Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:07 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

I will stick by my statements that I think in any town larger than 3000 in Arkansas, you will find them more accepting than what you describe in post #15, I think you will find that the crime is less, and it will be much easier to avoid flood zones.

Since you brought up natural disaster hazards:
There are some tornadoes from year to year, but I don't think they are much more common than in Louisiana. The SW and NE parts of the state have could have some earthquake problems.
But nowhere is immune to everything.

Wildfire is one thing that I have become concerned about, since I started looking at real estate in AR. I was surprised by some of the places where it didn't look like they had done any mitigation of that threat, and I ruled out a couple of places because they seemed to be a wildfire waiting to happen. That is a threat that can be avoided if you just look at the area for a couple miles around any place you are considering (Google satellite photoes are a wonderful thing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 AM

14 posts, read 12,398 times
In response to the post that said we where so heavy into our sexual orientation. And the post that said what does gay have to do with it. We took our young grandkids to a fast food restaurant one day and when we got there the people at the restaurant was having a protest against LGBT people. Of course we could not stay and had to try to explain to the kids why we were going somewhere else to eat and why it was not safe for them to play in the play area or for us to be there.

Unless you are gay some people still don't realize that things like this still go on especially in some of the southern areas. It is not so much about our sexual orientation as it is about us relocating to a safe and friendly area to live. We are not that heavy into our sexual orientation, but it is no different asking about that as it is to ask is an area accepting of cajuns, mexicans, bi racial couples or foreigners wouldn't it be great if things like that didn't matter. Have a great day

Last edited by southerngirl12; 10-18-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 AM

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice. It is greatly appreciated

Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 AM

827 posts, read 660,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl12 View Post
Thank you everyone for all the help and advice. It is greatly appreciated
Thank you for being you, Hope to see you two in Cherokee Village some day.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
In response to the post that said we where so heavy into our sexual orientation. And the post that said what does gay have to do with it. We took our young grandkids to a fast food restaurant one day and when we got there the people at the restaurant was having a protest against LGBT people. Of course we could not stay and had to try to explain to the kids why we were going somewhere else to eat and why it was not safe for them to play in the play area or for us to be there.

Unless you are gay some people still don't realize that things like this still go on especially in some of the southern areas. It is not so much about our sexual orientation as it is about us relocating to a safe and friendly area to live. We are not that heavy into our sexual orientation, but it is no different asking about that as it is to ask is an area accepting of cajuns, mexicans, bi racial couples or foreigners wouldn't it be great if things like that didn't matter. Have a great day
What sort of restaurant would allow a protest against anything - are you talking about people on the street outside the restaurant? If this kind of bs was going on inside I'd take one look around and leave immediately, and I'm straight. Why would you be in danger, were you planning on making out with your partner during lunch and exposing your sexual orientation?
Speaking of which, please don't compare your minority status to people who belong to a minority that isn't hidden. Nobody knows you are gay unless you tell them or show it with your partner in public.
There are all kinds of idiots wherever you go - it seems like you are focused way to much on something that 99% of people just don't care about.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

I don't know where you went that had a protest going on but it certainly wasn't NWA unless it was some small town that none of us know much about. Whether some want to admit it or not, there are and always will be bigoted people in every single state and city. Yes the deep south is worse but certainly AR, especially NWA isn't going to be any worse as LA. Like anything or anyplace, it is how people handle their situation. This It doesn't seem to me you are the type that will flaunt your sexual orientation and can be happy anyhere as long as people are friendly and they are here.

For those who mention wildfires here and natural disasters, of course they can be some, but overall it is a pretty mild place for tornado's, the threat of wildfires or true flooding.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I do know a lot about both those states and given that the OP was heavy into her sexual orientation I thought, and think, she should consider the beautiful Asheville area which is very friendly to all lifestyles. I have family members who are gay/lesbian and concur with my statement.

I trust this helps your curiosity. I think it is always appropriate to throw out alternative scenarios. Now, had I tried to change the subject then that is another matter.
We have a foster daughter who is married to her best friend. They got married about 2 years ago after being a couple for 20 plus years. I can say, even though they do not live here, they love to visit because everyone is friendly and no one seems to care what their sexual orientation is. That is enough for me to feel AR is accepting.

It isn't so much your statement but it makes you sound like NC is better for gays than other places. I am simply wondering why you feel that way? The OP didn't ask us about other places. Heck I could ad, from what I hear from my foster daughter maybe Ft Lauderdale or Portland would be better, but that isn't what the OP asked abot.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
At this point, I do think he was just trying to be
helpful, but he should have explained himself
much more thoroughly in his first post.

Asheville isn't really very far from Tennessee,
so apparently he thought they might be flexible
enough on their destinations to check it out.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
What sort of restaurant would allow a protest against anything - are you talking about people on the street outside the restaurant? If this kind of bs was going on inside I'd take one look around and leave immediately, and I'm straight. Why would you be in danger, were you planning on making out with your partner during lunch and exposing your sexual orientation?
Speaking of which, please don't compare your minority status to people who belong to a minority that isn't hidden. Nobody knows you are gay unless you tell them or show it with your partner in public.
There are all kinds of idiots wherever you go - it seems like you are focused way to much on something that 99% of people just don't care about.
You are looking at this all wrong. We are not in a minority status that is hidden or wants to hide from anyone. I am in a minority status where a majority of people that still think like you and believe that we should hide our love for each other from the public and if we don't that we are sick, disgusting and perverted. So I guess my spouse and I have nothing to ever worry about since we don't make out on the restaurant tables are grope and kiss each other in public. We are not asking other straight married couples or people to hide their love and affection for each other in public. I do not believe that we have that right. But in return straight couples also do not have the right to tell gay (Lgbt) couples that they are not allowed to show love and affection in public. How would straight people like it if Lgbt people told them to stop holding hands with someone that they loved or to stop smiling lovingly at their husband or wife. So why do some people keep trying to stuff us back in the closet. And if it is truly like you say that 99%of people just truly don't care about sexual orientation or if people are LGBT or not then why are we still talking about my sexual orientation. That 1% must be really really big. Also why is it that the people that always speak up first and and try to say that they have no problem or hang up about Lgbt people are the very ones that really have a problem or hang up about them. But also keep tell us to hide it. We are not ashamed or hung up over our sexual orientation. So can we please get to the topic at hand. Which is, a safe and friendly place to live that has a low crime rate and low cost of living. Thank you and have a good day

Old 10-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Thank you for being you, Hope to see you two in Cherokee Village some day.
Thank you Mike town, for saying what you did. We don't know how or have any desire to be anything other than ourselves. People will like us or they won't. If and when we decide to move up there we will send you a post. We may try to check out Cherokee village when we came up there in a few weeks to see whats there. Have a great day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas