Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 AM

15 posts, read 37,637 times

Advertisements

im intrigued by arkansas. currently living in texas. terrible air pollution and traffic. im a little worried by the crime im hearing about but hey no place is perfect lol. i am getting the feeling that arkansasans are friendly folk for the most part and march to their own drummer. is that a correct assessment and where would the most jobs be and would sherwood be a quick commute to ittle rock, peace john m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,315,500 times
Most of the jobs are going to be in the more urban areas. Central Arkansas and Northwest Arkansas are the population centers of the state and have good employment opportunities. There are jobs everywhere, of course, but with no idea what kind of job you are seeking, it's hard to tell you where you might have the best luck.

Sherwood adjoins North Little Rock. During non-rush times, it's a 15 minute drive from Sherwood to Downtown LR. During the rush hours, it can take considerably longer.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
People - As I just posted elsewhere, IMO Arkansans are kind of reserved and somewhat difficult to crack. Typically, I think we're very friendly and accomodating on a casual basis but you may have to make some effort to get past that if you want to make real friends. I'd definitely concur that we're fiercely independent and have a pretty good respect for other people and their life. Well, except for the really gung-ho bible thumpers who think they can legislate morality. However, I really do think these people are more just loud and not the typical Arkansan.

Sherwood commute - Depends on what you're used to commuting in I guess. Me personally, I'd call it very commutable but some people who aren't used to a lot of traffic might not think it's all that great. There's still some construction going on on 40 through NLR (been going on for oh what?? 10+years now?) so I'd imagine that can make some tie-ups. But...here's the real indicator of what traffic is like here: the morning and evening news don't need to bother with much in the way of a traffic report. They have a report but it usually takes about 10 seconds or so and they don't have to talk very fast to get through in the alloted time. No need for choppers or freeway cameras to show you how backed up it is!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:35 AM

Smile jobs

hey thanks friends. im just starting to feel like ark is the place for me, an old out of work hippie im afraid. i have done media jobs in the past and published my own newspaper and even did some radio and tv but im afraid im down to a sales job now somewhere. any leads? long as the job is interesting ...

Old 11-16-2007, 12:39 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Democrat Gazette in Little Rock is always hiring...so are some of the smaller town newspapers. I'm in Russellville and I think they keep a continual ad going in for the Courier.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Default crime

holy mackeral. paper says little rock #13 in all of america worst for crime. if its like dallas, the crime is usually concentrated in just a few areas. same in little rock?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM

Yes. For the most part, the violent crime is in a few select areas. It's the same old same old...drugs are usually at the bottom of it all, just like everywhere.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
I'm afraid I just have a very hard time believing that ranking...the stats may not lie but the people making them do. This specific report has been slammed by the FBI both this current year's version and past versions as being inadequate to describe the true nature, causes and distribution of crime.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM

So storm, are you saying up or down for the ranking? I'm saying Little Rock should be further down the list - I just can't believe out of all the cities I can think of off the top of my head that I would consider dangerous that LR would be #13.

I posted this a couple of months ago...I'll still stand behind it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/1441543-post14.html

Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,326 times
I *could* be mistaken (I have slept since then ;p ), but I think it was the American somethingernother of Criminology Association that criticized the reports, not the FBI. Whoever's done the latest reports simply used data from the FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas