Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times

Advertisements

It has some great reviews and some not-so-great reviews on Trip Advisor (some are pretty old).

What do the locals know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I'm not a local, but I've visited a friend who lives in HSV many times, and stayed at the HSV Inn about 12 times. If you want a motel, this is your best bet in the area. The only other good option is to rent a small apartment in the Villages. You might find notices for such rentals in the paper. I've never done but I know people who have and think it's worth while.

The Inn is clean, quiet (usually), safe, and nicely located. Having said that, it's nothing special. It's mildly run down but the beds are comfortable. The owners are really nice people, and often are interested in chatting (but not always, depends on what's going on).

Pros:

--If you're visiting HSV the location right outside the front gate can't be beat. The Inn is also in a shopping plaza with a good Chinese restaurant, the local grocery store, a liquor store, a drug store, and various gift shops. Get the buffet at the restaurant.

--the owners of the hotel are very helpful and pleasant people. Recently they've become a little more fervent about conservative politics than they used to be, though. You can expect Fox News to be running 24/7 in the lobby, often with hotel guests watching and commenting favorably. I find this fun in a "local color" sort of way, but some people might be uncomfortable with that. It's part of being in central AR, though.

--The area attracts rock hunters, and apparently there is a problem with people washing gems in the rooms. The signs reminding visitors not to do this are quirky and kind of hilarious.

Cons:

--Breakfast is provided in the lobby, and it's usually pretty bad. Usually it's little cereal boxes, cheapo donettes, and yucky coffee. I'd skip it and get something breakfasty from the grocery store

--The bathrooms are clean and serviceable, but are also small and leave something to be desired.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 AM

340 posts, read 515,972 times
I agree with the previous poster about the inn. Check with the various rental outfits, there are plenty of houses and condos in the village that can be rented.

If you plan to stay in Hot Springs, the Candlewood Suites is the best value in my opinion. The Staybridge is the nicest I've stayed in.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Also, if you're visiting HSV be sure to check out The Shack in Jesseville. Surprisingly good food, and since it's a local institution it's a good way to get a feel for who lives in the area.

There aren't many good restaurants in HSV now that the DeSoto Club has closed (what a shame, I rather liked that place). Your best bet may be to grab a bite to eat at one of the golf course snack shops.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,364 times
The Shack - and be sure to get one of their big ice cream cones for the road When we are doing archeology work in the area, we always just happen to drive through Jesseville at noon time . Often it is crowded at lunch time but worth the effort.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
The Shack - and be sure to get one of their big ice cream cones for the road When we are doing archeology work in the area, we always just happen to drive through Jesseville at noon time . Often it is crowded at lunch time but worth the effort.
I thought that was you, Slim....now I know for sure! LOL

Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Well, I think I've decided, if we stay up near the Village, that we will try to get a condo. They're much nicer and cheaper than motel rooms, and it would also be a way to kill two birds with one stone....have a nice place to sleep and bathe AND check out the Village without the kids complaining. LOL

I'll check out the Candlewood and Staybridge anyway....and we'll keep The Shack in mind, too. Sounds like my kind of place...not too fancy! Are they open for supper also?

One more question for the HSV dwellers....how long does it actually take to drive into downtown Hot Springs? I've read conflicting reports on both the mileage and the time required to drive it.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 AM

288 posts, read 1,079,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
One more question for the HSV dwellers....how long does it actually take to drive into downtown Hot Springs? I've read conflicting reports on both the mileage and the time required to drive it.
20 to 25 minutes from Balboa Gate or West Gate to downtown

Old 12-15-2013, 02:03 PM

340 posts, read 515,972 times
I disagree about restaurants in and near the Village. There are quite a few that we like.

Inside the Village ... El Jimador is a fairly New Mexican place and very good. Debra's cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch but is very good. Diamond D's sports bar is good, and the Last Chance Cafe is very good.

Outside the Village West Cafe are the Home Plate Cafe, B&B Italian, El Parian, and Cajun Paradise are all good. The Chinese place is OK too.

I'm going to have to try The Shack, I've seen it but never stopped.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:02 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
I disagree about restaurants in and near the Village. There are quite a few that we like.

Inside the Village ... El Jimador is a fairly New Mexican place and very good. Debra's cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch but is very good. Diamond D's sports bar is good, and the Last Chance Cafe is very good.

Outside the Village West Cafe are the Home Plate Cafe, B&B Italian, El Parian, and Cajun Paradise are all good. The Chinese place is OK too.

I'm going to have to try The Shack, I've seen it but never stopped.
I live on the east side and don't go by the Shack much but when I do, I stop. Their catfish and burgers are great. Also you did not mention JK's at Isabella or Tanners at Granada. Both places are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas