Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a lot of internet content that suggests Arkansas is like Georgia and NC use to be. I'm thinking of buying property there now and want to know from people who live there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
It's not like those states used to be, it's always been a bit different anyway, nor is it like itself from 30-40 years ago.
The only thing I can think of is that it isn't quite as popular with transplants yet as those states, but it's at the beginning stages of that sort of thing. So in that sense, Arkansas is where those places may have been years ago, and is heading in the same general direction... Unfortunately.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:12 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
OPs question doesn't make a lot of sense. No Arkansas isn't barefoot hillbillies playing the banjo, well maybe Madison County. Have you visited? Why would you want to buy property? What part of the state, northwest Arkansas is a different from southeast Arkansas as boiled peanuts are from catfish.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I'm seeing a lot of internet content that suggests Arkansas is like Georgia and NC use to be. I'm thinking of buying property there now and want to know from people who live there..
I am not quite sure what you mean, by like GA and NC was back when? It is growing, some areas more than others, of course most of the state can be considered rural. The NW region is filled with transplants from all over the world as a matter of fact. Unemployment is low. People are very friendly and welcoming for the most part and of course it is a beautiful state.

What you need to do is take about a week and drive the state. Spend a few nights in small towns and bigger cities. Talk to people, Check out prices of homes and land Then you can get a better idea of what living here is really like. When we choose our forever home we did a lot of traveling through the states we thought would work for us, we stopped at rest stops and chamber of commerce and picked up literature about the regions and studied them. We would even stop by a grocery store and pick up ads for the week. We did our homework in other words and it paid off.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 AM

858 posts, read 681,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
" northwest Arkansas is a different from southeast Arkansas as boiled peanuts are from catfish."

Love this quote. Made me laugh out loud

Old 05-31-2019, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Love this quote. Made me laugh out loud
Not only is it funny it is pretty darn true. To many NWA hardly seems southern and is also mostly middle class. Southeastern AR is rural and pretty much working class.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
That's kind of an awkward comparison. I have no idea how to answer that. If you have specific questions or specific needs, you could post them. Your best option is to do some research and then come visit the areas you think might fit your lifestyle.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:03 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
I basically mean in that there isn't a strip mall or planned community going up at least once a month and all the negative economic effects of that. You still have privacy and some liberty like you use to in NC and most of GA and you don't have to be on a STEM salary or be a millionaire for the rent or property taxes..

I own some property in south GA and around Charlotte, NC and plan on selling and moving around LA, AR, or AL or maybe even MS. I liked the disconnected lifestyle you could have in NC and GA and TN in the seventies and eighties and some of the nineties.. I keep seeing stuff about that being a "problem" in that region..

Last edited by TJJT; 05-31-2019 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 01:16 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Well, one way that AR is like Georgia and NC:
Charlotte NC is nothing like Black Mountain,
and Atlanta is nothing like Commerce Georgia.

Little Rock and Conway are nothing like Evening Shade and Salem.
Rogers is nothing like El Dorado.
Blytheville is nothing like Ashdown.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:17 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
I basically mean in that there isn't a strip mall or planned community going up at least once a month and all the negative economic effects of that. You still have privacy and some liberty like you use to in NC and most of GA and you don't have to be on a STEM salary or be a millionaire for the rent or property taxes..

I own some property in south GA and around Charlotte, NC and plan on selling and moving around LA, AR, or AL or maybe even MS. I liked the disconnected lifestyle you could have in NC and GA and TN in the seventies and eighties and some of the nineties.. I keep seeing stuff about that being a "problem" in that region..
I would say Arkansas has it's share of people who are 'disconnected'. There are different extremes of that. I'm not sure where you fall. A majority of the state is slower paced. At times, it feels like a time warp when I travel back to visit.

Most of the state is rural. There are areas of the state that are quite affordable for various salaries. The further away from a city, usually the less expensive to live. There are people living a hour away or more and only come in to the city to shop once or twice a month if that is the type of lifestyle you desire. You don't have to go that far to find relative spaciousness. I would have a job lined up before I move anywhere. A number of jobs have moved out. Relatively few are moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas