Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times

Advertisements

Elected official in Rural Arkansas posts hateful remarks on his facebook page. I am glad that he resigned, but it is a sad commentary of at least some of the elected officials in Rural Arkansas.

Ark. school official resigning over anti-gay screed - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
If this MSNBC article has accurately reprinted the post as it appeared on Facebook, then I have to wonder how this guy became a school board member with such grammar/spelling.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,164,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Elected official in Rural Arkansas posts hateful remarks on his facebook page. I am glad that he resigned, but it is a sad commentary of at least some of the elected officials in Rural Arkansas.

Ark. school official resigning over anti-gay screed - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
No, it's not reflective of rural Arkansas. There are hateful people all over the world. I'm glad he resigned, as his hatred has no place in a position of leadership in any community, especially around children. When you read what he posted on Facebook (as well as his responses to comments), it's obvious this jack@ass is filled with loathing for gay people, wishing them death, etc. Good riddance.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM

837 posts, read 2,250,139 times
I don't see it that way either. this is one ignorant man, and when his remarks became known, the response from people all over Arkansas was instantaneous and overwhelming. people were protesting at the school the next day. the state's educational leaders at all levels denounced his statement. and he was forced to resign.

it's certainly a sad commentary on one man. and yes, there are people like him everywhere, and in positions of power that they shouldn't be in. but it's not something limited to or representative of Arkansas.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Lightbulb From Ohio...Support For Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
No, it's not reflective of rural Arkansas. There are hateful people all over the world. I'm glad he resigned, as his hatred has no place in a position of leadership in any community, especially around children. When you read what he posted on Facebook (as well as his responses to comments), it's obvious this jack@ass is filled with loathing for gay people, wishing them death, etc. Good riddance.
Miss Kimballette, I don't think people would (or should) have negative opinions about Arkansas, or any of its' residents, based on the so-called 'opinions' of one gay-hating, cowardly jabroni, who's lucky that the parent or relative of someone gay didn't seek him out and crack him one in the mouth...

I had a chance to see the story on Headline News/CNN, and they showed a screenshot of the Facebook post, highlighting some of the passages...I'll tell you, I went from zero to highly-p****d-off in about 3 seconds...but knowing that outrage against him was swift and instantaneous, and that he stepped down behind it, is a POWERFUL statement of intolerance for stupidity from Arkansans...sometimes, people speaking and acting as a united front can still make a difference...

It would be quite foolish of anyone in or out of your great state, to ponder for even a second that this pea-brained, small-minded punk (yeah, I went there LOL) represents the mindset of ANYONE from the rural portion of the state to the cities...he doesn't, and thank god, he SHOULDN'T...god bless the good people of Arkansas for standing up and saying 'ohhh no you don't!!!'

Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I don't see it that way either. this is one ignorant man, and when his remarks became known, the response from people all over Arkansas was instantaneous and overwhelming. people were protesting at the school the next day. the state's educational leaders at all levels denounced his statement. and he was forced to resign.

it's certainly a sad commentary on one man. and yes, there are people like him everywhere, and in positions of power that they shouldn't be in. but it's not something limited to or representative of Arkansas.
Well McCance is not the only one from Pleasant Plains who feels the way McCance feels. This is a blog post from Arkansas blog:

"What a bunch of cowards you all are. This is America and we used to have freedom of speech, as long as you are not talking about Homosexuals, Muslims, or Blacks. We lost that freedom when you elected that coward Obama who only stands up for Muslims and blacks. Where was he with his Beer Summit on this one ?
You are cowards by the fact that you stand up for the Homosexuals who were threatening the whole Mccance families lives. They had to flee the state due to the death threats from the Homosexuals. They are the ones who need to be fleeing. If you are homosexual, or the ****** Anthony Turner who started this whole mess--Stay out of Pleasant Plains, you are not welcome here !!!! Take your clown circus somewhere else. If you agree with the Homosexuals that death threats are okay, and we do not have the right to free speech if we have something to say about them, then you can keep your stupid butts out of Pleasant Plains too.

For you idiots that think it was okay to have a gay rights protest at our school, consider the fact that it almost , and may still cost the students and community our Fall Festival and ballgames due to saftey concerns for the students because of the death threats from the Homosexual community.

You are all as stupid as the Homosexuals and the media who blew this all out of proportion for a photo op and cause to further their gay rights agenda. If you don`t like what we have to say, then stay the hell out of our town. We are not here to please you or kiss your butt as Obama does for the muslims and blacks."

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog...n-for-tomorrow

You can't say it is just one person from that city. With a town with only 1.2% having a bachelor's degree, ignorance may be an issue.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Lightbulb Hotair...Thanks For Posting That

Quote:
Well McCance is not the only one from Pleasant Plains who feels the way McCance feels. This is a blog post from Arkansas blog:

"What a bunch of cowards you all are. This is America and we used to have freedom of speech, as long as you are not talking about Homosexuals, Muslims, or Blacks. We lost that freedom when you elected that coward Obama who only stands up for Muslims and blacks. Where was he with his Beer Summit on this one ?
You are cowards by the fact that you stand up for the Homosexuals who were threatening the whole Mccance families lives. They had to flee the state due to the death threats from the Homosexuals. They are the ones who need to be fleeing. If you are homosexual, or the ****** Anthony Turner who started this whole mess--Stay out of Pleasant Plains, you are not welcome here !!!! Take your clown circus somewhere else. If you agree with the Homosexuals that death threats are okay, and we do not have the right to free speech if we have something to say about them, then you can keep your stupid butts out of Pleasant Plains too.

For you idiots that think it was okay to have a gay rights protest at our school, consider the fact that it almost , and may still cost the students and community our Fall Festival and ballgames due to saftey concerns for the students because of the death threats from the Homosexual community.

You are all as stupid as the Homosexuals and the media who blew this all out of proportion for a photo op and cause to further their gay rights agenda. If you don`t like what we have to say, then stay the hell out of our town. We are not here to please you or kiss your butt as Obama does for the muslims and blacks."

McCance protest in Pleasant Plains | Arkansas Blog

You can't say it is just one person from that city. With a town with only 1.2% having a bachelor's degree, ignorance may be an issue.
It amazes me what people will say under the supposed anonymity of a chat forum, or a newspaper blog/comment section, yet I'll bet you (and I know I'm about to sound draconian here) that person would never have the stones to say something like that in public, to someone's face, because the response they would receive would be swift, direct, and ultimately somewhat physical...

I am not condoning physical violence/retaliation, mind you, but people who post stuff like that belong to a species known as the 'internet bada**'...and your comment about ignorance looms large as well...this is 2010, and yet the deep-seated prejudices that some folk still cling to are just mind-boggling

Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I am sure most of us see it the same way you see it, the guy could live in Ca, Fl, Hawaii, UK or be our neighbor: there are bigots everywhere, this isn't an AR situation but a world situation.

Nita

Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:

McCance protest in Pleasant Plains | Arkansas Blog

ok, for heaven's sake, this is a town of less than 300 people. It certainly doesn't represent all of AR or even a small portion of AR. And get off the kick of people with educations being superior. Are you claiming everyone who has a 4 year degree or more is totally open minded?

No one here is defending anything he said or did nor are we defending anyone else that says or does the same thing, but to make a deal out of something that happened in a town of 275 people, give us all a break...

Nita

Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
It amazes me what people will say under the supposed anonymity of a chat forum, or a newspaper blog/comment section, yet I'll bet you (and I know I'm about to sound draconian here) that person would never have the stones to say something like that in public, to someone's face, because the response they would receive would be swift, direct, and ultimately somewhat physical...

I am not condoning physical violence/retaliation, mind you, but people who post stuff like that belong to a species known as the 'internet bada**'...and your comment about ignorance looms large as well...this is 2010, and yet the deep-seated prejudices that some folk still cling to are just mind-boggling
In most instances I would agree with you; however, it is amazing what I hear from people on a daily basis here in Fort Smith. THe Dude from Pleasant Plains who posted his post on Facebook felt comfortable saying those things with people knowing who he is. In a town of 267 people, everyone probably knows everyone. Nita can say what she wishes about nut cases all over the country, but she has to admit that she has been taken by surprise at some of the things that people have said to her in Fort Smith...as if she would not be offended.

I hear something almost daily here in Fort Smith that would be deeply offensive to a black person, gay person, atheist or even a democrat. I am none of the above, but how do the people know that when they are saying these bigoted racist things. They just assume that I am not. I have found here in Arkansas...outside of Little Rock, that such things being said are acceptable in normal conversation. This has not been the case in other places that I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas