Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:16 AM

37 posts, read 44,910 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband, 4 children and I are relocating next year but more exciting is we are leaving for a road trip in a couple weeks. Leaving the Texas coast December 13th for 14 days heading up through Arkansas, Missouri then deciding where to after that.

The purpose of this trip is to see what we like in other states as well as let the kids see snow when we get further north in the U.S.

My question is; to see the beauty of Arkansas, fun things for us as a family to do, and maybe hang out with some locals not just do touristy stuff. What would be a good route to travel through the state? Or some must stops? One area that is a must see for me are the Ozarks.

Thank you, all advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Plan to visit Garvan Gardens to see the Christmas displays.

Admission and Hours - Garvan Woodland Gardenss

Then from the Hot Springs area, head over to Little Rock. There are museums, and trails along the river. N Little Rock has the mill that appears in the opening scenes of Gone With the Wind.

Since you love the Ozarks, you have to visit Eureka Springs. The scenery is spectacular, and while many love to visit to see the fall colors, in December when the leaves are gone, the views are amazing.

For the kids, the Amazeum in Bentonville would be a great way to spend an afternoon.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Plan to visit Garvan Gardens to see the Christmas displays.

Admission and Hours - Garvan Woodland Gardenss

Then from the Hot Springs area, head over to Little Rock. There are museums, and trails along the river. N Little Rock has the mill that appears in the opening scenes of Gone With the Wind.

Since you love the Ozarks, you have to visit Eureka Springs. The scenery is spectacular, and while many love to visit to see the fall colors, in December when the leaves are gone, the views are amazing.

For the kids, the Amazeum in Bentonville would be a great way to spend an afternoon.
I love the IDEA of the beauty of the Ozarks, I've never been there but am assuming it is as awesome as what I've seen in pictures and videos. I will for sure look into all those place you suggested. Thank you so much.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
I love the IDEA of the beauty of the Ozarks, I've never been there but am assuming it is as awesome as what I've seen in pictures and videos. I will for sure look into all those place you suggested. Thank you so much.
If you want to see the ozarks, make sure to travel up Scenic 7 through Jasper. This is where there are lots of pullover spots for the Arkansas grand canyon. From there you can take Hwy 74W to Ponca and go see the bluffs of the Buffalo river at Steel Creek. Stop in Ponca and/or Boxley valley and see the elk herds that are usually near the highway at all times of the day in winter. From there, you can head to Eureka Springs.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:14 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Hi again, OP (love your screen name, btw, one of my favorite verses). I replied to your post in the Missouri forum.

If you've never experienced the mountainous parts of Arkansas, you are in for a special treat. The Ouachita Mountains lie south of the Arkansas River, and the Ozarks to the north. Both ranges are just amazing, not because of their height (the tallest mtn. in AR is Mt. Magazine at around 2700 ft.), but because of the wonderfully beautiful landscapes they create......and the best part about traversing them is they are equally breathtaking no matter the season. You'll be passing through when the leaves are down and the mountains true shapes and features (rocks, cliffs, etc.) are more visible. It's a great time to go, because traffic is lighter and the roads are still usually in good shape.....although definitely check the forecast beforehand, as many of the mountain roads in AR do not have guardrails and you do NOT want to get caught on those in any kind of accumulating snow or ice situation, especially if you don't have winter driving experience. Obviously snow and ice are more common in the Ozarks given they're further north, but the Ouachita's can get both as well.......and I'm not trying to make it seem like Arkansas gets winter precip on the level of, say, Colorado for instance, but it can happen a few times a year, so just use common sense in knowing what's coming and stay safe.

As for where to go and what to see, I'll quickly recommend 3 spots on either side of the river (I'd go into more detail, but work beckons). In the Ouachita's, the Mena area (featuring the Talimena Scenic Byway - fantastic drive), Petit Jean State Park (incredible views of the Arkansas River valley) and Hot Springs are my 3 favorites. Hot Springs in particular is a must. It kinda serves as the "capital" or "base" of the Ouachita's, if that makes any sense, and it is a great spot for a variety of reasons, although it is a tourist spot. In the Ozarks, the Buffalo National River featuring the "Arkansas Grand Canyon" (there's also a great spot called Mystic Caverns between Jasper and Harrison that my kids enjoyed thoroughly), the entire I-49 corridor between Fayetteville and Bella Vista, just because that's the main commercial/industrial/residential stretch in the Ozarks and if you're thinking about relocating you definitely want to know what's there, and then of course Eureka Springs, which is the eclectic/historic and stunningly beautiful tourist capital of the Arkansas Ozarks (I know you said not just touristy, but these places are popular for a reason, believe me ).

Aw poo, I gotta run. I can chime in on some of my actual favorite Arkansas routes later if you like .

Old 11-29-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
If you want to see the ozarks, make sure to travel up Scenic 7 through Jasper. This is where there are lots of pullover spots for the Arkansas grand canyon. From there you can take Hwy 74W to Ponca and go see the bluffs of the Buffalo river at Steel Creek. Stop in Ponca and/or Boxley valley and see the elk herds that are usually near the highway at all times of the day in winter. From there, you can head to Eureka Springs.
Are there fun things for children to do along that route? Our kids are aged 4 to 15 and are interested in History and nature. We homeschool and right now and I am teaching the true story of America's beginning to them and the Native American.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
Are there fun things for children to do along that route? Our kids are aged 4 to 15 and are interested in History and nature. We homeschool and right now and I am teaching the true story of America's beginning to them and the Native American.
There are hiking trails and Mystic Caverns. The hiking trails can be tough in some areas, could be tough for the 4 year old. This is as much nature as you can find, but with that, it doesn't necessarily attract small children.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hi again, OP (love your screen name, btw, one of my favorite verses). I replied to your post in the Missouri forum.

If you've never experienced the mountainous parts of Arkansas, you are in for a special treat. The Ouachita Mountains lie south of the Arkansas River, and the Ozarks to the north. Both ranges are just amazing, not because of their height (the tallest mtn. in AR is Mt. Magazine at around 2700 ft.), but because of the wonderfully beautiful landscapes they create......and the best part about traversing them is they are equally breathtaking no matter the season. You'll be passing through when the leaves are down and the mountains true shapes and features (rocks, cliffs, etc.) are more visible. It's a great time to go, because traffic is lighter and the roads are still usually in good shape.....although definitely check the forecast beforehand, as many of the mountain roads in AR do not have guardrails and you do NOT want to get caught on those in any kind of accumulating snow or ice situation, especially if you don't have winter driving experience. Obviously snow and ice are more common in the Ozarks given they're further north, but the Ouachita's can get both as well.......and I'm not trying to make it seem like Arkansas gets winter precip on the level of, say, Colorado for instance, but it can happen a few times a year, so just use common sense in knowing what's coming and stay safe.

As for where to go and what to see, I'll quickly recommend 3 spots on either side of the river (I'd go into more detail, but work beckons). In the Ouachita's, the Mena area (featuring the Talimena Scenic Byway - fantastic drive), Petit Jean State Park (incredible views of the Arkansas River valley) and Hot Springs are my 3 favorites. Hot Springs in particular is a must. It kinda serves as the "capital" or "base" of the Ouachita's, if that makes any sense, and it is a great spot for a variety of reasons, although it is a tourist spot. In the Ozarks, the Buffalo National River featuring the "Arkansas Grand Canyon" (there's also a great spot called Mystic Caverns between Jasper and Harrison that my kids enjoyed thoroughly), the entire I-49 corridor between Fayetteville and Bella Vista, just because that's the main commercial/industrial/residential stretch in the Ozarks and if you're thinking about relocating you definitely want to know what's there, and then of course Eureka Springs, which is the eclectic/historic and stunningly beautiful tourist capital of the Arkansas Ozarks (I know you said not just touristy, but these places are popular for a reason, believe me ).

Aw poo, I gotta run. I can chime in on some of my actual favorite Arkansas routes later if you like .
Thank you. Yes I remember your name from the Missouri forum. It's one of my fav scriptures as well but my most favorite one is Matthew 6:26 it is so comforting.

For the advice on the roads up the mountain, my husband has experience driving in that terrain I do not but since we are taking my van and not his 4x4 truck will for sure exercise caution and check weather forecasts.

I will for sure take your info on those places to check out.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:13 PM

340 posts, read 516,371 times
Draw a line along I-30 from Texarkana to Little Rock, then go north to the state line. Stay west of the line you’ve drawn. I’m biased towards the stuff in the Ouachita Mountains and Hot Springs area, since that’s where I live.

South of I-40

Thinking about the kids...

Murfreesboro
- Crater of Diamonds state park

Hot Springs
- Mid America Science Museum
- lots of history in the National Park downtown
- Mountain Tower
- Garvan Gardens (Christmas light display)

North of Hot Springs along Hwy 7, Coleman Gem mining and zip lines

Choose one of these state parks, Queen Wilhelmina, Petit Jean Mountain, Mount Magazine. All three have a lodge and a nice restaurant. And spectacular views. You can take a short hike to a waterfall at a petit Jean Mountain.

For mom and dad, Arkansas wine country, several wineries near Altus.

North of I-40

Blanchard Caverns and the Ozark folk center, near Mt View.

Eureka Springs

Crystal Bridges museum

War Eagle Mill

Mammoth Springs

Old 11-30-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Draw a line along I-30 from Texarkana to Little Rock, then go north to the state line. Stay west of the line you’ve drawn. I’m biased towards the stuff in the Ouachita Mountains and Hot Springs area, since that’s where I live.

South of I-40

Thinking about the kids...

Murfreesboro
- Crater of Diamonds state park

Hot Springs
- Mid America Science Museum
- lots of history in the National Park downtown
- Mountain Tower
- Garvan Gardens (Christmas light display)

North of Hot Springs along Hwy 7, Coleman Gem mining and zip lines

Choose one of these state parks, Queen Wilhelmina, Petit Jean Mountain, Mount Magazine. All three have a lodge and a nice restaurant. And spectacular views. You can take a short hike to a waterfall at a petit Jean Mountain.

For mom and dad, Arkansas wine country, several wineries near Altus.

North of I-40

Blanchard Caverns and the Ozark folk center, near Mt View.

Eureka Springs

Crystal Bridges museum

War Eagle Mill

Mammoth Springs
Oh thank you so much! What great suggestions! Are the wineries there typically real fancy or the kid friendly kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas