Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 PM

33 posts, read 111,252 times

Advertisements

I currently live in New York but am finalizing a new job opportunity in Arkansas. I will be working in Pine Bluff but am looking for some guidance.

I have a family of 4, myself, my wife (stay at home mom) 10 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son. I am seriously looking at Little Rock. It seems beautiful.

Can anyone provide any info on Little Rock, good or bad, schools.

Also I am looking to rent a home at the beginning, so if you know of a rental or are a realtor then please send me a private message.

I greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can provide to us.

Also how are the Winters, cold?? snowy? icy? How about the summers?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
If your job is in PB, why look at Little Rock? The commute is quite a bit. I lived in White Hall (northern suburb of PB) and it was still a 30+ mile trip to downtown Little Rock. My sister-in-law and family as well as a few friends live in White Hall. It's a nice place.

Winter is cold. During actual winter it will get below freezing during the nights sometimes. Over the last few years it has snowed once or twice each winter with accumulations around 3 to 6 inches. That will stay around for a day or two sometimes. Summers are hot and humid but that is the same across the South.

-Robert

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,571 times
my brother moved from mass to hot springs village, arkansas. he says its the best place to be in that state! its a gated community with its own services and schools, and only those who can afford, live there. he says a lot of arkansas is red neck territory, and not so fine. i used to live in greenlawn, ny, btw :-)

Old 11-10-2008, 09:16 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChronowitz View Post
I currently live in New York but am finalizing a new job opportunity in Arkansas. I will be working in Pine Bluff but am looking for some guidance.

I have a family of 4, myself, my wife (stay at home mom) 10 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son. I am seriously looking at Little Rock. It seems beautiful.

Can anyone provide any info on Little Rock, good or bad, schools.

Also I am looking to rent a home at the beginning, so if you know of a rental or are a realtor then please send me a private message.

I greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can provide to us.

Also how are the Winters, cold?? snowy? icy? How about the summers?

Thank you
Winters here will be much more mild then those of New York. It gets cold, but not like your current state, and we rarely get snow, and when we do it doesn't stick around a day or so. Summers are HOT and HUMID! But if I remember correctly New York isn't much different in those regards. We do probably have more "critter" issues.

If you pick Little Rock you are looking at a 45 mile commute (as shown on Map Quest) or more depending on your exact location. So I would recommend you look elsewhere, but i wouldn't recommend Pine Bluff for your residence.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,486 times
I'm with the others, Little Rock is a long way to drive twice a day. I suggest you do a search on this forum for White Hall and see what you find. Pine Bluff is definitely not somewhere you'd want to live right in the middle of. There are some small communities right outside of Pine Bluff, though, that you might want to consider if you like country living. One in particular area that we always go through on our trips to Arkansas is south of Pine Bluff on Hwy. 15 (that's the number my (old) map shows, but I thinking the road signs say something different). Anyway, it is between Pine Bluff and Warren, and it goes through little communities like Pinebergen, Calmer, Pansy....very pretty countryside, rolling hills, farms, very nice. Not much for rent, I'm sure, but when you start looking for a place to settle, you might want to keep it in mind. One of the little communities in there even has its own little school, and it looks very nice. For the life of me, I can't remember which one it is....maybe some others here can help me out on that.

Every time I go through there, I think, "If I had to work in Pine Bluff, this is where I'd live!"

Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM

452 posts, read 1,640,503 times
there is no winter. If your moving to PB... MAY GOD BE WITH U MY FRIEND!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawaltz View Post
my brother moved from mass to hot springs village, arkansas. he says its the best place to be in that state! its a gated community with its own services and schools, and only those who can afford, live there. he says a lot of arkansas is red neck territory, and not so fine. i used to live in greenlawn, ny, btw :-)
Hmmm.................

I'm in redneck territory.

Are those gates to keeps us out....

or them in?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 47,963 times
What ever you do, don't move in Pine Bluff! Nice communities are around; Sheidan, Woodlawn, even Little Rock. Although White Hall is right next door, the trash of Pine Bluff is steadily moving into White Hall, with all the building of apartment complexes, etc. Best bet, IMO is to steer clear of anything within 20 miles of PB.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 21,916 times
Post Great Move

So its from NewYork to Arkansas, WOW, what a change but gotta give you just my advice and oppion anyway... first of all you are totally moving to a totally beautiful great state and my dear gotta say most of these small town and most of Arkansas is in the dark ages compare to your present life of living and that is not to cut it down but that is just something you have to determin on your own. Second of all Ft.Smith is a total cool area, good schooling,college and the streets are easy to get around in as well as controled of the design for easy access, lots of things and lots of history within that city, and by the way just look it up on the internet of cities, population, criminal rate, schools, weather and all. Just maybe that will help you, but earlier someone mention Hot Springs, well they are right on that city as well, that is one pretty city and nice, just the streets are totally busy for a small town with a big city no matter its one pretty pace as well, gotta stick with my choice though... Ft.Smith mainly because of I was there for one week end done a few things as well as drove around checking some stuff out and never been there before but the catcher is now I am in the process of moving there I totally feel in love with it. WOW its a sharp place and another thing is this is the first time I have ever lived alone and I am 43yrs. but hey when you find something so great and feel it in your heart and soul you have to go for it. So I will be switching to College there and going into Criminal Justice. Nothing can hold me back after seeing and being there for such a short time, very very short.

Good luck to you and your family,
Hope you enjoy the move which I have no doubt you will find it beautiful, just dont talk too much to people easy to get rumers true or false around the small towns. (sorry small town people) I am leaving one and been born and raised here since birth, so I have known this issue for too many years.

again good luck,
HopeT

Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,486 times
JChronowitz, in reference to the post above about how great Ft. Smith is, be aware that Ft. Smith is not a possibility for you to live in if you work in Pine Bluff.....waaay to far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas