Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 02:16 AM

8,926 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
I'd look elsewhere in TN before moving to Arkansas. I lived there while young, spent a big chunk of my life in North Carolina, and moved to eastern Tennessee so I could "keep" NC but live a more affordable life.

There are people who love Arkansas, but it doesn't have the mountains like TN/NC. The lakes in Arkansas draw people from surrounding states, it is hot - whoa-bad hot, there. I'd look at more northeastern Tennessee (Jonesborough), some of the towns between Nashville and Knoxville, or even southwest Virginia.
I love Arkansas,
but this does make a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 06:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
I wanna get out of Knoxville because there's too many tourists here.
The out of state license plates you see are not tourists - they are people looking to relocate. I imagine you'd find the same in Fayetteville. My advice is to look at the small towns halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga - that way you have the Cherehala skyway for an uncrowded mountain experience. Or further north in E TN. Greeneville, perhaps.

Another option is NW SC. There are some beautiful lakes there.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
In terms of climate, how does eastern Tennessee (namely, Johnson City/Kingsport/Pigeon Forge) area compare to northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Bentonville)? I’m one who is looking to relocate and both NWA and eastern Tennessee seem like promising options. However, I’m not a big fan of extended periods of heat and humidity, so I’d love to find a location that is not overly hot and humid for too many months at a time — but I do realize that pretty much comes with the territory anywhere in the South.

I used to spend every summer as a teenager with family near Fort Smith, Arkansas, and the heat and humidity were awful — but especially at night when things remained warm and sweltering. (I’m from coastal Southern California, by the way, so I’m used to a very mild climate.) However, I do not expect or even want that mild but very boring So. Cal coastal climate: I would like to find more seasonal variety without going too extreme. And looking at climate data for NWA and eastern Tennessee, it appears that those areas have some of the more mild summers anywhere in the South (except for maybe the Asheville, North Carolina area).

Anyways, I have no definite plans yet; I’m still in the exploratory stage. Actually, I left So. Cal a few months back and am currently living (at lest temporarily) in Kelso, Washington, which is about 50 miles north of Portland, Oregon. And this is a very nice, scenic place, but I’m not so sure that I would like to live here permanently. The towns around here are a bit run down and shabby (many logging towns and mill towns that have seen better days) and many of the local residents are a bit rough around the edges. And drug/meth use is rampant in these rural Washington areas. Plus, although real estate prices here are considerably cheaper than they are in Southern California, they are still not all that cheap — and they are going up as more and more Portlanders look north for cheaper housing.

So, I’m seriously thinking about possibly relocating to either Arkansas or Tennessee. I know the cost of living would be much cheaper than it is in both California and Washington, and real estate prices would be much less. I’m no longer interested in living in ultra expensive metropolitan areas like Southern California. But where to go is the question. Washington state is pretty, but I’m not sold on it.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:10 PM

319 posts, read 199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
The towns around here are a bit run down and shabby (many logging towns and mill towns that have seen better days) and many of the local residents are a bit rough around the edges. And drug/meth use is rampant in these rural Washington areas.
It's rather the same with areas in eastern TN, only change the industry to coal. Drugs are a problem as well. There is a large, undereducated class of people who are drawn to drugs because life seems hopeless for them.

Climate-wise - you get hot summers; not as hot and humid as Arkansas; though there is the saving grace of being able to escape to higher altitudes for cooler temps.

Pigeon Forge is a tourist town. If you want the din of traffic and hordes of people, that would be the place to find it. We checked out Kingsport and Johnson City. Those are nice places. We might have chosen either one, or Jonesborough, but wanted to be a bit farther west. It might not be a concern, but eastern TN has high levels of radon.

My grandparents lived in NW Arkansas for several decades. I spent summers there, then lived with them for several years. No way would I return to Arkansas, not after living in North Carolina and now, eastern TN. It is simply a more scenic and rustic place to live.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:47 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
In terms of climate, how does eastern Tennessee (namely, Johnson City/Kingsport/Pigeon Forge) area compare to northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Bentonville)? I’m one who is looking to relocate and both NWA and eastern Tennessee seem like promising options. However, I’m not a big fan of extended periods of heat and humidity, so I’d love to find a location that is not overly hot and humid for too many months at a time — but I do realize that pretty much comes with the territory anywhere in the South.

I used to spend every summer as a teenager with family near Fort Smith, Arkansas, and the heat and humidity were awful — but especially at night when things remained warm and sweltering. (I’m from coastal Southern California, by the way, so I’m used to a very mild climate.) However, I do not expect or even want that mild but very boring So. Cal coastal climate: I would like to find more seasonal variety without going too extreme. And looking at climate data for NWA and eastern Tennessee, it appears that those areas have some of the more mild summers anywhere in the South (except for maybe the Asheville, North Carolina area).

Anyways, I have no definite plans yet; I’m still in the exploratory stage. Actually, I left So. Cal a few months back and am currently living (at lest temporarily) in Kelso, Washington, which is about 50 miles north of Portland, Oregon. And this is a very nice, scenic place, but I’m not so sure that I would like to live here permanently. The towns around here are a bit run down and shabby (many logging towns and mill towns that have seen better days) and many of the local residents are a bit rough around the edges. And drug/meth use is rampant in these rural Washington areas. Plus, although real estate prices here are considerably cheaper than they are in Southern California, they are still not all that cheap — and they are going up as more and more Portlanders look north for cheaper housing.

So, I’m seriously thinking about possibly relocating to either Arkansas or Tennessee. I know the cost of living would be much cheaper than it is in both California and Washington, and real estate prices would be much less. I’m no longer interested in living in ultra expensive metropolitan areas like Southern California. But where to go is the question. Washington state is pretty, but I’m not sold on it.

Feel free to not public reply if you don't want and PM instead but I can't help but be curious if you are choosing east TN and NW AR specifically because of the ongoing political/preparedness/self sufficiency migration going on. Both these specific regions are very appealing to those in the east as relocation options to be around others with similar viewpoints. I'm just wondering if this is a part of your decision criteria.

I would personally be interested in NW AR And I still try to learn and keep tabs on it but it's probably realistically too far for me. I think I need to stay on the east coast and TN or perhaps NC/SC/KY. East TN is really nice. I just drove through Johnson city, Erwin and jonesborough last month.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:19 PM

50 posts, read 37,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Weekends will see the heaviest use by tourists, as is true anywhere. That said, Arkansas tourism doesn't compare in numbers to the extremely heavy tourism found in and near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and that's a good thing in my personal view. Beautiful scenery, smaller crowds.
This! Last May (when the weather is very nice) I visited Smoky Mountains area and right after that headed to Arkansas, to the tourist areas around Hot Springs and later to Eureka Springs. I think one can't really compare the busyness of Eastern Tennessee - which is accompanied by the busyness of major East Coast highway and higher population density - to much more peaceful and slow-paced Arkansas. There weren't too many people in AR. Actually I was driving around both national forests finding hardly any cars sharing the road with me, enjoyed completely empty rest stops in the forest.

Central Arkansas (Ouachita mountains) is one of the most beautiful places out there, I like the nature there more than one in Eastern TN - and even though Smoky Mountains park is quite scenic, it is overrun by the tourists. I hiked in Hot Springs National Park in AR enjoying having trails to myself. One drawback in AR, though, is that there're a lot more ticks there...and they carry bad diseases, unlike in East TN.

I had lived in really touristy areas before (think Lake Tahoe in NorthCal), where tourists car jams can last miles...AR tourism load is nothing compared to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas