Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,877 times

Advertisements

The Majestic hotel has three phases the yellow built in 1886, The red brick built in 1925, and the Lanai Towers built in 1962. When I moved there in 2007 it had closed down the the previous year. The local radio AM station would talk about all the money being in place to remodel the buildings into condos, but it never happened. It now looks like it may be a casualty of the recession. It may have to come down. Sad as this is in a great spot of the historic district. If it has to come down it could be business with condos over top. The video embedded is a bit haunting.

The Majestic Hotel - Hot Springs, AR on Vimeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
What a gorgeous place. It would be heartbreaking if they decide to get rid of it.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM

45 posts, read 98,645 times
It would be nice to see if they would allow you/someone to retrieve much of the wood, doors, brick and items from it before its destruction and use the materials to help build a house.
In part, it could live on........

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wconell View Post
It would be nice to see if they would allow you/someone to retrieve much of the wood, doors, brick and items from it before its destruction and use the materials to help build a house.
In part, it could live on........
For free? I wouldn't count on it. If those materials are in good enough condition to use, then they are still quite valuable and no doubt will be refurbished for the renovation project. This is essential in order to recapture the character and feel of the original structure.

My wife and I stayed there once back in the '80s during horse racing season. And we dined at Grady's Grill maybe 10 years ago - our reservations were set up by the (then) general manager of the Majectic and Arlington Hotel (owned and operated by the same company). He was a German man who also owned a nearby bed and breakfast where we were staying. Hopefully the Arlington is still doing well, as we love to visit their bath house while in town, and we plan a trip soon.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM

HS is a neat place. I lived there for a few years and miss it. I was looking into a B&B there to buy and run. The only thing I did not like is that the down town is not being renovated. Many of the places over the store fronts are just going to pot. I hope once the economy turns well they put some money into that place. Its very unique.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
OUCH!!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I used to stay there during high school when I would go to Hot Springs for State competitions. Very sad if they get rid of it. Great memories.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Its just sad. When I lived there I used to drive past this every day and it will be a damn shame if it is dozed.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
As a historian, one of the most irritating things is to see this stuff happen. Hot Springs wants to hold on to its history but it doesn't want to put forth much effort to keep things like this. Its sad when the national government takes better care of the historic places here than the locals do.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM

651 posts, read 705,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
As a historian, one of the most irritating things is to see this stuff happen. Hot Springs wants to hold on to its history but it doesn't want to put forth much effort to keep things like this. Its sad when the national government takes better care of the historic places here than the locals do.
At least Bathhouse Row is being taken good care of. I was thinking of moving back there in the next couple of years, but I want to take a trip there to see if there is any building up of the down town. I lived there for a while several years ago and I miss it. I loved the drive to Little Rock and the Market there. It was a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas