Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 11:13 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldiet View Post
How about Hispanic and Asian?

Springdale has a large Hispanic population. There are also a good many in the Russellville/Dardanelle area. Both are beautiful areas, not to mention a little less expensive than Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 02:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
I'm on my third extended visit to the rural south this year. I'm mixed White/Hispanic. Late 30's, and I present nicely.

NOBODY CARES.

I will say that the situation in places like this has improved over even 10-15 years ago. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. At this point, everybody everywhere has 24x7 access to their smartphone, which IMO has softened people's ignorance quite a bit (for whatever reason). And if anybody bothers throwing racist barbs at you, it will be long after you're good friends and/or family (because they have no other way of handling your "differentness", it will need to be acknowledged all the time once you're close, but they could just as well do that about you being Canadian.

But really, if ANYTHING, your Canadian accent will be a novelty/curiosity for some.

Go have fun, and do what you want to do because you only live once.

Old 12-04-2021, 04:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
Quote:
I am mixed and I have dark skin. My family is worried that since its not "multi-cultural" then it must be a really racist place. I know its irrational of them but I assume there are some places that are less friendly than others. Mind you I have never been anywhere in Arkansas but I love to go somewhere that is mid-west.
Arkansas is multicultural. It is majority white, but there are people from every racial/ethnic/religious background living here.

Where are you from in Canada? Is it more diverse than Arkansas?

Also, just like in Canada, demographics vary from city to city.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Arkansas is multicultural. It is majority white, but there are people from every racial/ethnic/religious background living here.

Where are you from in Canada? Is it more diverse than Arkansas?

Also, just like in Canada, demographics vary from city to city.
I believe he said he was from Vancouver. Which is one of (if not THE) most cosmopolitan and diverse cities in the world.

Old 12-05-2021, 12:30 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
I like to think people are friendly and that its just old outdated thinking but I have to ask if there are territories that are dangerous for minorities or which places tend to be friendly. Mind you I am in Canada a part in which is super liberal.
If you really try, you might be able to find someone who cares about your skin color or ethnicity, but you would probably have to work at it.

OTOH, your political views could become a problem, as the US is rapidly polarizing. It is a spat between the Conservative Patriot movement, and a Bolshevik Leftist insurgency, here in Arkansas. The true liberals are lying low hoping it is temporary, and will pass...

Would suggest telling people as little as possible about political views.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:27 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
I am mixed and I have dark skin. My family is worried that since its not "multi-cultural" then it must be a really racist place. I know its irrational of them but I assume there are some places that are less friendly than others. Mind you I have never been anywhere in Arkansas but I love to go somewhere that is mid-west.

I like to think people are friendly and that its just old outdated thinking but I have to ask if there are territories that are dangerous for minorities or which places tend to be friendly. Mind you I am in Canada a part in which is super liberal.

So right now I have two perspective. Parents are worried that its a state that does not welcomed colored people. I think its the opposite. I think its a place that welcomes anyone as long as you abide by their culture and are a friendly and positive person.

Feel free and let me know. Every place on earth will have its bad territory. Doesn't the town itself is bad.

Actually, using the term "colored people" would make some people assume YOU are racist. That term went out with the 1960s.

You might find this interesting:

https://www.swtimes.com/story/news/2...as/8120433002/

Old 12-06-2021, 02:05 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Actually, using the term "colored people" would make some people assume YOU are racist. That term went out with the 1960s.

You might find this interesting:

https://www.swtimes.com/story/news/2...as/8120433002/
Just a note, that, terms no longer in use in the US, are often in common use in other countries.

What I find most interesting about the link is that almost half of the respondents in AR told the census bureau that it was no one's business what race they were.

Kinda goes along with what Count David said about "nobody cares."

Old 12-06-2021, 07:33 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
I generally don't have a high opinion on race relations in the South but I don't think it's THAT bad, c'mon.

I spent several years of my early childhood in the rural part of neighboring Missouri in the 80s and my parents and I have never felt unsafe though we did experience mild discrimination from time to time. We're Asian though so I'm not sure if the experience will be similar.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:08 AM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If you really try, you might be able to find someone who cares about your skin color or ethnicity, but you would probably have to work at it.

OTOH, your political views could become a problem, as the US is rapidly polarizing. It is a spat between the Conservative Patriot movement, and a Bolshevik Leftist insurgency, here in Arkansas. The true liberals are lying low hoping it is temporary, and will pass...

Would suggest telling people as little as possible about political views.
100% false, the biggest issue by far is the moderate voters are no longer represented in this country, just extreme elements on both sides shouting to command attention like a bunch of middle school students. There are many different reasons for the large-scale decline, and many people are to blame, but that is reserved for the politics forum.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:11 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Feel free and let me know. Every place on earth will have its bad territory. Doesn't the town itself is bad.
Feel free to ask me any question about it
I lived in that area for many years, now I live in Houston and constantly travel to Arkansas and Missouri to visit relatives
And very likely, I look just like you.

In few words ... I would say it's the same as any other state in the Midwest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas