Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,556 times

Advertisements

Thanks for starting this Thread Rock Climber. It has brought back many memories. Again, this doesn't meet the request for "accents", but I'm throwing it in anyway . I was born in 1930 and spent my pre-teen years with my grandparents on a farm in Pike County and was exposed to their "old way" of talking, though they weren't as "bad" as some of their neighbors.

Since this Thread started, I have taken note of my speech. I've realized I have two languages; one I use around family and close friends and the other I use around acquaints, strangers, and in public settings. Here are some words/phrases I use in the first situation. "Y'all", which is the word most often misused by people who are trying to "talk southern" and don't know what the they are saying. It is used simply to address two or more people. Nothing more, nothing less. "Yonder" as in "over yonder" vs. "over there". druther vs. rather - ain't vs. not (and some other words) - although they didn't use it, some of my grandparents older friends used thar vs. there. Of course there are many words from which we drop a letter; i.e. goin vs. going, doin vs. doing, etc.

Again, thanks Rock Climber. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes remembering that farm and can close my eyes and see the house we lived in and the hill on the dirt road on which I rode my tricycle until the tires wore off and I still rode it on the rims. In the past few years I have driven by there a few times just to look and remember. After Papa sold the farm, our house burned and was replaced by one built of plywood, and the huge barn was torn down, or rotted down. Oh well, life goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:51 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"Here are some words/phrases I use in the first situation. "Y'all", which is the word most often misused by people who are trying to "talk southern" and don't know what the they are saying. It is used simply to address two or more people. Nothing more, nothing less. "Yonder" as in "over yonder" vs. "over there". druther vs. rather - ain't vs. not (and some other words) - although they didn't use it, some of my grandparents older friends used thar vs. there. Of course there are many words from which we drop a letter; i.e. goin vs. going, doin vs. doing, etc."....

Don't forget "fixin' to" and tars...as in fixin' ta put some new tars on my truck....or plars...whut ya cut waar with...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Here are some words/phrases I use in the first situation. "Y'all", which is the word most often misused by people who are trying to "talk southern" and don't know what the they are saying. It is used simply to address two or more people. Nothing more, nothing less. "Yonder" as in "over yonder" vs. "over there". druther vs. rather - ain't vs. not (and some other words) - although they didn't use it, some of my grandparents older friends used thar vs. there. Of course there are many words from which we drop a letter; i.e. goin vs. going, doin vs. doing, etc."....

Don't forget "fixin' to" and tars...as in fixin' ta put some new tars on my truck....or plars...whut ya cut waar with...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-10-2015, 08:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Regards
Gemstone1
I was texting my husband the other day and used the word 'fixin' as I'm fixin to leave and the phone wouldn't recognize the word. It kept adding the g at the end. I thought that was hilarious. I have a smartphone that doesn't recognize southern slang....what's up with that?

Old 09-10-2015, 08:26 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Thanks for starting this Thread Rock Climber. It has brought back many memories. Again, this doesn't meet the request for "accents", but I'm throwing it in anyway . I was born in 1930 and spent my pre-teen years with my grandparents on a farm in Pike County and was exposed to their "old way" of talking, though they weren't as "bad" as some of their neighbors.

Since this Thread started, I have taken note of my speech. I've realized I have two languages; one I use around family and close friends and the other I use around acquaints, strangers, and in public settings. Here are some words/phrases I use in the first situation. "Y'all", which is the word most often misused by people who are trying to "talk southern" and don't know what the they are saying. It is used simply to address two or more people. Nothing more, nothing less. "Yonder" as in "over yonder" vs. "over there". druther vs. rather - ain't vs. not (and some other words) - although they didn't use it, some of my grandparents older friends used thar vs. there. Of course there are many words from which we drop a letter; i.e. goin vs. going, doin vs. doing, etc.

Again, thanks Rock Climber. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes remembering that farm and can close my eyes and see the house we lived in and the hill on the dirt road on which I rode my tricycle until the tires wore off and I still rode it on the rims. In the past few years I have driven by there a few times just to look and remember. After Papa sold the farm, our house burned and was replaced by one built of plywood, and the huge barn was torn down, or rotted down. Oh well, life goes on.

My grandparents were on a farm in SE Missouri and used the words mentioned above. I use some and I say ya'll a lot. This just brought back some memories of them. I miss them so much and I can hear their voices as I read this post.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I was texting my husband the other day and used the word 'fixin' as I'm fixin to leave and the phone wouldn't recognize the word. It kept adding the g at the end. I thought that was hilarious. I have a smartphone that doesn't recognize southern slang....what's up with that?
Probably a Yankee phone !

Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
When we first moved to Arkansas from Massachusetts I used "you guys" as the form of address to groups of two or more. I was quickly informed that "you-all" or "y'all" was much more civilized, as it was gender neutral and so didn't insult girls in the group.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When we first moved to Arkansas from Massachusetts I used "you guys" as the form of address to groups of two or more. I was quickly informed that "you-all" or "y'all" was much more civilized, as it was gender neutral and so didn't insult girls in the group.
"you guys" is also a St Louis MO term. "yous guys" is a Brooklyn NY term.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:15 PM

"Tolerable" (which means "fairly good") is a word my grandparents used all the time, but I had forgot about it until tonight when I saw it used in a Canadian archeology report. The Canadian underwater archeologist said; "---we could see tolerably well.---"

Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Here is another....puny. "as in I feel puny today". First time I heard that after arriving in Malvern from CA, my friends Dad said that. Now mind you, he was 6'6", a good 350 pounds....I'm thinkin', wait a minute, what did he just say ? When I asked for the meaning....he clarified, "he was feeling under the weather".

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas