Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:29 AM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictropical View Post
I find pine woods to be prettier - first off, because they stay green when leaves are down/less barren look, secondly Arkansas pines got those huge long needles, these are quite nice looking trees. Also pine forest is a cleaner forest with much less underbrush unlike the hardwood jungle, more biting bugs are where there's underbrush. Plus, pines clean the air and give off that nice smell. So I found South of I-40 to be quite stunning, they did log many more pines North of I-40 in Ozark NF versus Ouachita NF.
Everything you say is the exact truth. And that is why the Ouachitas are more user friendly. The pine forests. The Waldron area is beautiful. The mix of the hardwoods and pine is stunning. Another thing about the Ouachita is that the valley floors are usually a bit wider. Thus you have some really nice site lines from low spots and you also have more usable acreage than you might in the Ozarks.

It's hard to find any pine in the Ozarks to speak of. Apparently what there was was logged out by 1920. And that's a real shame. The hardwood leaf change is wonderful but in summer as you say the bugs are awful and in winter there isn't any green. The temps might be a little better in the north because the elevations are higher but we are talking about a three degree difference. Not enough to make that much difference in summertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 01:49 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Everything you say is the exact truth. And that is why the Ouachitas are more user friendly. The pine forests. The Waldron area is beautiful. The mix of the hardwoods and pine is stunning. Another thing about the Ouachita is that the valley floors are usually a bit wider. Thus you have some really nice site lines from low spots and you also have more usable acreage than you might in the Ozarks.

It's hard to find any pine in the Ozarks to speak of. Apparently what there was was logged out by 1920. And that's a real shame. The hardwood leaf change is wonderful but in summer as you say the bugs are awful and in winter there isn't any green. The temps might be a little better in the north because the elevations are higher but we are talking about a three degree difference. Not enough to make that much difference in summertime.

Just had to comment on the part I bolded, much more than 3 degrees depending on how high to low. More like a 10 degree difference with much lower dew points and humidity at the higher levels as well as more breeze. Sometimes there is a 10-12 degree difference between me and Russellville, which is an hour and 15 minutes to my south on Hwy 7.

I mention this because I know the OP would like less heat/humidity so it's an important factor to consider. It was for me 7 years ago.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
[/b]

Just had to comment on the part I bolded, much more than 3 degrees depending on how high to low. More like a 10 degree difference with much lower dew points and humidity at the higher levels as well as more breeze. Sometimes there is a 10-12 degree difference between me and Russellville, which is an hour and 15 minutes to my south on Hwy 7.

I mention this because I know the OP would like less heat/humidity so it's an important factor to consider. It was for me 7 years ago.
At the end of the month we're heading up. I really can't wait. Was supposed to move 2 years ago, but Covid messed that up with jobs. Now there's nothing holding us back! It's all in good timing to call Arkansas home. And yes, the heat is really #1 factor. It's so miserable knowing that you need to get things done outside, but the second you open that door and feel the heat, and your breath gets taken away. Body can't take it as much as I used to.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:55 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
The Waldron and Mena area is very remote and beautiful. I don' t know much about the local economies, but the national forest covers a majority of the area it seems. Some of the vistas driving down Highway 71 near those towns look like you are in the Smokies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas