polls get us down, or make us any less proud to be an Arkansan!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTisha View Post
I used "majority" for lack of an actual percentage, but yes, it is very high. I understand that NWA is seen as an economic exception, but that is only a small area of the whole state. In Arkansas we have lots of rural areas that are no where near comparable to NWA or Little Rock in anything, much less economy.

It's hard to see the big picture when we are cozyed up in our nice little thriving corners of the state, but there is so much work to be done here.

The sad truth is, that until we are able to see some real change in numbers, we will always be headlining on these silly things. Arkansas is an awesome state though, and we really shouldn't let these kinds of polls get us down, or make us any less proud to be an Arkansan!
you are right, unfortunately there are sections or regions that almost appear to be beyond help. We drove through the so/west part of the state a few months ago: I almost thought I was in a 3rd world and the sad thing, so many of the area is just a mix of rural land and tiny towns with no jobs. I am the first one to say: these people could move closer to a city and get jobs, we know the unemployment rate isn't very high, and yet, in reality I know this isn't going to happen. These families have lived in the area for generations and have either no desire to more or absolutely no training to do anything other than maybe work of the land.

I still think we might see a change in these polls (as dumb as they are) as the NW region and Little Rock continue to grow. That still will not solve the problems that exist in our rural areas.

Nita

Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Fortunately, we are not number 1. That goes to West Virginia. No Surprise there. 2nd and 3rd are Mississippi and Kentucky...again, no surprise.

Among the factors in computing Arkansas Misery were:

Median Income: $37,823 (3rd Lowest)
% Obese: 30.3% (Tied for 4th Highest)
Unemployment: 7.8% (19th Lowest)

Despite having a relatively healthy state economy with regards to employment, Arkansas has the third lowest average median income. The state’s residents, therefore, have many of the problems connected to poverty. Alabama has the fourth highest obesity rate in the country, 30.3%, along with Louisiana and South Carolina. It also has the sixth highest rate of diabetes, 13.3%, along with Ohio. Arkansas has the lowest rate of all states for people who exercise frequently, with 47%.: The Ten Most Miserable States - 24/7 Wall St. The Ten Most Miserable States - 24/7 Wall St.[/left]
HotAir: I found the article I was referring to about Ca and I was wrong, It wasn't Ca it was a Forbes report on the top most miserable cities ranking (almost the same thing) 8 of the top 20 were in California. Some might surprise all of us, some would not.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
HotAir: I found the article I was referring to about Ca and I was wrong, It wasn't Ca it was a Forbes report on the top most miserable cities ranking (almost the same thing) 8 of the top 20 were in California. Some might surprise all of us, some would not.
It is o.k. we are all wrong at some point. I was not surprised at the list...places like bakersfield California. WHo in the world would want to live there. Of course all of these cities are larger than any of the cities that we have in Arkansas, with maybe the exception of Little Rock.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
I would tell people that living in the Ozarks, whether it is MO or AR, is not about money at all. There are many of us that do not equate money with happiness.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I would tell people that living in the Ozarks, whether it is MO or AR, is not about money at all. There are many of us that do not equate money with happiness.
Absolutely.

Money won't get rid of the smell of the city, get more deer to graze in your yard, allow you to hear nothing but birds around you while drinking your morning coffee, nor the owls and whipporwills at night.

It will, however, get you an internet connection to read people whining about the hillbillies and lack of civilization in this state.

Now *that's* entertainment!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Absolutely.

Money won't get rid of the smell of the city, get more deer to graze in your yard, allow you to hear nothing but birds around you while drinking your morning coffee, nor the owls and whipporwills at night.

It will, however, get you an internet connection to read people whining about the hillbillies and lack of civilization in this state.

Now *that's* entertainment!
You are so right about that!!! Good on ya! I really feel sorry for the urbanites that can only whine about people and places they know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas