Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,427 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the culture shock of moving from California to Hot Springs? Are the people friendly? What are the neighborhoods like and any suggestions about the city?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 04:23 PM

36 posts, read 39,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pssupmgr1 View Post
Can anyone tell me the culture shock of moving from California to Hot Springs? Are the people friendly? What are the neighborhoods like and any suggestions about the city?

Thank you.

Culture shock? Depends on the area (and people) in which you now live. H.S. is known as a tourist/retirement community but there is more than that. My sister lives there and I have worked there several times over the years and would not hesitate living there if circumstances required it. My contacts with all the people, individuals and business, have been pleasant experiences. Neighborhoods? I don't know enough about the whole town to comment on that but I suspect, as in any town, there are various quality neighborhoods. Give us more details of what you like/do and we can give you more detail info. Welcome to The Natural State.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:03 PM

506 posts, read 650,870 times
Hot Springs is not a retirement town. There are many school districts in HS: Fountain Lake (my favorite, a huge new building complex), Lakeside Schools and the HS School District. There is also the Jessieville School District outside the village. Hot Springs is, however, a tourist town. HS has quite a meth problem. I loved it but didn't go out at night. That is, we lived in Hot Springs Village just outside HS. It's gated, more or less, with low crime and gorgeous homes. There are lots of activities they have planned year around for the residents of "the village". A dentist I went to was from Arkansas and he said, Ï don't consider the village to be Arkansas" so he didn't sound very proud of his state. But with all the natural beauty I'd be proud to be from Arkansas. We lived there nine happy years. I miss it.
I suggest you look around HS Village. There are homes in every price range and the people are super friendly; they love it there! They have a huge duplicate bridge club and nine golf courses. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll be back tomorrow. Suzy

Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Would it be a cultural shock? It depends on where you live in California and why you are considering moving to Hot Springs?

The city or town actually is what I would call it is primarily conservative, yes, friendly and somewhat of a tourist town. The surrounding area is beautiful with 4 wonderful seasons. The weather is comfortable most of the time, with summers bein a little on the cool side and yes, some winter snow.

You will not see as much diversity among people as in CA and many who live in Hot Springs have lived there for years, but they are very welcoming to new arrivals.

If you are young and looking for adventure and excitement, I think there are other places that would be more to your liking; if you are older, have a family and want to live the way you picture America as, you would love it. I am originally from California, love living in AR and always think of it as "Norman Rockwell" country. Of course I do not live in Hot Springs, but have visited a few times.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:15 AM

41 posts, read 42,857 times
My wife and I are also considering Hot Springs. We even went so far as to buy 4 acres near the Village. We are not sure if we would build or sell our land and buy in the Village. We love the area and its weather is moderate not like up at the MO boarder where they get a bit of snow and ice. There seems like there is always something to do in HS and things going on in little rock. Demographics are good in and around the village also. Crime is low and views are great.

We currently live in SW Florida. Its OK but its not great. Too many people chasing too few goods. Rest. are packed in winter and parking and traffic is horrible. Even in summer you could 5 years ago lay down on 41 now summer is medium traffic. Winter will be pure heck. You get sick of people from Boston and NY and NJ who all come down and talk about where its great. LOL then go back right? Prices are climbing up and building has taken off again. When I came back to Fla in 2010 after living here for most of the 80s and part of the 90s it looked like the apocalypse had struck. Crane's frozen in place projects half done with grass growing up around them. Now every commercial lot it seems is being developed and housing is being built again. Florida has always been to me plastic banana phony baloney good time rock and roll place. Where it seems every bum in the world comes due to the warm winters and tourists are a plenty. Its a big swamp that has OK winters.

Last edited by solitariuslupus; 08-19-2016 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitariuslupus View Post
My wife and I are also considering Hot Springs. We even went so far as to buy 4 acres near the Village. We are not sure if we would build or sell our land and buy in the Village.
There were some people here a while back complaining about buying land outside the Village....let me see if I can find it.

Well, I can't find it. They were complaining about the neighbors being a pain, something about one of them saying he could hunt on his land if he wanted to (seems like it was not big parcels of land) and possibly another neighbor junking things up...anyway, stories like that is why I would live in the Village if I could.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM

41 posts, read 42,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
There were some people here a while back complaining about buying land outside the Village....let me see if I can find it.

Well, I can't find it. They were complaining about the neighbors being a pain, something about one of them saying he could hunt on his land if he wanted to (seems like it was not big parcels of land) and possibly another neighbor junking things up...anyway, stories like that is why I would live in the Village if I could.
I love the village. The village is like an annuity, people who get up set with it never under stood it. I know what it is. Don't move to the village and think this is my land and I will do what I want. Its not like that. Its what keeps it homogeneous. If someone wants to build a chicken coup this is not the place. We are not sure what we are going to do. We have an investment property we are going to sell next year. That money will either build a new home or buy an existing one. If we buy existing we are thinking of the Village. If we build it will be on our 4 acres. If we buy a home in the village we will try to see if the sellers would take our land as part of the sale. We paid 19k for 4.5 acres plus or minus. It has a view to die for. Lots to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas