Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 12:03 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times

Advertisements

The biggest story of all this are the snowfall totals you're seeing. That is a bit unusual.
A lot of Arkansas will easily exceed its annual average with this one storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 01:14 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The biggest story of all this are the snowfall totals you're seeing. That is a bit unusual.
A lot of Arkansas will easily exceed its annual average with this one storm.
Forecast is showing Little Rock to get a foot of snow over the next 72 hours.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I didn't realize you were in KY. I did see the ice storm expected again there. Ice is what scares me, I'll take the cold and snow any day. Keep us posted and hope for the best.
I'm a Kentuckian with deep Arkansas roots on my mother's side, going back four generations into the early 1800s. I still have lots of cousins there, and normally visit annually. My most recent visit was in October of 2019.

I hope I can get to Arkansas this spring, once fully vaccinated (booster shot is due on Friday but may well get weather-delayed a few days) as one of my cousins is getting married (outside) on May 1. I also want to dig for crystals!

Much of my childhood summers and almost all of my Christmases and spring vacations were spent at my grandparents' home in Conway (or visiting my aunts and uncles in Little Rock, Fayetteville, Benton, and Pine Bluff), and I have wonderful memories of those happy times. Arkansas is a beautiful state, something unrealized by many who've never visited there.

Stay warm and safe - we're getting sleet here in Central Kentucky right now, rather than the heavy snow we expected. Will be very glad when this winter is over and spring returns...

Old 02-15-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Forecast is showing Little Rock to get a foot of snow over the next 72 hours.
Ohmigosh!! Glad my three LR cousins live in mostly level neighborhoods rather than on the Heights! Is power still on in LR? One of my elderly cousins has health issues, and there's no fireplace where he lives now...other two there should be okay, thankfully. What's Fayetteville like?

Old 02-15-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Ohmigosh!! Glad my three LR cousins live in mostly level neighborhoods rather than on the Heights! Is power still on in LR? One of my elderly cousins has health issues, and there's no fireplace where he lives now...other two there should be okay, thankfully. What's Fayetteville like?
As far as I know, there is power in LR. They've had some snow already but it's very light powder snow so far less likely to weigh anything down.
I'm no in Fayetteville but I would imagine and cold and snowy like the rest of NWA.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, there is power in LR. They've had some snow already but it's very light powder snow so far less likely to weigh anything down.
I'm no in Fayetteville but I would imagine and cold and snowy like the rest of NWA.
That's good to learn re LR. Best wishes to everyone impacted by the storm in Arkansas (and elsewhere).

Old 02-16-2021, 02:57 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times
Dropped below zero here a few hours ago.
We got six inches of snow yesterday, and expect about six more in the next storm.
Looks like we will dig out sometime after Saturday.

I planned ahead and can deal with it, most of my family grew up dirt poor, so they are pretty resilient, but I am a little worried about my neighbors.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:36 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
Y'all need to warm up before I get up to NWA in 3 weeks. We are having our coldest weather down in South Alabama this morning and it is 26 and still falling. With this event I think I will want a propane powered whole house generator when I get up there.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:30 AM

Looks like the forecasters really busted on the nighttime lows, almost all areas I'm looking at are far colder than expected. I'm at -12, Huntville is at -14, Harrison is at -9, Jasper -10. Luckily we warm up fast today with lots of sunshine.

Second round of snow shows less than they thought yesterday, and I'm hoping that is right. I've learned that accumulation forecast are often way off and can go either way.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:37 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm still a few years short of 50, but this type of weather comes along every 5-10 years at least. Any part of the state will get below freezing a few times each year.
Below zero is more rare, but certainly not unheard of.
Next year, it could be just as likely no one will see hardly a snowflake. You just never know.
Cold weather is frequent enough to take note of, but not frequent enough for the state to put a ton of resources in it.

As for pipes freezing, it's not much of an issue. Just let your water trickle during the cold spell if you're worried about it.
It's more of a problem for house trailers or older homes with poorly insulated crawl spaces. Things that can easily be remedied with better insulation.
Arkansas has been big on concrete slab foundations for many years now.

I currently live in a midwestern state where below zero is guaranteed several times a year with highs around zero, and our pipes don't freeze. Basements are the norm, though, and plain old gas furnaces keep things warm just fine. Of course, it's important they're maintained to reduce the risk of breaking down. I'd be diligent about that sort of thing anywhere.
Our worst gas bill here so far has been $60.
I will not live in a house built on a slab............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas