Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,226 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I’m a journalist from Denmark (Small country in Scandinavia, northern Europe) and I’m going to Arkansas to cover the Presidential inauguration in January.

My task is to look at some of the challenges Obama is facing as soon as he enters the White House. In other words, to talk to to people far away from Washington, where the political correspondents will cover the actual event.

I have never been to Arkansas, so I hope someone can help me:

I want to make a story about the consequences of the recession. Does anybody know what towns have been hit the hardest?

Looking forward to visiting Arkansas

Sinc.
Andreas

Last edited by Andreas Denmark; 12-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: It was all shown with codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Why are you coming to Arkansas to cover the inauguration?

There's not really an inauguration angle to cover from Arkansas.

As regards the recession, there are a lot of truck drivers in Arkansas. That would be a good starting point for how the recession affects average Americans. JB Hunt in Lowell is one of the biggest carriers. Then talk to some of the independent drivers. Banks could steer you to some of the drivers who've lost their trucks. Another occupation would be builders/developers. Or realtors. Because of the downturn in the housing market, people associated with those businesses have been hit hard.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,859,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Denmark View Post
Hi,

I’m a journalist from Denmark (Small country in Scandinavia, northern Europe) and I’m going to Arkansas to cover the Presidential inauguration in January.

My task is to look at some of the challenges Obama is facing as soon as he enters the White House. In other words, to talk to to people far away from Washington, where the political correspondents will cover the actual event.

I have never been to Arkansas, so I hope someone can help me:

I want to make a story about the consequences of the recession. Does anybody know what towns have been hit the hardest?

Looking forward to visiting Arkansas

Sinc.
Andreas
Enjoy your visit. Arkansas is far away physically & mentally from Washington, DC.

I saw a study a year ago that indicated Denmark had the happiest people in the world. It looks like a beautiful country.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,226 times
Thanks for your input, DC! Sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why are you coming to Arkansas to cover the inauguration?

There's not really an inauguration angle to cover from Arkansas.
Exactly!

In january the reporters will cover plenty of speeches of plans, hopes and ambitions from the politicians in Washington. I want to hear what "ordinary" Americans want and expect to happen. I hope to speak to a lot of people during my two weeks in Arkansas. I did the same thing during the presidential campaign where I went to rural Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Enjoy your visit. Arkansas is far away physically & mentally from Washington, DC.

I saw a study a year ago that indicated Denmark had the happiest people in the world. It looks like a beautiful country.
Thanks, Joebaldknobber!

I read about the report as well. I think it was based on a lot of factors like suicide rate, corruption, crime, surveys, etc. etc. However, I think happiness is a hard thing to measure like that.

Denmark is a very small and quiet, but quite nice place. Except for the rainy weather...

Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 AM

620 posts, read 2,084,602 times
Arkansas is one of the least affected states when it comes to the recession. This economic downturn is all about deflation and deleveraging in big city banking and real estate after a speculative bubble.

Talk about speculative bubbles to most Arkansans and you'll get, "You mean those big round things you use to make soap bubbles with?"

If you're going to cover the economic angle from my home state, you might want to take the tack that close to the ground little has changed, despite the alarmist headlines.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,647 times
I'm not sure about the entire state of Arkansas but NW Arkansas does not seem to be all that affected by the current economic downturns. At least no where near what is happening in other parts of the country. I would think Michigan would be a better state to check out for what you're looking for.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 PM

620 posts, read 2,084,602 times
Oops, guess it wasn't clear that my home state is Arkansas.

Yes, Michigan is probably in the top 5 states affected by the recession.

My point is that most of the effect is on Wal Street, not in the rural counties of Arkansas. It might be slightly harder to get a job in Little Rock, but it wasn't easy before hand.

But, a story can have many different angles. The real story may be that life outside the mainstream of the excesses of big business carries on despite the adversity in the headlines.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
It might be good for Arkansas to be the setting of such a story.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,552 times
Yeah NW Arkansas has a pretty sound economy compared to the rest of the nation. I might consider Michigan, motorcity, it's also a blue state.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 PM

795 posts, read 2,299,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Denmark View Post
Hi,

I’m a journalist from Denmark (Small country in Scandinavia, northern Europe)
Andreas
I'm second generation American of Danish grandfathers. One from Horsens and the other from Copenhagen.

I have been trying to find out if there is a statue of a Professor Rasmussen in a square in the old part of Copenhagen. His wife was suppose to be the Countess Louise. Any assistance in this would be much Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas