Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 17,832 times

Advertisements

I am mixed and I have dark skin. My family is worried that since its not "multi-cultural" then it must be a really racist place. I know its irrational of them but I assume there are some places that are less friendly than others. Mind you I have never been anywhere in Arkansas but I love to go somewhere that is mid-west.

I like to think people are friendly and that its just old outdated thinking but I have to ask if there are territories that are dangerous for minorities or which places tend to be friendly. Mind you I am in Canada a part in which is super liberal.

So right now I have two perspective. Parents are worried that its a state that does not welcomed colored people. I think its the opposite. I think its a place that welcomes anyone as long as you abide by their culture and are a friendly and positive person.

Feel free and let me know. Every place on earth will have its bad territory. Doesn't the town itself is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 12:17 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Arkansas is not in the Mid West. Why Arkansas?

Old 12-03-2021, 12:44 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
It's not 1958. Enjoy your visit. Go to Fayetteville, you'll love it.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:51 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldiet View Post
I am mixed and I have dark skin. My family is worried that since its not "multi-cultural" then it must be a really racist place. I know its irrational of them but I assume there are some places that are less friendly than others. Mind you I have never been anywhere in Arkansas but I love to go somewhere that is mid-west.

I like to think people are friendly and that its just old outdated thinking but I have to ask if there are territories that are dangerous for minorities or which places tend to be friendly. Mind you I am in Canada a part in which is super liberal.

So right now I have two perspective. Parents are worried that its a state that does not welcomed colored people. I think its the opposite. I think its a place that welcomes anyone as long as you abide by their culture and are a friendly and positive person.

Feel free and let me know. Every place on earth will have its bad territory. Doesn't the town itself is bad.
Arkansas is an unusual state for a Canadian visitor who is looking to become an American citizen.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:50 PM

58 posts, read 87,222 times
About 15% of Arkansas's population is black

Old 12-03-2021, 03:21 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times
What are they worried about?

Old 12-03-2021, 05:42 PM

14 posts, read 17,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Arkansas is not in the Mid West. Why Arkansas?
In that case forgive my ignorance. Reason being that property is cheap and I want to buy a building. Vancouver is so expensive that its unlivable and people are unfriendly because you have to work all day to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It's not 1958. Enjoy your visit. Go to Fayetteville, you'll love it.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Arkansas is an unusual state for a Canadian visitor who is looking to become an American citizen.
This is true and fair enough to mention. Reason is, Vancouver is extremely expensive and not very friendly because its always raining, cold and very difficult to survive. I have heard that Arkansas is more quite and chilled.

Also I wish to buy a warehouse for my business and prices are very good and affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issaquahhiker View Post
About 15% of Arkansas's population is black
How about Hispanic and Asian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
What are they worried about?
They picture KKK in their heads. They have a very old school view and for some odd reason they assume Arkansas is heavily white and racist. I disagree with them. In fact in a place with the least amount of minority will be more friendly because you won't be exposed regardless if its good or bad experience.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:26 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
[quote=dieseldiet;62436241
They picture KKK in their heads. They have a very old school view and for some odd reason they assume Arkansas is heavily white and racist. I disagree with them. In fact in a place with the least amount of minority will be more friendly because you won't be exposed regardless if its good or bad experience.[/QUOTE]

Why not take your family for a visit to Arkansas?

It may help them to see the going ons in the state, may help alleviate their fears for you and you may get a valuable advice from your elders…

Old 12-04-2021, 04:03 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Arkansas is a very beautiful state. I have friends who are from AR and I know others who have moved there. AR has a sizable black population.

Yes, it is the deep south, but it's no different from the Carolinas or Georgia. I Enjoy Little Rock, Hot Springs, and Fayetteville. Low cost of living and a nice place to visit, especially in Spring and Fall.

You may be remembering the footage of the integration of Little Rock Central High School. It's not like that anymore. I am sure there are some racists, but for the American South, I could think of worse places to visit. Just stay out of the country. I might recommend that you do that in my home state (NY) and my current state (OH) also, if you want to steer clear of those types.

Visit Arkansas! You just may be delighted.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldiet View Post

That is all nice but what do you plan to do with the house?
What are your plans for a warehouse? You posted that you " help your parents".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas