Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh my, I am so sorry you took it that way: I am a devout Christian and certainly didn't mean it that way. I should have found a better way to word my comment. What I meant was, was, be prepared for the possibility of more religion or more wearing it on your sleeve than in some locals. I didn't mean being a Christian or living in the Bible Belt region is bad. It is just something that does bother some people. Years ago, on this very forum this subject was discussed in relation to Ft Smith.
In that case, I apologize for misinterpreting you. I was just caught off guard by the "downside" description because in all the time I've been active in the AR forum that just didn't seem like something you'd say, even if you weren't a Christian......which, of course, I'm glad you are!

Anyway, back to Ft. Smith....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 AM

139 posts, read 137,054 times
Quote:
I think you can get some pretty good ones here in NWA as well.
Yes I realize what you can get in NWA I've been living in Fayetteville for almost 2 years. My therapist was just posting pictures on facebook from the Weezer show at the amp.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Can't comment about Fort Smith, but I'd say if this is your dream job, I wouldn't let the fact that the city doesn't 100% meet your requirements stop you. The odds of finding the dream job in the perfect city are slim. The experience you will gain at this job over the 2 years may be priceless.
this is so true: in a perfect world we could find the perfect job, city, mate, weather, etc. but we do not live in that perfect world. I would not let a city, minus a few things I might want stop me from at least interviewing for a job.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:57 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
If you don't like Fort Smith, just don't get yourself into a situation, like a home loan or expensive car loan, that prevents you from leaving when you would otherwise have the opportunity. If this is your dream job though, I wouldn't let the fact that the town might be less than optimal stop you. I would just make sure you don't get "stuck" so to speak should you decide you want to leave.

Fort Smith isn't the worst place in the world. If you prefer city life it isn't going to satisfy that need, but it does have its perks such as natural beauty and outdoor recreation. I would say its biggest drawback is the culture is extremely conservative and fundamentalist Christianity has a more prominent influence on the local culture and politics than even most places in the Bible Belt. An independent newspaper in Little Rock calls the town "Fort Baptist" which pretty accurately describes the culture. If that doesn't bother you, then it really isn't a bad place to live.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I lived in Ft. Smith for apx. four (4) years and HATED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, it was horrible. I loathed every single thing about it. Dirty neighborhoods. No zoning. Very high crime for a small city that size. Downtown was dead (I'm glad to hear it is improving) and the main drag in town (Rogers Ave.) is full of awful big box chain stores and chain restaurants. There actually are traffic jams on that road because of poor city planning. I worked with the public and, boy, some of those people lived up to all the stereotypes about Arkansas. The beautiful environmental surroundings were full of gross litter. And yes, it is VERY VERY southern baptist, with everything that means.

If you move there concentrate on your career and and look forward to moving on up and out in two years.

I was so glad to leave!

Old 07-19-2016, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
op, what have you decided to do? Are you going for your interview this week?

Let me add to the last 2 postings: everyone sees things in a different light and as I have said I have never lived there, but I will add: dirty? wow, don't have a clue how many years ago the poster lived there, we didn't see anything that was particularly dirty. Not much happening downtown: that is probably true but don't get the idea from the two posts, there is nothing to do for young people: it isn't a thriving metropolis for heavens sake. As for high crime, think about it: high crime and southern Baptist hardly go together, so one statement isn't accurate, for sure. Yes, you will feel the influence of religion. I would not be concerned about what a newspaper in Little Rock refers to a town or city. We all know most newspapers are liberal and the only true liberal place in AR happens to be Little Rock.

If you decide to interview and are offered the job, just try to find an apartment where other young people live. And don't worry about the Bible Belt reputation or the overly conservative reputation. If this isn't your thing, remember not everyone living in the city fits into that category.

Have fun and look forward to a new adventure.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I lived in Ft. Smith for apx. four (4) years and HATED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, it was horrible. I loathed every single thing about it. Dirty neighborhoods. No zoning. Very high crime for a small city that size. Downtown was dead (I'm glad to hear it is improving) and the main drag in town (Rogers Ave.) is full of awful big box chain stores and chain restaurants. There actually are traffic jams on that road because of poor city planning. I worked with the public and, boy, some of those people lived up to all the stereotypes about Arkansas. The beautiful environmental surroundings were full of gross litter. And yes, it is VERY VERY southern baptist, with everything that means.

If you move there concentrate on your career and and look forward to moving on up and out in two years.

I was so glad to leave!
I second the bolded part. The rest is just the nature of a somewhat stagnant, old manufacturing town which is what Fort Smith pretty much is. I currently live in OKC and don't really care for it (its a little too much like Ft Smith but without the natural beauty). I planned on only being here a few years but got myself deep into debt and am now stuck. Don't make that mistake unless you move to Ft Smith and fall in love with it.

I've lived in Fort Smith before. I spent six years there. The first two years I enjoyed it but after that I was ready to leave. I think it's a good place to raise a family as well as a good place to grow up. On the other hand, its not such a great place to be in your twenties or thirties and single, especially if you aren't heavily religious.

I think Fort Smith is a place that can be enjoyable for a short period of time if your career ambitions take you there, but I wouldn't want to live there any longer than I had to. Fayetteville isn't too far and the OP might find they spend a lot of weekends driving up there.

Last edited by bawac34618; 07-19-2016 at 02:51 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
high crime and southern Baptist hardly go together
Based on my experience living in Fort Smith, Arkansas and other lifetime experiences, I can say that I strongly, completely, 100% absolutely and definitively disagree with this statement.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:34 PM

Here is a good video showing off a lot of what Ft. Smith has to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daGb3btCyBY

Old 07-20-2016, 05:06 AM

139 posts, read 137,054 times
Video tells you nothing about what day to day life is like in Fort Smith. You might get some idea from reading the local paper, swtimes.com. I mostly quit reading it though because I think its politically biased and won't cover LGBT issues even when a local group is having events for pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas