Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM

7 posts, read 66,595 times

Advertisements

We are moving to LR soon. As imagined, things will get quite hectic and we are already anticipating a weekend away once all the un-packing is complete and furniture in its place.

Where do you folks suggest we go to get a flavor of AR? Need nominal cost suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Well...a good answer to this is VERY dependent upon what you like to do! If you're an outdoorsy type then my suggestions would be vastly different than if want something a bit more, say, artsy.

Anyways, here are three suggestions:

Eureka Springs: They main tourist season has more or less passed so you might be able to get some decent rates at hotels in the downtown area. This is a great time to go because the streets aren't jam packed with out of state tourists. ES may very well have the most art galleries per capita in the country! Some feature local talent, others feature national and internationally known talent with a very wide range of subject matter and media.

Hike or float the Buffalo: Late summer floating isn't usually the best but we've gotten enough rain this year that you might still be able to do it. You could go up on a Friday afternoon, camp or rent a cabin for a couple of nights and float on Saturday. Bring your sunscreen!!!!

Wait until October or November and take a leaf peeping weekend in the Ozarks: The Ozarks have one of the best fall displays in the country. While New England is blessed with brilliant maples that display an eye numbing yet rather short lived brilliance, the Ozarks has a much wider array of species ranging from the deep crimson of the sweet gum to the subdued yellows of hickories with a nice smattering of maples thrown in too! A longer season and the wide variety means the color profile can change dramatically as the season progresses. I would argue that we definitely have the best fall display west of the Mississippi and in some ways we rival just about anywhere. Now, I'll grant you this, being so far south, we do have bust years when drought and heat will brown out the leaves before it can get cool enough but I think this summer has been mild enough with enough rain than we are in for a spectacular fall!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
And try to do sunset at Mt. Sequoyah...absolutely breathtaking. There's also great hiking at Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, and Mt. Magazine, where there is a new lodge and guest quarters. For a quicker, closer hike you can do Shinall Mountain outside Little Rock.

A weekend in the Ozarks might include a little Eureka Springs, too...a charming town...wind your way up there and back in late October and see the trees. You'll be astounded at the natural beauty! EDIT - oops, see that's been suggested by Stormcrow.

The Buffalo is my all time favorite trip, and in the fall it is just too pretty to be believed. Don't overestimate your endurance, though...keep the float short unless you're a person with lots of upper body strength!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:23 AM

200 posts, read 682,401 times
Another thing you can do is check out www.arkansas.com. You can find a listing of events around the state (festivals, fairs, etc), as well as a wealth of information about things to do around the state.

By the way, I am in no way associated with the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, nor am I affiliated with any tourism related industry. So, please note that this is not a solicitation of any kind.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
The views from Mt. Magazine are astonishing, and the new lodge there is warm and welcoming with a big back porch where you can sit and take in the mountain air. I highly recommend it for newcomers looking for a quick weekend getaway or oldtimers who may have forgotten what a wonderful place Arkansas is.

I would also recommend a trip to Petit Jean. The views there are great, and if you like hiking, it's your place. From LR, you can make a day trip out of Petit Jean if you don't want to stay the night.

Mountain View is great, too. You can take a lawn chair down to court square and listen to some mountain music. Stay at a bed and breakfast, go to the drive-in, explore Blanchard Springs. I've had many great weekends in Mountain View.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,460 times
The Mulberry is another great floating experience. I love the Buffalo also!

The best general info will be on the Arkansas web site. There is a little booklet that has events for each section of Arkansas. The fall is a great time to explore the state. With that little booklet in your hands you will have no trouble finding just the right thing for any weekend in Arkansas.

If you are into the arts - Hot Springs Gallery walks the first week of each month are fun.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,737 times
If you're actually new to Arkansas, best suggestions for a short, cheap trip out of town:

1) Hot Springs - it's only an hour away and you get the bathhouses, the mountains, shopping and dining, and you can rent a boat and hit up Lake Hamilton. It's the ideal weekend getaway for LRers, I do it most summer weekends. 1 hr from LR

2) Float the Buffalo River - I agree, this is a wonderful getaway. Water levels are important - too high and it's not safe, too low and it's no fun. Typically it's low this time of year but the rain lately is keeping it up. Get a cabin in Ponca. 2.5 hrs from LR

3) Petit Jean Mountain - there's a lodge to stay in but cabins are better, beautiful views and short hikes, a scenic waterfall, an antique auto museum, it's the best state park in Arkansas. 1 hr 15 min from LR

4) Eureka Springs - historic mountain town with a Victorian feel, lots of restaurants and shops. 3 hours from LR

Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM

620 posts, read 2,084,305 times
If you're looking for an outdoors adventure for an afternoon without going far, head on over to I-430 and Cantrell Road and then go west on Cantrell. Drive about 6.5 miles and take a right on 300. In about 2 more miles you'll arrive at Pinnacle Mountain State Park. If it hasn't changed since I was there last, you'll find a totally free park with a long shallow mountain climb with some fabulous views at the ridge line and top. Don't forget the camera!

Or if you're finished moving by September 27, you can attend the 45th Annual Wiederkehr Wine Festival, a two day event in Altus, Arkansas.

Wiederkehr Wine Cellars: Annual Weinfest

Wine tasting not your thing? Then here's the calendar of events for throughout Arkansas.

http://www.arkansas.com/calendar/calendar.aspx

Last edited by Bull Winkus; 08-27-2008 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM

106 posts, read 471,012 times
Default weekend away

Lots of great posts on the subject. Here are 10 places of interest not mentioned, which are based on Arkansas State Parks. My 2 cents - State Parks are resources passed over too many times. Besides the fact that many are free or of very low cost to visitor ... the real value is in the role each park played in the history of the state.

Taken with great pride from the great website of:
https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/park-finder/

1). History - Historic Washington State Park
2). Caves - Devil's Den State Park - Includes rustic cabins for rent
3). Driving - Talimena Scenic Byway (Starting at Mena, AR) and ending at Queen Wilhelmina State Park and Lodge
4). Archeological - Toltec Mounds Archeological State Park - Easy drive from LR
5). Geological - Crowley's Ridge State Park - Only other similar area found in Siberia.
6). Mining - Crater of Diamonds State Park, the only diamond-producing site in the world open to the public
7). Civic War - Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park - one of America's most intact Civil War battlefields
8). White Water/Outdoors - Cossatot River State Park-Natural Area {Side note - I've been through one of the Class V in a Canoe - backwards!}
9). Camping - Lake - Boating - Etc - Lake Ouachita State Park - Named one of the cleanest lakes in America
10). Wildlife - Lake Chicot State Park - Search for the famous Ivory-Billed Woodpecker
Extra bit of information: Great River Birding Trail Site Information

Background - I have been to every one of these parks with my family, parents, or some sort of community trip (Cub Scouts, Scouts, Etc). I do not work for State or have any family involved. But growing up we were of limited means and spent many a vacation on tight funds. State Parks are very much a "Bang for the Buck" experience.

Last edited by Fasder; 08-27-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Follow-up =)~

Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 PM

620 posts, read 2,084,305 times
OH but you didn't mention Mammoth Springs State Park. An artesian spring flowing 9 million gallons of water an hour to form the head of Spring River is the principal attraction.
https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/mammothspring/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas