Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Arkansas: fishing, rural living, Hispanic population, white collar jobs, farm land, dirt roads

Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times

Advertisements

OK, I am finishing up a job here in Tehran for my wife's father. I am returning to our home in the LA, CA area the first part of September this year. My wife's father is buying our home and I am wanting to move my family out of CA. My wife says she would like to move to the midwest and not the northern parts because we have bothe decided that we would rather not have to deal with lots of ice and snow. We are looking at the state of Arkansas and Missouri as places to move. Neither one of us has that much knowledge about either state, but I am and have been researching, as has my wife. I have to tell all of you that I am of mexican descent, though not from illegals. We are moving to get away from the illegals and the destructiveness of their invasion, so we really don't want to live where there are illegals that are noticeable, if you get my drift. we want to be around Americans, no matter their race or ethnicity, just plain Americans. I love to fish and was kind of looking at the northwest area of your state because of the lakes and such. How is that area? We would probably rent for a while until we would finally decide on a place to buy, maybe something with a couple of acres for our kids to enjoy, just not sure is all. We are also looking into the southwest area of Missouri for the same reasons, fishing and the rural living they can provide. I hope that some of you can direct me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 12:22 PM

49 posts, read 238,958 times
Hello. I was born and raised in north west AR for 29 years. About a 2 years ago, my family moved to central AR because of a job. North west AR is a wonderfull place for businesses, social life and etc, and coming from LA, the population and traffic and such should be better for you than what you are used to, but for me, it has increased terribly over the last several years. I would call it more like a large increase of population and not enough time or thought on how to build the infrastructure there to deal with it all. They are constantly building and repairing roads and such though.

As far as illeagals,, well, Don't know how many are leagal or not, but north west AR has increased dramaticlly in the Hispanic population over the last 20 years. In fact, a lot of locals call downtown, as little mexico and etc, due to spanish advertising, and people and resturants, etc. Take that as you wish.

The area is also the richest in the state, with the likes of Wal-Mart headquarters, Tyson and Georges, JB Hunt, and etc. WalMart for example demanded that all their vendors have offices in the Bentoville area many years ago after Sam passed. With that came many white collar jobs that brought people in with bigger saleries and expectations. All the things I loved about the area such as farm land, dirt roads and small country life were replaced with half million dollar homes, and etc. Of course it also brought many good things too like a wide variety of resteraunts and things to do.
The lake is wonderfull though and the area is still very nice. There are lots of relocated people like yourself that call it home now. They say that it is wonderfull and such a slower pace of life from where they came, but like I said, to me it is getting too busy.

Hope that helps some.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I'm moving from LA for pretty much the same reasons. But I have other reasons as well. I chose Arkansas because it fits my need for green, slower pace and is filled with Americans. You picked a great forum, if the people here are representative of Arkansas (and I believe they are), I know I'll be happy there. DM me and I'll be happy to share my research with you.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
OK, I am finishing up a job here in Tehran for my wife's father. I am returning to our home in the LA, CA area the first part of September this year. My wife's father is buying our home and I am wanting to move my family out of CA. My wife says she would like to move to the midwest and not the northern parts because we have bothe decided that we would rather not have to deal with lots of ice and snow. We are looking at the state of Arkansas and Missouri as places to move. Neither one of us has that much knowledge about either state, but I am and have been researching, as has my wife. I have to tell all of you that I am of mexican descent, though not from illegals. We are moving to get away from the illegals and the destructiveness of their invasion, so we really don't want to live where there are illegals that are noticeable, if you get my drift. we want to be around Americans, no matter their race or ethnicity, just plain Americans. I love to fish and was kind of looking at the northwest area of your state because of the lakes and such. How is that area? We would probably rent for a while until we would finally decide on a place to buy, maybe something with a couple of acres for our kids to enjoy, just not sure is all. We are also looking into the southwest area of Missouri for the same reasons, fishing and the rural living they can provide. I hope that some of you can direct me in the right direction.
Southwest MO versus NWAR, you can hardly tell the difference. We love living in the Bella Vista area of NWA, Bentonville is also nice, you will have no problems fitting in. This is just my opinion, but there are more Hispanics in NWA than in Mo or it seems that way. This may or may not make a difference to you. I would recommend you take a week off, contact a realtor in both areas, spend a few days looking around and decide what you think. This is what we did. We actually took a week off, visited 3 or 4 places in ARkansas, met with a couple of Realtors, then we ventured a few miles over to NEOk, did the same. After that we were better able to decide what would work the best for us.

As I mentioned and someone else, NWA does have a Mexican population, it is nothing compared to what you see anywhere in the SouthWest. It is like saying traffic is bad here, when you haven't lived in Dallas, L.A. Washing DC or any truely metropolitan area.

Nita

Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
I'd also like to add that fairly decent proportion of the NWA hispanic population is legal. Quite a few people have made the transition from CA to NWA who are American citizens of hispanic descent. I have no idea what the % is of American ciitizens vs. illegal though.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM

31 posts, read 96,677 times
I hear the fishing is good in Arkansas. I love to fish and wanted to buy some property large enough to have a stocked pond. But, since I learned about the mosquitoes, should I say Remembered how my husband attracts them, we have decided to find something between 1/2 acre to a couple of acres. Not too many trees either. Just trying to keep it down to a minimum Well, anyways, I am looking forward to the move and finding my new home. Hopefully, find a great fishing place for ME to go fish. To heck with my husband. But, I'll let him eat my catch.

I do know Hewlett Packard is bringing a lot of business into Conway. 600 jobs it has been said. I would say look at Conway, Greenbrier areas.

Good Luck

Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,360 times
Sounds like NWA would be good for you. You can drive 20 minutes outside of town and be in the middle of no where. Rogers and Springdale have a large hispanic population but it will be nothing like LA. The companies that hire people from Central America tend to be watched very closely. There have been raids and illegals found yet again it's no where near what California or Arizona has. With Beaver and Table Rock lake and several rivers nearby you should be able to find plenty of fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas