Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:14 PM

660 posts, read 2,440,668 times

Advertisements

Hey all
looking for some information on Altus
is it expensive to live there how are the people,churches,
anything to do for kids,any holiday fests or regular festivals fairs etc... (love those )
how are the schools, baby sitters, daycare
any bars and stores/diners/restaurants that would be hiring,
any tanning - nail - and hair salons or any in a nearby town
not looking to buy a house but does anybody rent out a basement or attic or are there any apartment buildings

I'm a young single mother my daughter will be 4 by the time I plan on moving,
so any information would be greatly appreciated

and lastly what do I need to become a resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 03:13 PM

113 posts, read 570,500 times
Altus is a very small town between Clarksville and Fort Smith. There is nothing in altus really. Just your typical small town stores and restaurants. However there are some very good places to eat on the town square. Altus is the winery center of Arkansas and so there are bars/liquor stors in the area. In fact it is one of the few places in the State where you can buy beer on a Sunday. I would not expect to find any apartments in the area, however I'm really not sure about that. Fort Smith/Van Buren would be the best place for shopping and partying. Altus residents will likely be very friendly as most small towns are.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 101,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
Hey all
looking for some information on Altus
is it expensive to live there how are the people,churches,
anything to do for kids,any holiday fests or regular festivals fairs etc... (love those )
how are the schools, baby sitters, daycare
any bars and stores/diners/restaurants that would be hiring,
any tanning - nail - and hair salons or any in a nearby town
not looking to buy a house but does anybody rent out a basement or attic or are there any apartment buildings

I'm a young single mother my daughter will be 4 by the time I plan on moving,
so any information would be greatly appreciated

and lastly what do I need to become a resident
I've been to Altus, and I wouldn't recommend living there if you don't plan on buying a house. Compared to Fort Smith and all cities above, Altus is a great little town to just get away. Although nail salons, bars, stores, diners and everything else you mentioned above is found in Fort Smith. Apartments are pretty cheap here but daycare isn't always easy to come by (at least for infants.) Be prepared to pay as little as $24 per week up to $150 for day care/pre-school services.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post
I've been to Altus, and I wouldn't recommend living there if you don't plan on buying a house. Compared to Fort Smith and all cities above, Altus is a great little town to just get away. Although nail salons, bars, stores, diners and everything else you mentioned above is found in Fort Smith. Apartments are pretty cheap here but daycare isn't always easy to come by (at least for infants.) Be prepared to pay as little as $24 per week up to $150 for day care/pre-school services.
would you know of any places that is smaller than
fort smith i see it has like 80,000 people living there
my biggest concerns are safety childcare , jobs in diners/bars , affordable housing,
and fun stuff to do for my daughter and me

i could always drive to the nearest town for salons and shopping

Old 02-14-2007, 03:45 PM

113 posts, read 570,500 times
There are lots of places smaller than Fort Smith, but that still offer the stuff you're looking for. Russellville, Conway, Hot Springs, are among the few larger towns that come to mind. The towns just get smaller from here. Harrison, Mtn Home, Clinton, Newport, Wynn, the list goes on and on. I would suggest living in a town of 8000 or more if you don't wanna drive a few miles to get to a place with the amenities you're looking for.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopig_sooie View Post
There are lots of places smaller than Fort Smith, but that still offer the stuff you're looking for. Russellville, Conway, Hot Springs, are among the few larger towns that come to mind. The towns just get smaller from here. Harrison, Mtn Home, Clinton, Newport, Wynn, the list goes on and on. I would suggest living in a town of 8000 or more if you don't wanna drive a few miles to get to a place with the amenities you're looking for.
thankyou
i'll have to check them out

Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM

28 posts, read 76,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post
im interested in altus is there any rental houses their?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 21,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy_duke View Post
im interested in altus is there any rental houses their?
There are a few apartments, but I don't know about rental houses in Altus. As mentioned above, Altus is an interesting little town and is in a beautiful location. I drive through there at least three times a week. (I preach in Coal Hill which is about five miles on down the road.) Your best bet for a rental house may be in Clarksville or Ozark.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,595 times
Exclamation Urgent

I need any information on Abundant Life Fellowship in Altus, Arkansas. Any contact information, preferably a website / e-mail address. Thank you

Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,311 times
Default good place to visit but not live

I have grown up in the area and so have my kids, but I do not recommend moving to the area. My kids were ENCOURAGED by the Altus School System(before consolidation) to DROP OUT AND GET A GED. The same teachers are still there. Also there is a problem with drugs in the area and with adults buying alcohol for the minors. I have dealt with this personally with the "adults". I also talked with the liquor stores and was told that they can't do anything about it even when I told them who the person was buying for the minors. It is a small town, country living, but I WOULD NOT recommend to raise impressionable children in due to the fact that there is a drug issue and multiple sources of getting alcohol for minors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas