Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:17 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,127 times

Advertisements

Isn't there a politics forum for this, people?

To the original poster, Fort Smith isn't all that bad. There is a bit more crime than I would like, but I grew near Jackson, MS....Fort Smith is a blessing comparatively speaking. If the worst problem they've got is a woman telling someone"God is good"...yeah, I think you're alright. I've got overly liberal people spewing crap to me in college that I don't like hearing either, but I'll be able to live the next day, I think.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,046 times
Yes, good heavens, why on earth would we want to live in a town where about the worst thing that can happen to us is someone mentioning God in a line....much better to live in a place where someone in a line is more likely to be demanding for you to hand over your money.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
I`m confused. Why would anyone be embarrassed, ashamed, or even think its "not the appropriate time" to mention Gods name...ever??
I don`t care if your standing in line at a resturant, or sitting in the waiting room at a doctors office, ESPECIALLY if you do go to church! Unless you are just one of those people who go to sit in the pews, and talk about Mrs. Smith`s flowered dress.
I think thats what God wants you to do, not complain to your neighbors about a stranger mentioning his name in a resturant.
I think don`t just because you have one incident that happens that you may not "approve" of, makes it a bad place. Chill out a little, for Heavens sake.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 20,281 times
I think that maybe back in the day (yes I just said "back in the day") conversing about God was normal and appreciated. But as society moves forward and people take on different beliefs and opinions, talking so openly about your beliefs can rub some the wrong way.

What if a Middle Eastern woman were standing in line in front of you and said, "Allah has blessed the day with beauty. Praise Allah". How would you respond?

I, personally, would just smile and not say anything. But I would feel slightly awkward.

It's a personal belief that should be kept personal unless in a surrounding of followers (like, oh I don't know, church). I don't go up to a stranger and say, "I haven't shaved my legs in 3 weeks". That's something personal that I would keep to myself unless in an organization of feminists. (Not that I'm comparing God to hairy legs or feminism, but..oh you get it)

And trust me, living in Fort Smith I have to smile and not say anything a lot. In fact, at one of my jobs, in a company e-mail, a woman always ended the e-mail with a psalm. Well, I started ending my e-mails with a quote from George Byron. Not soon after we were sent a notification that personal signatures were not allowed on company e-mail. And that was the end of that.

I just think it's interesting all of the opinions on this. And I did ask why people pick on Fort Smith, and maybe this is one of the reasons.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzmcgee View Post
I think that maybe back in the day (yes I just said "back in the day") conversing about God was normal and appreciated. But as society moves forward and people take on different beliefs and opinions, talking so openly about your beliefs can rub some the wrong way.
I think thats whats wrong with society today, don`t you? They worry to much about "what other people think!" They may think," If I say the word God, I might offend someone." Come on people.... Lets get our head screwed back on straight, and stop worrying about offending others, because we mention Gods name, for cryin` out loud! Especially people who claim they "go to church every Sunday!" So what! YOUR the ones who should be telling the World about God, not acting offended, because someone mentioned his name in public! See? That just gets me, everytime. People acting this way, and then claiming to be a Christian? How can you be a Christian, and then lower your head in shame...because a stranger mentioned his name in public!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Yes, good heavens, why on earth would we want to live in a town where about the worst thing that can happen to us is someone mentioning God in a line....much better to live in a place where someone in a line is more likely to be demanding for you to hand over your money.
did anyone say they wouldn't live in Ft Smith or anyplace else because of the comment? No, the question was "why does Ft Smith get such a bad rap" or something like that? My comment and others just listed things that do affect ones views on an area. I would never say this would be a reason for not moving to a place. I will still say, I thought he comment was a little off base and one I have never witnessed before. Yes, it did leave an impression on me.

Nita

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I`m confused. Why would anyone be embarrassed, ashamed, or even think its "not the appropriate time" to mention Gods name...ever??
I don`t care if your standing in line at a resturant, or sitting in the waiting room at a doctors office, ESPECIALLY if you do go to church! Unless you are just one of those people who go to sit in the pews, and talk about Mrs. Smith`s flowered dress.
I think thats what God wants you to do, not complain to your neighbors about a stranger mentioning his name in a resturant.
I think don`t just because you have one incident that happens that you may not "approve" of, makes it a bad place. Chill out a little, for Heavens sake.
I will repeat what I said to luvarkansas, no one said one incidtent would keep them from moving to an area, but, yes, it does make an impression and I, personally take your comments as an insult. I am an Episcopalian, which to some holier than thou makes me not a Christian. I believe in the same God you do, we do spend our time both in church, working for our church and donating hours each month to helping those less fortunite than us. Our priest, who, God forbid, is a female, is one of our best friends. I also will say it again, there are times and places for everything and a way of saying things. What was said to me is not wrong, but it does show a mindset of some people and I did not think it was appropriate. Mentioning God's name was not point, the way it was said was. Anyone can flaunt thier religious views, I choose to the same as I do not flaunt my political views, my view on various life styles or my views on where someone should or should not live. What is this that you do not understand?

Nita

Old 04-25-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I think thats whats wrong with society today, don`t you? They worry to much about "what other people think!" They may think," If I say the word God, I might offend someone." Come on people.... Lets get our head screwed back on straight, and stop worrying about offending others, because we mention Gods name, for cryin` out loud! Especially people who claim they "go to church every Sunday!" So what! YOUR the ones who should be telling the World about God, not acting offended, because someone mentioned his name in public! See? That just gets me, everytime. People acting this way, and then claiming to be a Christian? How can you be a Christian, and then lower your head in shame...because a stranger mentioned his name in public!
and your views are not offending others? What right do you have to decide who is and isn't a Christian and who has the right to judge people by whether they are or are not Christians? What about Jews, Buddist, Heindos and even Muslums? Are Christians the only people in the world that have feelings and rights?

Now, maybe you can understand where some of us are coming from, it is the narrow minded people who need to realize the world is changing.

Nita

Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was in line at a very popular buffet type restaurant. A nice lady said to me, good afternoon or something like that, I remarked how good the food was and her answer: when God is present everything is good, don't you agree? Well, I am relatively religious, we do attend church every Sunday, do lots of volunteer work, but I don't think I would every make a comment like that to a stranger. It was one of the things that turned us off to FT Smith.

Nita
Hello Nita.... I don`t care what religion you are...if you believe in the same God as I do, then what I don`t understand, is why a girls comment about "When God is present, everything is good, don`t you agree" would upset you, or offend you, in anyway? You explain to me, why this comment makes you feel ashame?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:13 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,061,457 times
Jesus says in John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father but by me. This is for Christians, Jews, Buddist, Hindu, and Muslims. This is hard for people to accept, but it is still the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas