Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 37,061 times

Advertisements

I am from southeast arkansas and consider myself open minded, that being said I don't like the word tolerate to me it implies you have to put up with something you don't agree with. I've had and have friends who are gay/bi and I accept them I don't tolerate them. You either accept or you don't, if you don't accept thats fine, my friends didn't push me into accepting them. I think a person should be judged on their attitude toward others and not their lifestyle. There are plenty "straight" people out there who drive me buggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 282,672 times
Default Redbird ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcreation00 View Post
endlosung: while I realize this is a forum on Arkansas, I just couldn't resist the opportunity you presented for further discussion on gay "tolerance." I am what you would call a "hillbilly" Christian from northern CA. What I resent by a large part of the gay community is trying to force everyone to say what they do is right, and calling it "tolerance." "Intolerance" then becomes the title given to anyone who does not think they are wonderful for being gay. Well, if I believe that something is wrong, then it does not make me intolerant, it makes me in disagreement. The gay lifestyle is wrong, wrong, wrong, and those who practice it will face judgement before God one day. That being said, I as a heterosexual am no worse or no better than any gay person. We all will be judged equally. But, I will not be compelled to call something good that is bad, and that is my right. Gays have the right to live that way, but not to force it down people's throats.

Regarding religion in school, please educate yourself on the Constitution of the United States. "Separation of the church and state" is not in it. The Constitution declares that there shall be no state religion. I do not think Christianity should be mandated in public schools, but prayer should be allowed, and elective classes should be allowed. Just recently in a city in my area, there was an elementary class on the Muslim faith where the students pretended to be Muslims for a week. If that had been a class on Christianity, imagine the uproar! If that is allowed, then similiar Christian activities should be permitted as well.

I hope this has relieved some of your ignorance regarding hillbilly Christians.

Liberals can be so much fun ; )
Redbird, Where's the tirade in this. Well stated Newcreation !

Old 02-24-2007, 06:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcreation00 View Post
endlosung: while I realize this is a forum on Arkansas, I just couldn't resist the opportunity you presented for further discussion on gay "tolerance." I am what you would call a "hillbilly" Christian from northern CA. What I resent by a large part of the gay community is trying to force everyone to say what they do is right, and calling it "tolerance." "Intolerance" then becomes the title given to anyone who does not think they are wonderful for being gay. Well, if I believe that something is wrong, then it does not make me intolerant, it makes me in disagreement. The gay lifestyle is wrong, wrong, wrong, and those who practice it will face judgement before God one day. That being said, I as a heterosexual am no worse or no better than any gay person. We all will be judged equally. But, I will not be compelled to call something good that is bad, and that is my right. Gays have the right to live that way, but not to force it down people's throats.

Regarding religion in school, please educate yourself on the Constitution of the United States. "Separation of the church and state" is not in it. The Constitution declares that there shall be no state religion. I do not think Christianity should be mandated in public schools, but prayer should be allowed, and elective classes should be allowed. Just recently in a city in my area, there was an elementary class on the Muslim faith where the students pretended to be Muslims for a week. If that had been a class on Christianity, imagine the uproar! If that is allowed, then similiar Christian activities should be permitted as well.

I hope this has relieved some of your ignorance regarding hillbilly Christians.

Liberals can be so much fun ; )
Thank you for telling it like it is, The truth,

Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Default pardon my sarcasm

mlrfo4 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrfo4 View Post
Redbird, Where's the tirade in this. Well stated Newcreation !
Yes, newcreation, kudos! My use of the word tirade was referenced in my original post: "...such and such is wrong, wrong, wrong...."

Thanks for asking. It is the most righteous and uncreative hostility, that of intolerance based on religion. To beat an already beaten dead horse, if homosexuality is wrong to you and your religion, then don't practice it. I am not going to condemn other people simply because my religion states "x" behavior is immoral or "wrong, wrong, wrong".

Or to put it even simpler, "ya'll quit eatin bacon, cuz its wrong wrong wrong and sez so in my Bible. Lookee here and I'll show you.. hey! WAIT! don't push me offa yer porch! ouch! leeeme alone you sinner, you!"

(oops, another redmark on my profile)

Back to the issue now folks. I think terms like tolerance, acceptance, and disagreeing with the gay lifestyle can be fun if turned out! I live in Baptist country. I accept that, I tolerate anyone who leaves me be, and I disagree with their lifestyle- BUT, I do not habitually say, "you Baptists are wrong, wrong, wrong". Which is exactly what began this discussion.

Are all gays tolerant? No! It is amusing watching the subdivisions within the gay world. Like the gay animal rights activists protesting the gay rodeo. Gay bears rolling their eyes at the twinks, and the twinks saying ewww when the Prime Timers sit down for a good drag show. Its good to be american.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 38,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAwanderer View Post
just curious angi, why is it a 'sad shame' ???

Just because not everyone believes in your lifestyle choice?

Just as you are free TO enjoy it, others are free to think it is disgusting.
It's not a "lifestyle choice," hon. People don't get to choose who they are.

That being the cse, I personally would consider finding who some of your fellow beings are to be "disgusting," a sad sad shame indeed.

Just sign me.....

Straight But Not Narrow

Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Someone on this board said that Oklahoma was cheaper.

I have found that the Unitarian Church is very tolerant of all people. Find a town where that is located and you won't have to be quiet about who you are. They also accept atheists and all religions.

East Oklahoma is beautiful, but if you want mountains they are not very tall here or in Arkansas. I can't remember if you wanted mountains or woods. We do have woods in east Oklahoma.

If you are getting only one SSD check, it won't be lowered by moving, but if you get two checks, you will find that the second one will be lowered a lot.

I am not Christian either, and yet I live in the Bible Belt. I just keep quiet about it and politics, except that I go to the Unitarian Church where you don't have to keep quiet about your beliefs. I am also accepting of gays and yet understand how some people feel and so believe that I can't expect everyone to be tolerant, and so I try to be tolerant of those who like Bush, etc.

I understand your need to have friends that accept everything about you. I would feel the same. When it comes to religion, I allow my pen pals their pentacostal beliefs as long as they don't try to save me or go about preaching, so that would apply to politics as well.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:48 PM

85 posts, read 308,219 times
Default Gay Community= Eureka Springs

Lived there and know for a fact that the gay community is certainly accepted among the people of Eureka Springs... hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,501 times
Camden, AR here. I know that Camden has a larger openly gay population than most of the surrounding area (it is still tiny, but everything is relative). Most citizens are very tolerant of other types - the most important thing is that you are a good neighbor.

There is some intolerance, yes. But it is not as widespread as it seems, and your personal actions are more important to your image. Even if you were openly gay, you would not get shot, despite what camperkin says, even twenty or thirty or fifty years ago.

Arkansas is still the kind of place where one can move to, do their own thing, and mind their own business. But you won't need to be a hermit. If your hobbies are hunting and fishing, you will have no problem fitting in.

In short, I recommend rural Arkansas to you. Most posters have recommended Eureka Springs, which is a neat place, but honestly everywhere here is a fine choice. It is very cheap to live here (especially in the southern half of the state), and the hiking and fishing is great. When you decide, don't think your sexuality is going to be a problem in Arkansas.

PS. If there's any, there's probably more intolerance in the extreme South and East (ie, say from Union County to Monticello and then north a ways through the Delta), but you shouldn't not live there because of that, but because those parts are in general a pretty poor place to live.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 PM

562 posts, read 659,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
Wondering about tolerance in the rural communities. I'm looking to relocate to a rural area (Mena?).

Bi 60yr old male here. Very low profile, average man. Pretty much a loner type, I relish my privacy. But I'm friendly, respected, and respectful in return. Have had 2 committed relationships in my lifetime. I'm not looking for gay bars or sexual encounters, but I can't dismiss that part of my being. Life always seems to offer surprises when least expected.

Really looking forward to having a few acres, a small cabin, doing some fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.

Any need for a good bicycle mechanic in these areas? I would need a part-time job to keep myself busy & bring in a few extra dollars.

Thanks
You're probably alright in that state...... Hillary Clinton is bi-sexual and she didn't have any problems!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,435 times
just to add my 2 cents Eureka Springs is very open to the gay community, many of the shops and galleries are owned by Gays and Lesbians. three times a year they have their gay pride weekend April, August and November. last year we went all three times and had a great time. you can also have your privacy if you would like if you buy or build just out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas