Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM

103 posts, read 269,790 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are from Louisiana I've been to Arkansas 3 or 4 times but its been a while my wife has never been. I keep telling her how much more beautiful and different it is then la but not sure she believes me. We are both in our 20s our kids are 5 and 2. My question is as far as scenery mountains woods waterfalls springs lakes etc. plus a few fun attractions what would be a better first trip for her hot springs area or Fayetteville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
There are strong supporters on here for both Hot Springs and the Ozarks, but my vote is for Hot Springs with road trips into the Ouachita Mountains. Most recreation sites will be closed this time of the year. Get on the Web and look for Arkansas Parks and Tourism Department and order their visitor package. It has lots of detail info and has the state divided into different regions. That will probably help.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Are you wanting to camp or do a cabin-type stay? Or hotel?

Another strong place I'd recommend is Devil's Den, and there's a lodge and cabins there. I don't know what time of the year you want to come, but another fun and beautiful trip would be to float the Buffalo at about Ponca - and there's a lodge and cabins there, but they are not state run. I can get the name if you want. Here's the link to the State Tourism lodging site:

Cabins

Hot Springs does have Magic Springs and Crystal Falls, which is a great outdoor activity for the kids, and there's also grown up concerts. Might be a nice way to spend a long weekend! Oauchita is great - if you want a place on the water with back yard swimming, Lake Hamilton always has nice places for rent, and there are places to rent a party barge or boat if you'd like. The food is great in HS too!

Magic Springs & Crystal Falls

Old 11-01-2012, 09:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Hot Springs would have more things for the kids to do and would be closer. It's a long drive to Fayetteville from LA with a five year old and a two year old!

But later, when they're able to hike, go on up to Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, and Mt. Magazine state parks (they're all pretty close together). More dramatic scenery than around Hot Springs (but it's still beautiful around HS, don't get me wrong).

And definitely take her up to the NW corner someday also....some very dramatic scenery up there! She'll believe you once to take her there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas