Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a retirement location. I've noticed that some towns, like Harrison and Mena, crime seems to be on the increase. Is this real, or just statistical reporting changes? Is it drug related, so that addicts are looking for sources of cash to buy more drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Like everywhere else there is crime in Arkansas, but in the northwest part of the state it's not that bad. I would suggest you visit the local towns police or sheriff's office where you're thinking of moving to. They'll be straight with you and are generally approachable and helpful. Now there IS and has been for years a meth problem, but it won't directly affect you. Good luck to you!

Arkansas crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've been looking for a retirement location. I've noticed that some towns, like Harrison and Mena, crime seems to be on the increase. Is this real, or just statistical reporting changes? Is it drug related, so that addicts are looking for sources of cash to buy more drugs?
Lets face it, rural anywhere has crime just like urban anywhere does and statistically, smaller ares will often show an increase because of per capita.. Remember 2 robberies in a year in a town of 20,000 can look high compared to 100 robberies in a town much larger. Bella Vista and Bentonville are considered among the safest towns in the country but we do have break-ins, drunk driving arrests, and even murders. Normally they are family related or yes, drug related. By the way, I am sure you are researching a lot of areas, but don't overlook Mountain Home and NWA as well as a few other areas of our state..

Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM

I remember Fayetteville would have ONE murder a year. One year they had TWO murders. Headlines? Murder in college town doubles!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I love Arkansas, especially MT. Home, Mena, MT. Ida, Harrison, etc. I think the people I've met are wonderful. I just like to check everything before I make a move. I'm always aware that new moves bring surprises and I want to keep that to a minimum. Some rural areas of the country have quite a few problems in the rural area. Saw something on a western county in Kentucky, and they had a serious Meth, and prescription drug problem in the whole county. I'd like to avoid that.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I remember Fayetteville would have ONE murder a year. One year they had TWO murders. Headlines? Murder in college town doubles!
I know it isn't funny, but it does show how the media thinks and what they will do for a headline!!!! I bet a lot of papers were sold that day..That is about like one we had here: there were a couple of very old, abandoned houses about 3 miles from here (one has since burnt down) anyway, I don't remember the details, but our local paper had an article about wild teens on drugs and wild parties. It turned out about 6 kids had decided to use one of the houses for a party one night: end of story...

Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
Mena - I grew up there a very long time ago and still have family there. I don't know that there is a "big" problem with booze or drugs although there are users of both. When I lived there we had a joke going around that the bootleggers (this was before "dope") had to wear I.D. tags to keep from trying to sell to each other A few years ago I had an archeology contract with the Ouachita National Forest and lived in Mena. In the evenings when I was out and about I saw no problems. Out in the Forest though I did find evidence of mobile meth labs. We were told to stay away from them and call them in to the ONF Law Enforcement Officers.

I just remembered; I worked in the logs woods on the ONF north of Shady Lake back in the 1940s and occasionally someone with a rifle/shotgun (I never took time to decide which) would step from behind a tree and say "I don't think y'all orta work up this holler this week", so we would move on to another area and later go back and if not confronted, work that holler, and always find where a moonshine still had been operating, but recently moved.

Oh that brings back the memories

Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM

And then there's Booger County...but that's a whole different world! Well it was in the good ol days.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I love Arkansas, especially MT. Home, Mena, MT. Ida, Harrison, etc. I think the people I've met are wonderful. I just like to check everything before I make a move. I'm always aware that new moves bring surprises and I want to keep that to a minimum. Some rural areas of the country have quite a few problems in the rural area. Saw something on a western county in Kentucky, and they had a serious Meth, and prescription drug problem in the whole county. I'd like to avoid that.
I have been through hard times over the years and found that crime increases every time. It doesn't seem to be any particular state but there are safer places within any state. Lots of good advice given on this thread. IMHO

Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Believe it or not. Most of the problems are with prescription drugs and not meth. Here in For Smith, people go to Roland Oklahoma to get 300 pills at a time. Does not create that large of a victim crime unless you happen to be on the road with one of these people who are over medicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas