Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:50 AM

811 posts, read 809,856 times

Advertisements

send it to me
I accept paypal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Arkansas should invest in that $94 million towards good paying jobs to the area and public education in my opinion, but expanding roads that are needed is a plus.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Arkansas should invest in that $94 million towards good paying jobs to the area and public education in my opinion, but expanding roads that are needed is a plus.
I wonder how many realize how little 94 mil really is. It would do almost nothing to help the highway situation. As for better paying jobs, to whom? are you taling the civil servants or private industry? If you are talking pirvate industry, no, our tax $$s should not go to pay better wages to people working in the private sector. That is not what tax money is for. As for public education, what are you referring to? Better paying teachers, better supplies, smaller classes, what?

Oh, I just noticed, you live in Texas and it doesn't appear you have much connection with AR.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
I was just saying there are many ways of using that money.. I was thinking more job creation like renewable energy,..and more educational jobs like Teachers, and new schools to help the economy and you are right $94 million isn't very much so we have to use what we have. Also your right I know little of Arkansas but have been thought here several times and enjoyed it.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 AM

41 posts, read 129,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you have a point, but depending on your age and finances what you are talking about can be misleading. We have lived in Texas, VA, Ca and NM before here. With the exception of Ca and VA we haven't found the overall taxes all that different and the state with the lower taxes tomorrow could be the state with the higher taxes 5 years down the road. Remember taxes can be hidden in many ways. There are property taxes, income and sales, user fees, etc. I would question that about his property taxes unless you are in an unbelievably high tax bracket. In Texas, we paid no income tax as you know, but our property taxes on a house that isn't worth what we have here and a zeno lot line, (10 years ago) was 2.5 times higher than we pay here. We looked at retirement in TN, it is a beautiful state and yes, no state income tax, but the property taxes where we were looking, like Texas off set the income tax. They were not as high as Texas but much higher than here.

Nita
About a year ago, I came across an article that stated Arkansas is #16 in taxes, whereas Tennessee is in the bottom 5. I wish I could find that now.

I am in a high tax bracket for the last 5 years. Last year I paid $12,000+ in Arkansas state income tax. Property tax in TN on a $250,000 house is nowhere close.
I've looked into registering a vehicle, about the same without the personal property tax. I will take a hit on the grocery tax but believe I will be coming out ahead.
I love the Russellville area, but comparing apples to apples, I believe I will come out ahead.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6genet View Post
About a year ago, I came across an article that stated Arkansas is #16 in taxes, whereas Tennessee is in the bottom 5. I wish I could find that now.

I am in a high tax bracket for the last 5 years. Last year I paid $12,000+ in Arkansas state income tax. Property tax in TN on a $250,000 house is nowhere close.
I've looked into registering a vehicle, about the same without the personal property tax. I will take a hit on the grocery tax but believe I will be coming out ahead.
I love the Russellville area, but comparing apples to apples, I believe I will come out ahead.
You do bring up a good point and yes, we do have high taxes, but there ae so many things that play into the tax issue. I guess most of us can't imagine being in a tax bracket where you would pay $12,000 in state income taxes. My husband as well as a good friend of ours have been doing tax returns for years. He said WOW...Even when you talk about renewing your vehicle without a personal property tax, we all know how little that is after the first year. You won't have the tax but you will have a registration fee. Remember taxes can be hidden. That being said, how taxes affects each of us depends on our situation. Overall the comparison is so slight, that a few extra $$s in taxes can be offset by savings elsewhere. In your case TN might be the place to live. i know someone else who choose to live in SW MO for the ssme reason, his tax base was so high we saved a bundle by deciding to move to MO, but he really wanted to settle in NWA.
Nita

Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,436 times
Use it to help bring in and create new jobs and work on the roads. I hope they do not use it for any kind of bonus or pay raise for anyone.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Use it to help bring in and create new jobs and work on the roads. I hope they do not use it for any kind of bonus or pay raise for anyone.
Do you realize, which has been mentioned here a few other times: 94 mil wouldn't even improve 2 miles of interstate or much of anything as far as roads go. We would all like to see jobs created, but luckily our state is in good condition compared to the rest of the country. Our unemployment rate has jumped some, still way below the national average. What do you mean, by create jobs? do you mean just put people to work on the government sector just to get them working? WHat happens when the money runs out unless these jobs are really needed? Why do you say no raises? Do you have any idea how many good employees are leaving jobs in the county, but Washington and Benton because they can make so much more in private industry? This is leaving some of our counties either understaffed or creating poor work enviornment.

Nita

Old 07-26-2011, 07:43 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,207 times
Keep it. We may well need it. The national economy isn't out of the woods yet. There's no sense in emulating california.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Keep it. We may well need it. The national economy isn't out of the woods yet. There's no sense in emulating california.
great post...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas