Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 06:21 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times

Advertisements

We are moving from the deep south to Jasper Arkansas. The home we are moving to has propane wall heaters (3) and a fireplace. I am used to central heat that blows from the ceiling, which is know is expensive and inefficient. So I have some questions about using these sorts of wall heaters. Are they safe to leave on when you leave the house, say to go get groceries? What about if you leave for several days, what do you do so the inside of your house doesn't get too cold? Would you just let the house get cold, shut the water off at the well and drain the water lines?

I know we are not talking about Montana, lol, but it still gets far colder than what we are used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We are moving from the deep south to Jasper Arkansas. The home we are moving to has propane wall heaters (3) and a fireplace. I am used to central heat that blows from the ceiling, which is know is expensive and inefficient. So I have some questions about using these sorts of wall heaters. Are they safe to leave on when you leave the house, say to go get groceries? What about if you leave for several days, what do you do so the inside of your house doesn't get too cold? Would you just let the house get cold, shut the water off at the well and drain the water lines?

I know we are not talking about Montana, lol, but it still gets far colder than what we are used to.
I woud not think of draining the pipes and shutting water off or even turning all the heat off if I were leaving for a few hours or a day or so; If you are talking about leaving on vacation or something, that is a different story. I am sure the home you are moving into, regardless of wall heat or whatever has some type of controls. If this is the case, when you leave just set the heat at say Low or whatever.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I woud not think of draining the pipes and shutting water off or even turning all the heat off if I were leaving for a few hours or a day or so; If you are talking about leaving on vacation or something, that is a different story. I am sure the home you are moving into, regardless of wall heat or whatever has some type of controls. If this is the case, when you leave just set the heat at say Low or whatever.
No, would never do all that for just a few hours, when referring to draining lines I was referring to being gone on a vacation. Down here in the south, our pipes aren't wrapped for hard freezes, so if we were leaving for a vacation and cold weather was expected, we drain the lines to avoid cracked pipes. I wasn't sure if propane wall heaters are safe to leave on, even on low, for a few days. But you are saying they are?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I wasn't sure if propane wall heaters are safe to leave on, even on low, for a few days. But you are saying they are?
It's been done.

The thing about space heaters is that you are supposed to make sure there is plenty of ventilation....just a window left open a tiny bit will do. Now, this is what I've read about space heaters....we never did that when I was growing up, but our old houses were probably well ventilated anyway around all the doors and windows. I know the one I live in now is plenty ventilated without leaving a window cracked. But just a disclaimer, you know....

Your heaters may be vented to the outside, I dunno, but I doubt it.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Jasper can get pretty cold, and in recent years our cold spells seem to be more prolonged than they were a few years ago. Even so, I'd hesitate to leave a propane heater going in my absence for several days. Especially considering the cost of propane. Instead, I'd heat the house fairly warmly before turning everything off, open the cabinet doors under the sinks, wrap the pipes and go. I don't know anyone who drains their lines before leaving for vacation, unless their vacation is months long. During the daytime, even in winter, the temps are probably going to be above-freezing, and on average they'll be above-freezing at nighttime, too. Our average temps are pretty mild.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the info, there are many things that will be a learning curve and this is one of them.

We will be headed that way in a couple weeks.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:10 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times
Long-lasting deep freezers aren't common up here. We are in Fayetteville and have a crawl-space house. While there are freeze-warnings for pipes, they are usually covered on the weather/news in advance. We installed automatic closing crawl-space vents, which have a type of metal that sense the temp and opens and closes accordingly. We've had no issues.

Welcome to Arkansas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: