Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:46 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times

Advertisements

I know the original post is over a year old, but I'm still gonna put in my two-bits worth. I work in Hot Springs and my office is in one of those "less desirable" areas which is only a block from a "high class" area, which is not unusual in H.S. I have had to park in several parts of town during day and night and have never had any problems. A friend lives west of St Jo hospital and never locks her doors (car or house) and has never lost anything. I tell her she is nuts but she continues to do that. Perhaps it is the luck of the draw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I know the original post is over a year old, but I'm still gonna put in my two-bits worth. I work in Hot Springs and my office is in one of those "less desirable" areas which is only a block from a "high class" area, which is not unusual in H.S. I have had to park in several parts of town during day and night and have never had any problems. A friend lives west of St Jo hospital and never locks her doors (car or house) and has never lost anything. I tell her she is nuts but she continues to do that. Perhaps it is the luck of the draw.
thanks for telling the otherside. I have only been to Hot Springs a couple of times, we have never had any problems, but I will admit one time we stayed at a Hampton Inn which probably wasn't the best part of town, I was a little nervous.
Nita

Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,960 times
Default 7yearresident

I also live on the Lake (Hamilton) and our crime here has been steadily increasing in the last two years since the building of a HUD apartment complex. For the first 5 years I lived here, I had no thefts. In the last two years my lawn mower has been stolen, car broken into twice, stealing 2 gps systems and various strangers on my property. It is increasing daily with home and vehicle break-ins and thefts, including the Central Avenue Wal-Mart location. And unfortunately I am being told that it is the sign of the future of our country in any town American USA with the rampage of drug infestation. And the legal system seems to be releasing repeat offenders faster than the police can arrest them. With this said, I do not know where there would be a safe place to live. The crime and the economy has decreased our property value to the point that we cannot get out.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,960 times
Default also fed up with crime in HS

I also am fed up with the escalating crime in Hot Springs. I live in one of the nicest areas on the lake and have had 2 car thefts, property stolen and vandalized - My bank account was wiped out from identity theft when mail was stolen which forced me to get a post offfice box. This has all been within the last 2 years (2011-2013). Neighbors on my street have had similar problems. And I have also been told that there is an escalating rampage of thefts -breaking & entering and crimes and that the police and sherrif's department do not have adequate funding or manpower. And with the down housing market in addition to the crime my property value has decreased - making moving not an option. What are we to do? Can anyone help us?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,952 times
A major portion of the property thefts in the affluent neighborhoods is due to people not locking their cars.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM

34 posts, read 102,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
A major portion of the property thefts in the affluent neighborhoods is due to people not locking their cars.
Isn't the major portion of the property thefts in the affluent neighborhoods due to thieves? I might even go out on a limb to say ALL thefts are by thieves and not the fault of the victim.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooHappy View Post
Isn't the major portion of the property thefts in the affluent neighborhoods due to thieves? I might even go out on a limb to say ALL thefts are by thieves and not the fault of the victim.
If you leave your car unlocked, it is partly your fault if things disappear. Most thieves aren't going to work hard to steal stuff.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:09 PM

90 posts, read 64,395 times
I lived there for a few years and may retire there. The down town area around spring st. was a bit bad. It was a place I don't think I would walk alone at 3am. But in the day I was never worried about it. I don't see HS as a bad place. Yes there was a few shootings over the years but there is no place that has a population of more than 20 that does not have its problems. The only thing about HS I was a bit upset over was the lack of renovation in the old historic down town. Its such a beautiful place and nothing is being done to bring it back again.

The poets loft is a good example of how things could be all over the old area. The California company that bought and renovated the building across from the court house and its a restaurant supply place and the up stairs is office rental is how things could be all over. Its one of the greatest places I have ever been.

I was talking to a guy who was working at Angles Pizza, and he said he moved out west and did not realize how good he had it until he left. As far as beauty goes its hard to beat. Eureka Springs comes to mind but it has a few draw backs, its half a days drive there and back to a walmart, homedepot or lowes. I know that some love that but if you need something its a problem. Streets roll up in winter and its a ghost town. Very small town but one of the coolest places I have ever been. HS has a lot to do in winter, horse racing and gambling, summer are lots of events and things going on. LR has some very cool places also.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 889 times
I think its a very safe place.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,401,092 times
totally agree with petergun!

i do most of my walmart and kroger shopping at night and have never had an issue of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas